Author Topic: Dimensional Eclipse Discussion Thread (original release thread)  (Read 153084 times)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: RELEASE: Dimensional Eclipse
That looks like its crashing on something with laser_protect_ship flag being set I'm not sure what I can do about that, unless it can be reproduced on retail then it's an engine bug...if not I don't have a clue.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline cio

It seems I found a solution to my problem (crash in c04).
The crash does not occur with the 8670 (?) windows build (sse2-version).

I attach the debug logs for crashing win (9292) and linux (compiled from svn).
Files are on a shared ntfs partition in both cases.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Reading this thread, I see that I'm having the same bug as cio. Is there a fix to this beyond simply demanding that I use Windows?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Droid803

Hm, maybe try an older linux build ~8670?
If one exists.
(´・ω・`)

Hello,

currently my game is crashing on the first real mission. I think its called encounter. The game CTDs once I wait a bit, when one of the characters asks how long the scans will take

On using the debugger this code appears before the mission loads.
Code: [Select]
For ship 'HA DD Hurricane', detail level
mismatch. Table has 4,
POF has 3.
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_6_15d_INF-20130106_r9485.exe! <no symbol>
kernel32.dll! BaseThreadInitThunk + 18 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 99 bytes
ntdll.dll! RtlInitializeExceptionChain + 54 bytes

If this is the bug I think it is, it can be solved by applying this patch: http://www.mediafire.com/?yoqnu9o18xgpvri
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Thanks so much.

I love this mod. The introduction was rather funny, and the setting is pretty cool. It's a rather difficult game however, and I am slowly making progress in the missions. But, overall it is great!

Offline Infamus

On certain missions the game will often have a graphics-related crash, and will slow to a bloody crawl, making certain missions completely unbeatable. No setting changes fix this.
On the "alternative" arc, it's the (first?) cap-ship vs. fight, and on the second chapter of the main arc it's the one where you're defending a base and a Tethys that's evacuating it.

I am using 3.6.18 final, running Win8 x64, and using a HIS HD5670, but I doubt it has anything to do with my graphics card because this crash carries through that entire instance of FSO. Meaning if I quit and open up any other mission in the same instance, it's still a bloody crawl.

This is both before and after the patch.

I'll try 3.7RC2 and come back with an update.
----
Okay, I tried 3.7 and it also crashes. It runs a lot smoother, but I still get that crash.

Somehow I think it may not have to do with DE, seeings that it carries over to other missions, but stops if my ship gets canned.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Is it just me or is the Patch 1 (AW_Patch1.vp), that is mentioned in the opening post, kind of obsolete now? It contains the following files:

anihull03.dds
anihull03-normal.dds
anihull03-shine.dds
wep_longinus.pcx

The DE11-Visual1.vp seems to contain these files already, with modifying dates that are newer than those in AW_Patch1.vp.

BTW the DE main campaign has been one of my favorites of all time, even though I had to skip a couple of missions. I really liked the fast paced combat. It makes this mod really unique compared to others. I also liked to main setting and story, even though I kind of wanted a more definitive ending than a sudden FS2_mainhall without a debriefing or an outro cutscene. Or is this yet another reference to Mass Effect 3 ending? :D

And my god, the soundtrack!! It kicks so much ass, from beginning to the end. A truly great collection I must say!

All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience and it left me wanting more! :)

Offline CT27

Is there possibly going to be a DE 2?  The ending, while ending on somewhat of a positive note, did leave a lot to do in the war.

Maybe we should wait until the 24th February 2014... because its FireSpace 3: Transdimensional Warfare release date  :lol:.

I have to say, Dimensional Eclipse was way too hard for me... i played it only on very easy. But luckily i saw a playthrough of it on Insane difficulty to know how it is meant to played :D.

Is it just me or is the Patch 1 (AW_Patch1.vp), that is mentioned in the opening post, kind of obsolete now? It contains the following files:

anihull03.dds
anihull03-normal.dds
anihull03-shine.dds
wep_longinus.pcx

The DE11-Visual1.vp seems to contain these files already, with modifying dates that are newer than those in AW_Patch1.vp.

Of course it is newer, because Dimensional Eclipse 1.1 was a completely redone version of Dimensional Eclipse... even it seems that it does not work very well and have more bugs than the original.

This thread is about the original Dimensional Eclipse.. Version 1.0 so to speak. And that version needed this patch to version, to tell apart, 1.0.1.

