Author Topic: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.15.0-dev+73b131a (combined launcher/installer)  (Read 422886 times)

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.7.2 (combined launcher/installer)
Yup that is being addressed at this moment.  Hopefully a 0.7.3 will be out shortly to fix that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Re: PUBLIC BETA: Knossos 0.7.4 (combined launcher/installer)
0.7.4 has been released (0.7.3 was skipped due to problems with the new CI setup).

This version fixes the reported problems on Windows 7 and macOS. From now on releases for Windows, macOS, Ubuntu and Arch Linux will be built automatically which (hopefully) means that I'll be able to make new releases more frequently.

The Windows problem was that the bundled MSVCRT DLLs were incompatible with Windows 7 and I didn't notice because they aren't used on Windows 10. The macOS build was missing a required file for 7z which caused mod installations to fail because Knossos couldn't extract the downloaded archives. Finally, there was a problem which caused the first run wizard to be hidden after the first page.
There've been a lot of other fixes in 0.7.2 which are listed over on GitHub.

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Things are looking much better on the Mac.  No -psn_* crash, and the wizard doesn't disappear.  Although, I think it should at some point.  When I get to Suit Up, Pilot!, and log in as a mod developer, it pops up a Login Successful dialog box, and then I hit OK, and nothing changes.  Should a successful login be treated the same as clicking 'Finish'?  Or should it remove the central section of that page so you can't try to log in again?  I'm not getting any cues that logging in actually did anything is all.

Also, with all the various remote operations related to the account on that page (login, register, reset pass), some sort of spinner or graying of the screen while there are background tasks underway might be helpful, if high latency was ever encountered it could lead to confusion on the user's part as to whether they even clicked the button or not.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
A big THANK YOU for resolving the joystick problem  :yes: :yes: :yes:

Now, back to seat ! Soooo much campaigns to play  :pimp:
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

I have pointed it to the GOG installer EXE but do I need to install the actual game itself after that? I don't have the GOG version installed anymore.  If it doesn't really need to be installed and pointing to the GOG installer EXE is enough then should the HOME screen have the Retail FS2 button listed?

Downloaded the Media files and FSO and FSPort and they all downloaded 100%.  On the HOME screen there are no images for either MediaVP icons.

It seems that the TrackIR file is not installed (scptrackir64.dll). I copied the file to the FS2 folder and it now works.

Where are custom MOD's added and is there any chance we can get a new cockpit mod made that works with Knossos?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 06:28:36 am by OverDhill »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
@chief: I'll replace the Nebula login screen once the Nebula's website is done. The login/register/password reset UI will be part of the Nebula website and Knossos will probably just display it as an iframe or something like that. That'll allow me to change the login process later on without having to update Knossos.

@OverDhill: Did Knossos display any errors? You don't need to have FS2 installed, just pointing Knossos to the GOG installer is enough, although it can detect GOG and Steam installations if you have them.
Do you see anything listed on the Home tab? If the retail install worked, both FSO and Retail FS2 should be listed.

I just looked through the error reports I got. I assume you selected "K:\Games\Freespace 2" as your data directory.
In that case, the retail installation failed because another program (most likely your AV) interfered and deleted a required exe file (innoextract.exe). The FSPort Mission Upgrade Pack installation failed because Knossos got a permission denied error (it wasn't allowed to write to the target directory). If that's true, it should've displayed an error message...

The cockpit mod isn't currently supported although I do plan adding support for mods which extend other mods later on. The idea is that you can select any mod you have installed and tell Knossos that you want to run an extension (like the Cockpit Mod) with that other mod. It's fairly low on my todo list since AFAICT demand for other things like tags or private mods is much higher.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 10:37:23 am by ngld »

Here is the Home screen and you can see that the images for the MediaVP's are missing (I did a file verify on each also).

The next question:

Should the FSO Settings have any default settings after the install? I just installed Destiny of Peace and like all the other installs I did they are all blank as shown below.

[attachment stolen by Russian hackers]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The FSO Settings problem is a UI bug which I discovered yesterday. That'll be fixed in the next version.
The missing images are related to the fact that the mod installation failed. Since verifying the files didn't throw an error I'll have to make sure that isn't broken either. Can you go to the explore tab, click on modify for the MVPS and screenshot the window?

Here they are

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
Do the mods work properly? If they do then Knossos only failed to save the tile image. I'll make the download logic for that more reliable and have Knossos retry the download if it fails. Hopefully that'll resolve the issue.
All the packages are marked as installed and if verifying the files didn't complain, then the actual mod files should be fine.

Fs2 seems to be working fine. The image files have zero bytes. It seems that the verify files do not include those files.

I told it to download Cardinal Spear then walked away. I checked this morning and got an error message. It would not even try to verify the files. So I told it to uninstall and then will try to re-install it.

