Author Topic: INFR1 ships in FRED2?  (Read 3941 times)

I am a total noob to FRED... i would have to go through the the Tutorial again just to remember how to use the freakin camera controls... lol.  But i was wondering... if it possible to use the new ships from INFR1 in FRED for my own missions?  if so, how?

Or is it copyrighted material?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I am a total noob to FRED... i would have to go through the the Tutorial again just to remember how to use the freakin camera controls... lol.  But i was wondering... if it possible to use the new ships from INFR1 in FRED for my own missions?  if so, how?

It is possible.

First, are you using FreeSpace Open or retail FS2?

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
What I do is extract the models I like with it's textures to it's folders. Then I scavenge through the vp of INFR1 for tbl, and then take that out as well and put inside my tbl file.

Snail: I am quite sure that whoever knows about Hard-Light, must be using SCP.

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project

Take a look around. There are many members who don't use the SCP because of old computers. I use retail FS2 in my second computer, for example.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5

If so, why does the FSPort need to retain retail compatibility? Are you telling me Goober's ultimate wisdom on this matter is incorrect?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
We don't need to retain retail compatibility... we just do it so more people can play our stuff. :D

I am using SCP yes... although i could switch to Retail easliy enough if need be... i have 2 seperate installs at the moment...

What I do is extract the models I like with it's textures to it's folders. Then I scavenge through the vp of INFR1 for tbl, and then take that out as well and put inside my tbl file.

And that is like reading Spanish to me... i know precisely NOTHING about modding...lol

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
1. Make a shortcut to FRED2 on your desktop.
2. Right click on it, select "Properties".
3. In the target box type "-fredhtl -mod <MODFolder>" (without quotations). The modfolder path does not have to be the full path (e.g.: "INFR1" not "C:\Games\FreeSpace2\INFR1")

4. Run FRED.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
that works as well, but if you want ONLY a specific ship, and not the entire campaign, follow the following steps.

1. Get VPView32 or any other program that can view VPs.
2. Check in your FreeSpace 2 -> data -> tables for a file named "Ship.tbl". Don't have it?
3. Then go back to the main FreeSpace 2 folder and click on Root_fs2.vp. Open it.
4. Extract "Ship.tbl" to the tables file.
5. Leave the file for now, and now open the vp file for INFR1.
6. Find the vp which contains the wanted ship (a pof file).
7. Can't find it? Then extract the ship.tbl file of INFR1 to DESKTOP NOT TABLES FOLDER
8. Double-click on the ship.tbl from the desktop. When windows asks you what to open it with, click Notpad.
9. Find the ship you want. (Example: Vesvius)
10. Copy vesvius table entry to the ship.tbl in the tables folder. Paste it somwhere between the right categories (e.g. Destroyers, fighters, bombers)
11. Locate the table entries ship model, and locate that file in the INFR1 Vp.
12. Extract the pof to models folder.
13. (I doubt you know how to do it)Copy the textures of the ship to maps.

Ok, you may ignore what I said, this makes no sense to you right? Well, a shortcut: Just tell me what ships you want, and I'll arrange the files for you. Keep this for future reference if you want to learn modding.

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....