Author Topic: Campaign Idea (100 years after the T-V War)  (Read 4494 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Campaign Idea (100 years after the T-V War)
Scenario description, like the one in the demo for FS2:

"Almost a century has passed since the Terran-Vasudan war. The Shivans' destruction of the Capella star decimated most of the nearby star systems, but we were prepared. We evacuated these systems with time to spare. The GTVA formed between the wars still remains, but its power is dwindling. Rising alongside, a new power, the Capellan Consulate, formed from refugees of the Capella disaster, has been building its strength for five decades, and threatens to destroy the GTVA. GTVA/CC space has now been reunited with Sol by the construction of an artificial jump node to replace the one collapsed by the destruction of the Lucifer in Delta Serpentis. Both sides had begun to vie for control of the portal to Earth, and fighting for the right to help the former Terran homeworld recover from the conditions of poverty and destitution it has endured since the end of the Great War."

Time of Entry into the Campaign: IDUNNO
Player Faction: IDUNNO
Shivans: YES (Probably with a peacekeeper philosophy like the one proposed by the narrator in the FS1 End cutscene)
Some GTI Equivalent? MAYBE
Fighting Between Terrans and Vasudans: MINIMAL (Would be near the end if at all)

Some of this is based on this trend in the existing FS series:
FS1: UNITY OUT OF LOSS, VICTORY OUT OF DEFEAT
FS1:ST: uh...
FS2: MYSTERY
THIS: SOLVE THE MYSTERY, REPAIR THE LOSS, RESOLVE THE CONFLICT

Great, now somebody do it for me.

Re: Campaign Idea (100 years after the T-V War)
this isn't an idea. it's a work order.
*ducks to avoide inevitable flaming*

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Have you no sense of humor?

humor has no place in forums, since it's often mistaked for sarcasm

Offline Nuclear1

Great, now somebody do it for me.

:lol: Well, honesty, for once... :lol: :D
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

while I have yet to finish FS2, and will likely one day play the port of fs1... in the meantime my physics background compels me to make a rather nerdly statement about the nature of the cosmos.

<tongue-in-cheek humor>The supernova of the star capella would have zero effect on the "nearby" star systems.  This is because change propagates at the speed of light.  ie: the huge massive and deadly shockwave from the supernova, the burning gas, particles, etc... etc... will only have moved ~70 light years (~100 - ~30) from the point of detonation.  Presumably the engery *may* have traveled along the jump nodes, but then the time frame for the damage to the nearby systems would be measured in minutes to hours at the most.</tongue-in-cheek humor>

<self-sarcasm>I'll prevent the actual explaining of this phenomenon any further lest my image further descent into dorkdom ;)</self-sarcasm>

and, for the record : I've inlcuded tags for people to tell the difference between humor and sarcasm... which I suppose is actually an excercise in both, but whatever.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Most people here are dorks/nerds.

Offline Kie99

while I have yet to finish FS2, and will likely one day play the port of fs1... in the meantime my physics background compels me to make a rather nerdly statement about the nature of the cosmos.

<tongue-in-cheek humor>The supernova of the star capella would have zero effect on the "nearby" star systems.  This is because change propagates at the speed of light.  ie: the huge massive and deadly shockwave from the supernova, the burning gas, particles, etc... etc... will only have moved ~70 light years (~100 - ~30) from the point of detonation.  Presumably the engery *may* have traveled along the jump nodes, but then the time frame for the damage to the nearby systems would be measured in minutes to hours at the most.</tongue-in-cheek humor>

<self-sarcasm>I'll prevent the actual explaining of this phenomenon any further lest my image further descent into dorkdom ;)</self-sarcasm>

and, for the record : I've inlcuded tags for people to tell the difference between humor and sarcasm... which I suppose is actually an excercise in both, but whatever.

The Shockwave appeared to move a lot faster than the speed of light, considering the time it took from actual detonation to the planets and ships being roasted.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Lol...Anyone ever thought about that Freespace and Space Travel at all is Fictional ???

Maybe I should insult Star Wars cause they made 600 Lightyears in 5 Minutes with only 1xLightspeed...yeah I really should be as nerdy as that... ;)

Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Anyway, it's not the shockwave that does the damage in a supernova. It's the huge amounts of EM radiation emitted, and that does travel at the speed of light. By nearby star systems, I meant "star systems that are in physical proximity to Capella," not "star systems that have jump nodes connecting them to Capella." Anyway, all of those jump nodes were severed, right?

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
It is never quite revealed; even if they were not severed, the Capellan Supernova would be much too volatile to send anything into.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Lol...Anyone ever thought about that Freespace and Space Travel at all is Fictional ???

Maybe I should insult Star Wars cause they made 600 Lightyears in 5 Minutes with only 1xLightspeed...yeah I really should be as nerdy as that... ;)

I thought the Falcon could do mach 5 past lightspeed?

(even so it wouldn't be that fast)

how did we get from fs to sw?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
From Kelson's post about 600 Lightyears in 5 minutes.

Space travel isn't fictional...

1. Buy good set of binoculars
2. Find the coords of the next fly by of the ISS, watch it.
3. ?????
4. Profit

As for the "Damage".  The massive EM shockwave ie: wavefront. is worth trillions+ joules of energy, but also the physical ejecta of the star will be traveling at close to c and this will be doing some hefty damage as well.  (though it certainly disperses very quickly, at least compared to the distance between nearby stars.

The shockwave in game traveling faster than light?  In the game: sure, it's a game,  From a realistic point of view: Hell no, and I won't explain why, but remember a nice old guy with crazy hair for a hint.

I was just pointing out the whole supernova thing for a laugh, which I've had.  It just occured to me that if I was going to develop a campaign or play one for that matter, then the suspension of disbelief has to be there at least a little bit.  This means that the abstract should at least make attempts to follow established scientific doctrine a little.

- Ryan

Offline Art Kelson

• Ontop a Mountain
Yeah I do know...but 1.ISS isnt traveling...2.its interstellar Travel...Im talking about flying to the Next Star System or something similar...and to be honest,I think there is a big Difference between what NASA can do and that what Fictional Space Stories do...

What I wanted to tell was...as long as no Ship in Reallity is able to fly Lightspeed+...this all will stay Fictional...

Even if there is once a Day we building that kind of Spaceship we need...we wouldnt get the Energy together to do this...and that is something booth have declared Einstein AND Hawkings...

The whole Energy of the whole Universe wouldnt be enough to give Mass the Speed of Light...and so for there will never be Ships that are traveling between the Stars in Reallity...

That says...in my Opinion...I could set up a Universe like ever I want it too...
Bosch does Drugs...

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Going faster than the speed of light through normal thrust is impossible, as you (and nearly all scientists worth listening to) say. But who knows? Our descendants might come up with a feasible way of getting around that rule.

Even without any new breakthroughs in physics, fusion rockets could probably get a ship up to 1/8 C or so. At that speed, interstellar colonization would become possible (just damned difficult).

Not something we'll have to worry about, though. We've still got to concentrate on taking the first few steps. Luna, Mars, etc. And not just flags and footprints, either, or some base with half a dozen scientists; I'm talking about cities.

Bleh. I don't feel like continuing my expansion rant today. You get the idea. :p
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Any comments on the rest of the campaign idea/background?

I liked the idea, the part about the earth descending into chaos seems appropriete.

One last word on my previous post as my point wasn't understood.

By getting the coords of the next ISS pass, I refer to the International space station.  You can watch it fly overhead.

As for the energy required to get close to the speed of light, it's not really that insane until the reletivistic effects come into play, it would be very feasible to get going .5 or .6 or c.  This makes interstellar travel plausible, if somewhat of a long time investment.  As for 'other' means.  The theory of a local spacial 'wormhole' is allowed under the current string theory (I attended the seminar of a gentleman who explained it for us, minus the actual tensor equations, thank god.) however the issue with construction of said anomaly is twofold.  ie: you would need a scaffold of somekind that could not withstand the stresses involved and the energy required to open to hole tends to infinity.  The professor above mentioned that one way to alleviate this problem would be to build the scaffold of negative energy matter... but when was the last time walmart stocked that?

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Last time I checked, it was in aisle 5, next to the toilet paper and across from the radioactive waste.