I also liked to main setting and story, even though I kind of wanted a more definitive ending than a sudden FS2_mainhall without a debriefing or an outro cutscene. Or is this yet another reference to Mass Effect 3 ending? :D

I understand it that way... because FireSpace 2 end in the same manner :D.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:39:51 pm by Deepstar »
Shivan here, Shivan there, Shivan everywhere.

My english isn't very well, so sorry for a few mistakes.

FreeSpace Let's Plays on my Channel:
| The Great War | Silent Threat | Operation Templar | Silent Threat: Reborn | Shivans - Phantoms | Shivans - Echo Gate | Shrouding the Light: Origins | Shrouding the Light | Cardinal Spear | Cardinal Spear: Vega | Awakenings | The Destiny of Peace | Between the Ashes: Mefistofele

Does anyone else have problems with broken trigger events in this mod? So far I've seen two missions that have buggy triggers ("Dissonance" and "Cornered Beasts"), making them nearly impossible to beat.

Spoiler:
In "Dissonance" when your objective is to defend the station, many times you can destroy all of the enemy ships only to have nothing happen. You just fly around with the game thinking you haven't completed your objectives yet. I had to play that mission five times before the mission complete event triggered and I was told I could depart. "Cornered Beasts" is the same way: you destroy the enemy fighter wings, but your own capital ship never jumps in to take over the battle. I still haven't managed to complete this mission

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm using FSO 3.7.1, MediaVPs 3.6.12, on Windows 7, and I downloaded all the newest game files yesterday. I really like this mod, but spending twenty minutes playing a mission only to fail due to a bad trigger is just obnoxious.

Edit: punctuation

Offline Droid803

These bugs are known.
It's something to do with difficulty-based scaling that was added in near the end of testing after complaints that the missions were too hard.
The patches available should address these issues (?)\

For example, the Dissonance bug should be fixed here: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84803.msg1726381#msg1726381 (place in [DE folder]/data/missions)
(´・ω・`)

Well, I thought I had the patches already, but I re-downloaded them anyway. One question: what am I supposed to do with AW_Core.vp? The instructions say to replace the old one with it, but there is no AW_Core.vp file to replace. There is a DE11-Core.vp file though. Do I replace that one or do I just leave both of them in the DE folder?

Offline Droid803

You shouldn't be using v1.1
It's broken and not supported.
(´・ω・`)

You shouldn't be using v1.1
It's broken and not supported.

??

I'm sorry, but I don't understand this. Are you saying that we have to counterintuitively download an older 1.0 version even though the opening post of this thread only contains links for 1.1 version?

If you want less people getting confused, maybe you should update the opening post.  :nervous:

Offline Droid803

1.1 was released without proper testing and is less stable than 1.0. It broke things.

Looks like someone replaced the 1.0 link on FSMods with the 1.1 one without informing me, which explains why there are people still downloading 1.1 when I closed the release thread for it and unpinned it.
The opening post has never changed, but it looks like the links it points to have...

And it looks like the mirror has expired. F U C K
(´・ω・`)

But on the other hand I think the 1.1 version is not that broken. You already fixed the c2:03 mission, so that leaves only the c2:06 as theoretically impassable. There was also 2 other mission that were too hard (for me at least) so I had to skip them: The Stealth mission and the one where you switch your ship and weaponry mid-mission (by entering hangar). The 1.1 campaign is still very enjoyable, but with these issues fixed it could become truly great. I already like the battle mechanics way more than 95 % of other mods.

So here are my questions:

1) What are the downsides of 1.0 version?

2) Is patching 1.1 version as simple as I think it would be, or are there deeper and more serious problems that would take too much time?

Offline Droid803

1.1 is the version that was (supposedly) cleaned up for 3.7.0 and integrates the new ship models, which replaced the placeholder ones that were in 1.0, with a few more difficulty adjustments. Functionally, they were supposed to be the same more or less, but due to some rushed/botched testing some game-breaking 'bugs' slipped through. Additionally, the 1.1 package wasn't cleaned properly and contains a large amount of unused assets, which range from buggy, dropped assets from development to things I was playing around with for side-campaigns and whatnot. Basically, someone took the dev folder and just zipped it without actually running modpack cleaner and uploaded it as 1.1 without any real standalone testing.

I was/am in the process of creating a cleaned, fixed, and tested re-packaging of "1.1" (which is where that mission patch is taken from). However, I'll be away from my home PC for the next month so nothing can happen in that regard at least in the short term.
(´・ω・`)

Okay, thank you for your response  :yes: