Author Topic: *Boot* Oy! Wake up!  (Read 30262 times)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Nice screens :)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by TopAce
That's no Claymore, that's the Vesuvius.

Oh... err... that's right. Silly me. That's what I get for not playing any fan made campaigns... i have to rely on my shoddy memory. :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by Goober5000
:pReally? :lol:

Yeah sure! :nervous:
Try Babelfish, it will give you "Butt Kicked", if not it's not working right.... errrm. ;7
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
It's not as grave mistake as this one:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
That's what happens when you run win98 at an airport... :rolleyes:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yeah, Windows can really make you have a bad day ;)

(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Is the Aten Mk. 2 any good? Have the Vasudans finally figured out how to make great cruisers?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
It is more dangerous than the MKI, but won't tell you why :p
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
a) Why are you still using the Valkyrie Mk2 & Vesuvius?  Use the aurora & Donar instead or something]

b) anyone who wants the Claymore only has to ask (and,er, add the docking paths - PCS doesn't work - and make the interface art).

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
We quite like the Valkyrie Mk II & Vesuvius. :D

That and the fact we've used them in the cutscenes and interface art etc makes it harder to change fighters now.

Of course we could include some newer fighters in addition to them and simply make them an older class of fighters.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
We quite like the Valkyrie Mk II & Vesuvius. :D

But they're an embarrasment!

(sorry, but i really hate it when these old fugly ships are used & I've made much better stuff)

Bah.

:p

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I know what you mean Aldo but they aren't actually that bad. Sure you've done much better stuff since then but that doesn't make the old stuff useless.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, they are that bad, really.

Your choice tho. :)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
We don't have to remodel them, so we save time. We don't have to splurge unneccesary time to remodel our mods. The Project Leading Department has this decision, either accept or refuse it. To be honestly, this step certainly increases our chances of ever finishing. Star Wars Conversion is not this logical, one day, our 'Let's increase the polycount here and there' politics will lead to our death. Unfortunatly, I have almost no modelling skills, so I cannot contribute anything to modelling and thereby I have no word in making decisions like these. Trust MindGames, you don't count polies if you are in the middle of an intense fight.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
We don't have to remodel them, so we save time. We don't have to splurge unneccesary time to remodel our mods. The Project Leading Department has this decision, either accept or refuse it. To be honestly, this step certainly increases our chances of ever finishing. Star Wars Conversion is not this logical, one day, our 'Let's increase the polycount here and there' politics will lead to our death. Unfortunatly, I have almost no modelling skills, so I cannot contribute anything to modelling and thereby I have no word in making decisions like these. Trust MindGames, you don't count polies if you are in the middle of an intense fight.

FFS, you don't get it do you?  I was not suggesting a remodel or any extra work, I was suggesting a replacement that would look better.  Simply because I tend to see my old stuff be used more than the new stuff, and I feel that's a wee bit of a shame. (and, technically, the newer stuff is more efficient in terms of LODing and map size vs detail).

Kara explained that they couldn;t because of the hud / ani, etc artwork work that has been done, which I was not aware of, which is perfectly fair and I have no problems whatsoever with.  I was simply stating my reasons.

Ok?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Why did you quote the post which was RIGHT above your post? It is obvious which one you are answering for, right?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Why did you quote the post which was RIGHT above your post? It is obvious which one you are answering for, right?

There's a good chance someone could post between you clicking on reply and clicking on submit after typing a responce. Especially when you're typing a long response.

Let's not have an arguement about posting ethics here cause I use the same style as Aldo does :D

Aldo : Is your main objection to the old mods the ship itself or the textures?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 08:39:37 am by 340 »

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Urrr...Karajoma, i did forget to point out the rather obvious text for a certain FS2 faction on one of the Vesusivius' textures that might ruin the entire gameplay :/
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

There's a good chance someone could post between you clicking on reply and clicking on submit after typing a responce. Especially when you're typing a long response.

Let's not have an arguement about posting ethics here cause I use the same style as Aldo does :D

Aldo : Is your main objection to the old mods the ship itself or the textures?

both.  Just, y'know, the general modelling, UV-ing, texturing, etc.  I'm a bit of a revisionist/perfectionist when it comes to these things.... I just don't like having these old crappy things floating around, because i'm not happy with them as a whole.  That's why i remade the Claymore 5 times (6 if you include the mk2).

It's kind of a facetitious/selfish thing - I don't want people to thing, for example, that the old Claymore or the Gryphon, or even the Daedelus is the best I can do.  Plus i thought it'd work better for you to have the newer models :).

(Actually, at one point I was remodelling the Ves for HTL, but i never actually started the process of drawing the maps. I think it was in the last modeldump, I don't have it locally so i don't know exactly how complete it was)

But, if you're using them for cutscenes and whatnot, then obviously you've got to stick with the work you have done rather than redo it.  I was just suggesting it as a helpful alternative, had it not posed any extra work.

I'm not going to throw a hissy fit over it ;)

NB: TopAce, it's always good to quote the post you're replying to, both for disambiguation (as Kara said), and in case said post is edited later on in a way that makes the overall thread confusing.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by aldo_14
But, if you're using them for cutscenes and whatnot, then obviously you've got to stick with the work you have done rather than redo it.  I was just suggesting it as a helpful alternative, had it not posed any extra work.  

It may be possible to relagate the Vesuvius somewhat so it doesn't appear as often in the game and use another model in its place.  CannonFodder is as much of a perfectionist as you are so the interface art and cutscenes may also not pose a problem since he may decide to sit down and rework everything yet again anyway :)
 I'll look into it. Have you got any other suggestions as to what you think would be better than the ships we currently use? I can't promise anything but I don't mind getting feedback.

We're actually using a lot of your mods :D We're using the Piranha, Njord, Gagana, Peregrine, Reshev, Firehawk, Valkyrie, Stentor and Vela in MG so as you can see you're basically an unoffical team member :D

We also supposedly are using the Claymore Mk 1 but it got missed off the tables and no one ever remembered to add it :D

Originally posted by Singh
Urrr...Karajoma, i did forget to point out the rather obvious text for a certain FS2 faction on one of the Vesusivius' textures that might ruin the entire gameplay :/

We have noticed that before. Sooner or later one of us is going to have to remove that big sign off the side of the Vesuvius :D