Update: Second attempt was successful.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 10:02:21 am by OverDhill »

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
If you go to the Explore tab and click Modify > OK for each mod with broken tile images, does that fix them?

The last screenshot shows that it did verify the files and found that some were either missing or corrupted which is why it told you to reinstall them.
That installation problem might've been the result of me changing the download links. Downloads should now go through CloudFlare which seems to increase the download speed for some people.

I have tried the Modify with no luck. The weird part is that the tiles show up in the Development screen but not on the Home screen.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Mhh.. well, i think that i am doing something wrong with this program...  :sigh:

First, i was not able to use the full install of my FSPort translation modification, because one of the included VP was write-protected by accident (no idea why this one was write-protected in the first place...). Got an error message about an incomplete installation.

So i tried to fix this with a new version... and now i am not able to test this, because i get once again the "FSO is missing" error, i mentioned previously. Because it tries to use a version that is impossible to exist.

knossos.repo.PackageNotFound: No version of mod "FSO" found for these constraints: >=3.8.1-20171221 (FSO),==3.8.0-2 (FSO),>=3.8.0-2 (FSO)

I do not know why this happened again...
And yes, i have selected the 20171221 nightly build in the mod settings in the development tab if this one matters.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 08:51:56 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

So I didn't really know a lot about Knossos, aside from that it's a combined launcher and installer. So allow me to walk you through my thought process as a completely new user.

When I started to install it and it asked me where to put it I did the intuitive thing I've done with literally every other mod or freespace-related tool I've ever gotten and tried to put it in my Freespace folder, but of course it said don't do that! ...Ook? Well, I guess I'll just put it in Program Files, but that's kind of confusing, why won't it let me keep all my Freespace stuff together? Whatever. So it otherwise installed nicely, but when it finished it said I had no mods! What? I have dozens of them! It know where my Freespace directory is, why isn't it detecting them? So as a test I downloaded BP. Which worked and played fine, but I saw that it had installed it to the Knossos folder. OK, so it keeps mods in Knossos, and retail FS2 in Freespace? Wait, no FS2 is in here too, along with copies of the builds I have. Does it just copy everything? Mods take up a lot of space, can I just move all my old mods into the Knossos folder?

And that's about where I am, now. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there's great reasons to have all this stuff this way, technically I'm sure it's more rigorous and bug-free or whatever. But, I think some more should be done to explain the structure of how Knossos works, especially if you have a big existing install with a bunch of mods 'the old way' and you want to transition. The old way is comforting and I understand it well, but Knossos has done a bunch of weird things I didn't expect and it didn't explain well, so I get turned off of it.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Knossos was built with new non-legacy FS players in mind. Turns out it confuses the hell out of people who've been playing/modding freespace for years.

There are reasons it does what it does and I'll leave that to ngld to explain. Basically, the short version is that Knossos is a fresh start. I can work with your previous mods, but it's not meant to.. and there's some work involved in getting that done. I would encourage people to not copy mods that exist in Knossos and just have Knossos reinstall them. Other mods that don't exist in Knossos? Get them uploaded into it!

Knossos is designed to manage all your FSO things, including TCs, without you having to mess with the files ever. (Unless you're modding, of course.) Want to play Wings of Dawn? We got you covered. One sec, while we install. Then just press play. Want to play ST:R with it's web of dependencies? We can do that, too. Just press Play when we're done getting it ready.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

That was definitely the impression I got, and again I'm glad you guys are doing it. The only question I have left, is that I am modding, creating a new mod, that is. I've already noticed some differences with the way mods are handled, most notably with mod.json, and at least based on a cursory look through BP's mod.json, its quite a bit more complicated than mod.ini. Is there a particular spot where I can see what Knossos expects to find/needs in mod.json?

Offline chief1983

• ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I'm glad you were willing to give it a stab, and hopefully from the early version number you understood that it wasn't expected to be completely polished yet.  I think by 1.0 a lot of what you're talking about will be ironed out, but feedback from early adopters such as yourself will be helpful in figuring out how to help other newcomers make the transition, those who waited until an official stable release, etc.  There may be need to have some included help system for those with large existing installations desiring to migrate to the Knossos platform, but right now it is backseat to focusing on the new paradigm of a pure ecosystem management platform catered toward newcomers.  Someone else should be able to help with your mod.json question, I can't recall if it is designed to be manually edited or if Knossos is supposed to already manage it for you.

Offline m!m

I'm pretty sure that the mod.json system is not meant to be edited manually. If you switch to the Development tab on Knossos you can create your own mod and develop it with full Knossos support without having to edit your mod.json manually. I think there is a tutorial on how to use that interface somewhere but I'm not sure if that is finished yet.