Author Topic: Any news about voice acting?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Any news about voice acting?
I understand there is (or was) an attempt to voice this. Hows it going? Never heard anything for a long time.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Re: Any news about voice acting?
I can tell you this. It's happening. GB knows more

I had always wanted to try my hand at this, my mic works ok but i dunno exactly how clear it sounds and wav files sometimes get a bit big... but even if its for a minor role like Corey or something (in case they reprise their roles in WiH) i wouldnt mind trying it out.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I had always wanted to try my hand at this, my mic works ok but i dunno exactly how clear it sounds and wav files sometimes get a bit big... but even if its for a minor role like Corey or something (in case they reprise their roles in WiH) i wouldnt mind trying it out.

Corey... minor role.... :wtf:

Check the Voice Acting child board in Missions and Campaigns. Those roles are filled, I think you should try your hand there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah, we've got a complete list over in Missions and Campaigns/Voice Acting.

As it stands, we're moooostly done. We need to cast a few more minor roles, but all the major roles are done except the biggest one: Samuel Bei.

We're waiting to hear back from our various Sam candidates.

After that, we're gonna normalize the files, make sure they're in the right format, and send 'em over to Darius. Or maybe I'll actually do it myself now that I have access to FRED; I want to let him focus on WiH. Up to him.

I, um, also kind of suck at organization. I mostly do the PR and recruiting. Rian handles the organization. She is a godsend.

I'd anticipate another year at least. This stuff is time-consuming.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.

I'd anticipate another year at least. This stuff is time-consuming.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm actually not trying to be rude for once, more curious, but; what part of voice acting (especially one lead and a couple minor roles) could possibly take a year? I'd imagine the longest part would be getting the actor to actually record all the necessary lines and record them to fit to the game, inflection and tone wise. But as far as I know, converting them and referencing them into FRED and packaging them shouldn't take more than a weekend. Voicing them shouldn't take more than a couple weekends if the actor is purely using his free time to sit down and get them done.

Like I said, more curious than anything what goes into your estimate.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Getting suitable people to do all the lines, then waiting to hear back.

After that it's pretty fast.

And both of us are at really intense schools, I'm afraid, so there's some RL pressure.

Offline FoxtrotTango

• "...in a way, you've stolen his soul."
Just so you know, I'm still waiting for an Orestes Comm response. And I also plan to organize voiceacting for another campaign on this site, so I can appreciate the wait times. The pre-production session can be quite time-consuming as well.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Hey Foxtrot -- I should've been more explicit with my response in the VA thread.

There are some microphone noise issues with the lines, but, additionally, we have a voice actor from Voice123 in talks to do to the role. Your audition was strong, but -- as with ST:R -- we're hoping to draw on some semipro voice talent.

Let me see if we can find something else for you to do, though. One of the corvettes in the battle group, perhaps.

Offline FoxtrotTango

Hey Foxtrot -- I should've been more explicit with my response in the VA thread.

There are some microphone noise issues with the lines, but, additionally, we have a voice actor from Voice123 in talks to do to the role. Your audition was strong, but -- as with ST:R -- we're hoping to draw on some semipro voice talent.

Let me see if we can find something else for you to do, though. One of the corvettes in the battle group, perhaps.

Ah, that's fine. I can understand your hesitance on letting a voiceacting newbie like myself into the fray. I'm aware that I'll need a better recording medium than the headset I currently use, as the background noise has been a consistent problem since day one. I don't mind if I get to play one of the battlegroup corvettes, though. You can't get the big roles without having small ones as stepping stones.

Let me know what corvette you have in mind for me and I'll go ahead and start reviewing the role in question.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
To be honest, I would've jumped at your audition right off, but we've gotten some really strong talent (I swear the Temeraire comms officer is Judi Dench) and I'm afraid it's raised the bar considerably.

We currently have a Shakespearean actor working on Sam, for instance.

Offline FoxtrotTango

To be honest, I would've jumped at your audition right off, but we've gotten some really strong talent (I swear the Temeraire comms officer is Judi Dench) and I'm afraid it's raised the bar considerably.

We currently have a Shakespearean actor working on Sam, for instance.

I completely understand. If this was a B-level production, I'd probably be the Orestes Comm, but considering how high-profile the ending cast is going to be, the roles had to be shifted up in quality to suit it. Wouldn't be dignified if the protagonist was Seth Rogen and his commanding officer was Patrick Stewart, after all.

So, what corvette did you have in mind?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You should've heard it when I tried to do Sam.  :( I rejected myself, and then everyone else rejected me too.

Well, since you're probably going to get at the script before me, pick your favorite!