Author Topic: Traffic downturn.  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
It seems a bit slow in here the last few weeks.

That makes me sad,  I may not contribute as much as I'd planned to before my illustrious EOD career but I'm really happy I still get to check in and see the same website I've been frequenting for nearly 20 years.

Are there any other fs2 boards people use?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Most of the daily activity happens on Discord now.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I think HLP is still the most active Freespace Board, by far.

As far as i can tell, nearly all Forums in the web are dying. Forum boards are so 2000...
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Yup, lots of stuff happing on Discord now. New platform, but the same old faces :-)
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Gonna call myself out:

My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I even was on HLP's discord for a while... until it suddenly vanished from my serverlist.
Maybe i got kicked or even banned. No idea. Was not surprised actually after i found out, that people started to talk about me behind my back. :rolleyes:

But well, so i am sticking more to the Forums again. Even it got much more difficult to get in touch with some people now. But well, i have to live with it and at least i am still allowed to be here.
So, i think every one is also using IRC in 2051 who was kicked from Skype, Slack and the Galactic Singularity   :lol:
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Strygon

• So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    • Steam
I plead guilty, your honor. (cuz I haven't been posting much here recently cause I don't have much work to show off)

In all seriousness, personally I see the forum as a site for more formal and permanent messages, with the Discord acting as the more informal and rapid fire real time communications place. Of course, others may differ from that.
Makes missions sometimes.
Finished Projects: Operation: Cloak and Dagger

Current Projects: Scrolls Part 2 (FREDding), Dimensional Eclipse (Art),
The First Contact War, GTDr Amazon HTL

[23:22] strypolygon: andrew
[23:22] strypolygon: i have one favor to ask of you
[23:22] strypolygon: never try speaking german again
[23:23] Andrewofdoom: No.

[18:50] 島風改八百三: the duck has multipli
[18:50] 島風改八百三: many duck
[18:50] 島風改八百三: left side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: even side
[18:50] 島風改八百三: handle it

[21:34] MP-Ryan: Why on earth would you Google this
[21:34] The_E: why would you not

[06:46] Strigon: how big is a mini-campaign again?
[06:46] Asteroth: smaller than a campaign
[06:47 ]Strigon: thanks

[05:56] Strigon: If I had to take a shot for each time I randomly decided to change the UI sounds, I'd have died of alcohol poisoning by now

[17:36] qazwsxal: time to have some fun
[17:41] z64555: VC++5 is not my idea of fun

[EatThePath] do your missiles do anything absurd?
[Strigon] describe absurd
[Strigon] the entire mod is absurd

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yeah I feel that 100%. The vibe has changed a lot since I was a regular but the Discord has just as many (if not more!) discussions than the boards used to have back in the day.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Discord is not a replacement to the forums.

It's a way to get in touch with community members in mere instants and get immediate feedback on a number of quick queries, but it doesn't in any way replace a public release thread, an eyecandy thread, a project board, and so on. Discord content is also at best quite volatile, relegated to the people who were paying attention to it during a given time span. I dare anyone to fall 150-200 messages behind any non critical Discord conversation, and read all of the messages he/she missed. And on a regular basis, I may add.

The forums are open to the rest of the world and are easily accessible to those who don't have an account. It's the best tool to get FreeSpace modding promoted and viewable to anyone willing to take a look. This can be determined by the number of views and guests HLP gets on a daily basis, and the fact that - at least in my country - there's an interesting number of players who lurk and play the mods without creating forum or Discord accounts. The forums are also the community's "healthometer" as perceived from such guests, who judge the degrees of activity of HLP based on public content, not volatile chat between a small and selected number of members.

As I clearly stated elsewhere, it's ok to have both supports because each one of them has its uses, but dropping either because "no one reads it" is a bad move, IMO.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
I check into the forums every time I open my browser (Recent Unread Topics it is a homepage tab).  Discord is too ADHD for this old man - I cannot keep up with stuff and rarely go there, for this or any other games.  I do like it for resolving support issues, where there may be a lot of back and forth discussion in a short time.
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Discord is not a replacement to the forums.

It's a way to get in touch with community members in mere instants and get immediate feedback on a number of quick queries, but it doesn't in any way replace a public release thread, an eyecandy thread, a project board, and so on. Discord content is also at best quite volatile, relegated to the people who were paying attention to it during a given time span. I dare anyone to fall 150-200 messages behind any non critical Discord conversation, and read all of the messages he/she missed. And on a regular basis, I may add.

The forums are open to the rest of the world and are easily accessible to those who don't have an account. It's the best tool to get FreeSpace modding promoted and viewable to anyone willing to take a look. This can be determined by the number of views and guests HLP gets on a daily basis, and the fact that - at least in my country - there's an interesting number of players who lurk and play the mods without creating forum or Discord accounts. The forums are also the community's "healthometer" as perceived from such guests, who judge the degrees of activity of HLP based on public content, not volatile chat between a small and selected number of members.

As I clearly stated elsewhere, it's ok to have both supports because each one of them has its uses, but dropping either because "no one reads it" is a bad move, IMO.

Where did anyone ever suggest dropping either one? WTF are you on about?

Additionally, this is a very *ahem* old way of looking at things. Younger generations abhor forums and thrive in mediums like Discord. Look at Spart_N. We had to basically beg him to create a forum account after he played nearly half of HLP's content. Forums are for dinosaurs (of which many of us are...) and if we want to be relevant to younger gamers, we need need to change with the times.

I even was on HLP's discord for a while... until it suddenly vanished from my serverlist.
Maybe i got kicked or even banned. No idea. Was not surprised actually after i found out, that people started to talk about me behind my back. :rolleyes:

doubt.gif
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Now, while most was said here, I'd also like to just mention that the forum is still my preferred way for more stable and... permament messages. That is, for announcements, effortposting and bringing constructive feedback to modders. Sifting through hundreds of messages or dozens of mentions on the discord would get extremely annoying in such uses.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

I like it here, and like others have mentioned, Discord servers move too fast for what I'm here for. Even if what I'm here for is just gendisc and saying hey to you guys.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
No one's getting rid of anything.  The forums and Discord each serve their own purpose: the former for announcements, release posts, and longer-term discussions where it's important to be able to reference the entire conversation; and the latter for quick chats and real-time feedback/troubleshooting.  Each one complements the other well.  One of the goals going forward is to try and get Discord more prominently integrated into the site, so that there's more synergy between both forms of community interaction.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

You are not now and, to the best of my knowledge, have never been banned or, for that matter, kicked from the HLP Discord.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm not sure the Discord has outright banned anyone outside of an odd bot or two.  Some temporary kicks, but those go away after a bit.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
We currently have 9 people on our permaban list, one of which has since deleted their account. All the others were either spambots or people who were so disruptive that they needed to go; it should be noted that it's been some time since someone was disruptive enough to warrant a blanket ban like that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns