Author Topic: important wiki matter: please post thoughts  (Read 6513 times)

important wiki matter: please post thoughts
Per clear consensus at the time, overruled by admin malpractice, I move that https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/GTC_Aeolus be unprotected effective immediately, so that the ancient wiki Dance-a-Lot may continue.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Re: important wiki matter: please post thoughts
Seconded.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Per clear consensus at the time, overruled by admin malpractice, I move that https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/GTC_Aeolus be unprotected effective immediately, so that the ancient wiki Dance-a-Lot may continue.

Could you stop bringing up even more drama, like, seriously?

Where's the drama in this?

My drama warning is active.

Is anyone actually willing to edit that Wiki article? Any proposed changes?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I think the proposed changes are related to flak, and flakking thereof.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
May the Aeolus page please be unprotected so I can add the veteran comment 'little in the middle but she got much flak,' a harmless joke which has become a perfect synecdoche for HLP nerds' willingness to blow things wholly out of proportion.

I am awestruck by how seriously people have taken this Sir Mixalot quite. Just flabbergasted

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
May the Aeolus page please be unprotected so I can add the veteran comment 'little in the middle but she got much flak,' a harmless joke which has become a perfect synecdoche for HLP nerds' willingness to blow things wholly out of proportion.

The last time I checked, more or less explicit vulgarities were not allowed as per the Veteran Comments Policy. There are many ways to rephrase that and make it look professional.

Also, is that quote based on this song:wtf:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Aesaar

The last time I checked, more or less explicit vulgarities were not allowed as per the Veteran Comments Policy. There are many ways to rephrase that in and make it look professional.

There is absolutely nothing explicit or vulgar about the phrase "little in the middle but she got much flak."

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Just lock this dump thread already

This thread may still have a purpose should someone come by and propose tangible changes to that Wiki article. Tangible and relevant. Judging from the replies however, it seems it's going the opposite direction.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 02:35:47 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I just want to post my VC jokes :(

I'm all for VC jokes.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
**** Battuta, I think he's on to you. You're trying to demean women by pointing out the Aeolus' flak features, aren't you? That's been your goal for the past 5 years. Bad Battuta. Bad.
sir mix a lot promotes a healthy body image and so should the HLP wiki.
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Okay, so after a little consultation and break from yesterday's nonsense, here's the verdict.  Discussing the wiki policy and specifically how and what jokes are acceptable is fair game.  Go for it.  I've attempted a sort-of-clearish split along those lines, but I probably ended up punting a few comments to the locked side.  Rather than screwing around with more post splitting, people can re-post their thoughtful comments in this one.

To be absolutely clear:  this discussion needs to be forward looking and about wiki content.  Absolutely no slagging of past decisions, rubbing salt in current open wounds, or criticizing individuals, period.  Any of that and the post gets punted to the locked thread and the offender gets a formal warning.

For what it's worth, my feelings are that a few harmless minor jokes in the wiki are a net positive, but we certainly don't want every wiki article to suddenly become littered with them.  The rest of you who actually routinely contribute to the wiki can sort this out, however.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline EatThePath

• Laser Lich
    • Twitter
For what it's worth, my feelings are that a few harmless minor jokes in the wiki are a net positive, but we certainly don't want every wiki article to suddenly become littered with them.  The rest of you who actually routinely contribute to the wiki can sort this out, however.

This is pretty close to my own thoughts on the matter. It might be worth a general rule that if a comment is more entertaining than informative on uses of the ship, it should be shuffled to the bottom of the veteran comments to reduce any possible negative impact to the utility of that section, and it shouldn't be mislead either.
Name your damn turrets and sounds! Numbers alone aren't helpful!
"if disco is dead then I am the laser lich"
"...[Warmachine] keeps changing as fast as EatThePath can force the engine to do his dark bidding..."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
IT IS DONE

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Hey, it's a singular pun in a not too consistent section that suggests not full accuracy by its own title. Surely it won't hurt to have some sideline humor in a community run Wiki.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
I think that "The Aeolus has a narrow structural spar for a midsection, and a large number of flak guns." is appropriate, but not "Little in the middle, but she got much flak"
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
You should edit out then ;7

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
My main beef is that it doesn't seem to be covered by the Veteran Comments policy. However, that policy might be dated considering it was put into place 12 years ago under an administration that got nuked a few days ago. Does that require an update, and if so, what should be added to/removed from it? There's also the option of deleting the policy altogether, but that would run the risk of the VC sections (slowly) going back to what they used to be before the policy was implemented.

Is there a "better" way to place the mixalot, like a random quote at the top of the page, or is it intentional to hide it within the other VCs? Would it be even better if it was placed as an image tooltip, like what I've done to the banner on this article, or would that be missing the joke entirely (not to mention that virtually no one using a touchscreen will ever see it)?
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:48:57 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline JSRNerdo

• [`_`]/
  • Gone!
Former Inferno lead, BTA fredder-ish and DE fredder. Driven out by ordinary fascists the_e, aesaar and general battuta. Will return if they're ever removed.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
IT IS HAPPENING AGAIN

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Maybe we should just make this a feature of the page.

Forever oscillating between silly and serious. Never knowing what you'll find when you navigate to it.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”