Author Topic: 2 Questions  (Read 1821 times)

Offline bKtHeG

• http://www.rtk-games.net
At the moment I'm trying to make a new linux-build. Therefore I have 2 questions regarding the code:

1. What features are only implemented in opengl or direct3d but not in both of them?

2. Since my last snapshop (5. October) there had been several heavy changes to the code (hardware transforming & lighting and the species update). A few days ago (about 5 or so) I updated my own source tree and now there is a problem regarding the UI. I was able to track this down to some point but now I have no idea anymore.
Description: After starting fs2 nearly every menu preselects one button (the first in the list) and it stays selected until I move the mouse over a different button. But this only deselects the selected button. The button I want to press reacts as if the mouse is over a clear area. This is not only a gfx-issue. It also reacts in this way when pressing a button. The only window where this does not happen is the dialog-box "Do you want to close Freespace 2 - Yes or no".

After a bit of debugging the problem seams to be that the UI masks are not handled in the correct way. The whole system only knows something around 255 (white) and 0 (black) as pixel value and because 0 is always linked to a button the system thinks that this button is selected. If I disable hotspots everything seams to be ok (some buttons have overlapping rects but nothing more). Does anybody has somekind of a hint or a tip how to fix the problem or at least where to look at? Or perhaps a description how the masks are linked with the correct hotspot-id?

bKtHeG
« Last Edit: October 26, 2003, 08:50:33 am by 1351 »

Offline Sticks

Here are the things I know:

HTL is more complete in D3D than it is in OGL.

Cloaking only works in OGL

As far as the UI stuff, I haven't been able to wrap my brain around that, so I'm pretty useless. Perhaps Kazan can help, as he seems to know the UI a little better than the rest of us.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline RandomTiger

D3D and OGL are going through various restructures, you might want to consider waiting for things to settle down.

Offline Inquisitor

waiting to release a formal build yes, but, he can get used to the code by doing somethign interim :)
No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:shaking: Preferably something small.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i haven't farked with the UI code really - except for bastard-hacking a little bit in the auth stuff - it didn't require understanding the code, just that it worked stable :D
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
At least on my machine, OpenGL seems to run significantly faster and the shinemaps also look nicer. There are no problems with the interface on the standard 1024x768x32 mode and I haven't encountered any stability issues, which is a refreshing change considering that my computer is currently quite messed up in other ways. D3D used to be faster in 3.55 but is quite sluggish in more recent builds, especially when there are lots of ships in view.

Any ideas on when the next release version of fs2_open is coming out? I am holding off testing my PI missions at the moment since there are several different versions floating around at the moment that each have their own features.

By the way, a new problem has come up in the launcher recently; it seems that it does not remember any changes made in the video tab and always reverts the settings to the default D3D5 whenever it is started, so I have to set the stuff there every time I start the launcher. Not a major issue, but it can get a bit annoying.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Use 3.5.5.  The current codebase is terribly buggy and will be for some time yet.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
3.55 is actually the worst of the lot since it has that extremely annoying targeting crash bug, although the D3D mode there is faster than with any of the other versions. The latest Phreak version with OGL seems to run best for me.