Author Topic: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade  (Read 21592 times)

Re: BattleTech: Iron Knights' Crusade
Dat carnage tho 0_o

Offline Patriot

Dem accidental Fire rule man, such havoc. or were those deliberate fires(i didn't quite read everything as i am in a rush for food)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Accidental. Deliberately having torched the entire place is the sort of thing I'd have done.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

That was beautiful.

That accidental fire... heeeeeee!

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Wow, such smackdown.  And Segura only said two things the whole time.

And I didn't realize I have gunnery at 2.  I retract the previous request, let's aim for 2/2 and then cross to MechTech.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Wow, such smackdown.  And Segura only said two things the whole time.

And I didn't realize I have gunnery at 2.  I retract the previous request, let's aim for 2/2 and then cross to MechTech.

Honestly the Phoenix Hawk wasn't really drawing much attention to itself.  Most of the intense business was going on with Ralwood's Hunchback and Scourge's Wolverine.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Update for those aware:  I encountered a bug that prevented saving and advancing, and had to kill the program to fix it.

That's the bad news.  The good news is that the game loss are saved separetly and independent of the campaign file, and I was able to rescue or progress, beat down and all.

I also figured out how to add custom vehicles to the game without breaking it, so we now have a quartet of M113s on order.

Wait, cold war era tech?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Which works quite well in the Battletech setting. Most of the inner sphere is barely equal to 1990s tech in terms of what's available to the general public, with a few isolated bits and pieces that go into future tech. Using a 1950s era design, which can be built and serviced literally anywhere is only prudent.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

So Battletech is basically Firefly with giant robots and more death? Never looked at it that way. Just saw the 'mechs.

Offline Patriot

Pretty much, Joshua, pretty much.

Which is why we love it so much <3

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I find it funny they can build big, walking mechs and laz0rs, but can't even make a reliable autocannon that doesn't jam.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Patriot

I've never had a regular AC jam other than when i use the Rapid Fire rules(Regular ACs act like Ultra's, basically)

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ok, replace autocannon with gattling gun.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Ok, replace autocannon with gattling gun.

That's what's commonly called a "Machine Gun" in BattleTech.

Also no one has ever built a gatling gun that fires 90 mm shells fast enough to make a buzzing noise.

Offline Patriot

I'd imagine the sound of a 90mm gatling being the sound of death incarnate..

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
90mm? Hardly.

Humanity did make 30mm (and I think the russians make a 35mm one) gattling guns that rip tanks apart.
You kinda don't need to go higher. It's overkill. And the ammo weight and number becomes a bigger problem the bigger the shells are.

Offline Aesaar

This is horribly off-topic, but the GAU-8 doesn't rip tanks apart.  The PGU-14/B API DU round can only penetrate about 45-50mm of RHA at 1000m, which isn't even enough to penetrate a T-72B's roof armor at common engagement angles, let alone its front or side.  It can't penetrate a T-62's front or turret side armor either.  The GAU-8 is for killing light armor like IFVs, and soft targets.  It is in no way a dependable tank-killing weapon.  The A-10 carries the AGM-65 Maverick missile to deal with tanks, and it's with these that the overwhelming majority of A-10 tank kills have been scored.

That's 45-50mm RHA.  Most 120mm APFSDS rounds can penetrate around 600-700mm RHA at 1000m, depending on the round.  The TOW-2A is about 700mm.  The 9M119M1 Invar-M is around 950mm.  The GAU-8 isn't as special as popular culture would have you believe.  The Russians barely use their equivalent (the GSh-6-30) on CAS aircraft because the smaller and lighter GSh-2-30 can do the same job.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 05:26:54 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
90mm? Hardly.

Humanity did make 30mm (and I think the russians make a 35mm one) gattling guns that rip tanks apart.
You kinda don't need to go higher. It's overkill. And the ammo weight and number becomes a bigger problem the bigger the shells are.

A 30 mm gun like the GAU-8 is commonly referred to as an 2-class Autocannon in BattleTech.  It doesn't jam.  It also doesn't do a whole lot of damage to a target, because those bullets are small and BattleTech armor is one step short of magic.

For a little bit of reference for you, TrashMan, the 'Mech in this image (an Uziel UZL-2S "Jacob" in use during the Jihad, some 72 years from now) is using a pair of 5-class Light Autocannons.  Look at how ****ing huge those shells are.  Typical 5-class Autocannons of any stripe tend to range between 75 and 100 mm guns.  These guns do five damage per hit.

Offline Patriot

A 30 mm gun like the GAU-8 is commonly referred to as an 2-class Autocannon in BattleTech.  It doesn't jam.  It also doesn't do a whole lot of damage to a target, because those bullets are small and BattleTech armor is one step short of magic.

It was my understanding that Autocannons fired HE rounds and that Standard armortypes(Ferro included) are of the ablative sort. I forgot where i read this theory but i'm sure it was years ago on the bt forum itself.