Author Topic: TWENTY years?!  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I mean, seriously, I could never have imagined that this community would still be standing two whole decades after we came up with this crazy idea. To be fair, I was only 15 years old at the time, so 20 years was an unimaginable time period for me... :D

Thanks to the hundreds and thousands of people who've made this such an amazing place for so very long - I am still astonished and impressed by the quality of code, mods, art and campaigns that this community creates! But especially thanks to the admins who have carried the torch and put in the hard yards (or, hard light yards) to keep this place floating even with all the challenges of servers, money and all the other nuts and bolts that go into making it work. Even a global pandemic can't keep you down!!

P.S. This is not really the point of this post, and hopefully this thread doesn't get overtaken, but I can't help but acknowledge everything that's happening in the US right now and, whatever happens, hope you're all staying safe.
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Hey Steak! Good to see you man.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey Steak! Good to see you man.

Likewise!! Glad to see a familiar face. Also love that after twenty years we are still using the same logo and most of the graphics from the beginning ;)

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
I'm super surprised this site is still up and running. I kinda want to get FS up and running again.
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Yo Steak! Thanks for getting me through my undergrad maths units man! Appreciate your videos!  :D

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Welcome back, Setekh.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
* Colonol Dekker is pleased to see the founder gracing us with his presence

Yo yo yoooo.  #fistbump
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
Good to see you, Steak. Yeah, as one of the old timers who got here in 2003, was absent for 17 years and returned just last year, I’m amazed that this place is still standing too.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Steak of Steaks! Great to see you here, bro. Yeah, we're still around!
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Welcome back Steak. Hope you're still doing all right. :D
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm super surprised this site is still up and running. I kinda want to get FS up and running again.

Same. Kinda funny, a few years back I was packing up an old PC that still had FS installed. I loaded up a mission but found I'd completely lost my muscle memory for all the controls...

Yo Steak! Thanks for getting me through my undergrad maths units man! Appreciate your videos!  :D

Hey Dilmah, nice to meet you. And yes, I'm that Eddie Woo... started up this community a long while before any of those videos were things I would even consider making!!

Welcome back, Setekh.  :)

Cheers Mobius - thanks for keeping the place warm!

* Colonol Dekker is pleased to see the founder gracing us with his presence

Yo yo yoooo.  #fistbump

Hardly "gracing" - I'm just grateful my account still works :D

Steak of Steaks! Great to see you here, bro. Yeah, we're still around!

Heya Galemp, awesome you're still here too! Is it true that most of the action is on Discord these days? I created an account but I don't understand how that platform works yet. ;)

Good to see you, Steak. Yeah, as one of the old timers who got here in 2003, was absent for 17 years and returned just last year, I’m amazed that this place is still standing too.

Yo ST, it's been a while! What brought you back?

Welcome back Steak. Hope you're still doing all right. :D

Thanks Androgeos. Can't complain - especially compared to how a lot of other people (and countries!) have been coping with COVID-19, here in Australia we are pretty thankful for how well it's been managed!

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Congratulations, pilot. You have passed training simulator module TSM-2021: Spelling Setekh's Name

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Is it true that most of the action is on Discord these days? I created an account but I don't understand how that platform works yet. ;)

There's quite a bit of action on it, yeah. :D

Think of Discord as user-friendly IRC on steroids and you wouldn't be too far off. There are a handful of active members there who actually created forum accounts after they joined the Discord server.

Shameless plug goooo~
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Yo Steak!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill