Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589182 times)

Re: Derek Smart might be taking legal action over Star Citizen
Best quotes (word-for-word):

"[...] for more than 3 years I have done the work of at least 6 people and I am a shrewd businesswoman with a lot of experience in business.  This project would not be here without me."

"I am one of the best saleswomen in the world beyond a shadow of a doubt and always have been since I was a very small girl."

"You want a **** game or do you want to wait?"

As one of the best saleswomen in the world, Sandi is no doubt aware of the first rule of corporate communication: Treat everything you communicate to anyone as though it is being or will be scrutinized by the public.

Oh, wait.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:46:51 pm by That Man »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
CIG / Sandi really should have avoided talking about everything outside the refund & support issues. I suppose offering a full refund is OK too, but asking "why not?"and then engaging with the response was a waste of time.

Real dick move to post the conversation without explicit permission though.

Yeah, almost as much of a dick move as threatening corporate espionage charges.

Oh, wait.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
CIG / Sandi really should have avoided talking about everything outside the refund & support issues. I suppose offering a full refund is OK too, but asking "why not?"and then engaging with the response was a waste of time.

Yeah, almost as much of a dick move as threatening corporate espionage charges.

Oh, wait.
Or banning someone for off-forum activity as well as them having criticisms.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

How far are you meant to stay silent about how bat**** insane these people are when they wrung out $105 million by promising a game they haven't and almost certainly can't deliver and are now refusing to refund backers who have noticed that?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Why would the guy need permission? Unless there's some clause in the EULA prohibiting releasing these sorts of correspondence.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
*star trek iv whale probe screeches at the surface of planet Earth*

MR SPOCK: Captain, I believe the probe is in search of whales.

KIRK: Whales?

MR SPOCK: Star Citizen fans

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
preorder bonus. preorder now. shave flakes of ass dandruff off chris robert ass and we are crowdfunding them as a preorder bonus, new revolution in game development, unprecedented fidelity and immersion. put chris robert ass flakes on your ass

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Big miscommunication, sorry guys. We definitely meant ass flakes. Early suggestions that this would be a g-pack of pure Colombian cocaine were a misunderstanding. Alas no refunds are available. Early buyers will still get a free re-up as promised

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Drunktutta is besttutta?

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
*star trek iv whale probe screeches at the surface of planet Earth*

MR SPOCK: Captain, I believe the probe is in search of whales.

KIRK: Whales?

MR SPOCK: Star Citizen fans

Does that mean they are going to stop Aesaar with a BoP and then stick Maslo in a plexiglass tub?

Will it still be in unreleased when they bring him to the future?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
So did they really commission another studio to make an entire FPS, pay them, get a nearly finished FPS, find it was completely incompatible with their game, and throw it out?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
What I'm really interested in is how CIG managed to get this whole hype machine going in the first place. How DID they get this much enthusiasm and money behind a project that's repeatedly failed to deliver?

If responsible projects could use those methods to stir up a tiny fraction of SC's hype for themselves, it'd be a great marketing boon.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The initial enthusiasm wasn't too surprising, but the incredible momentum it's sustained has been.

Offline Lorric

What I'm really interested in is how CIG managed to get this whole hype machine going in the first place. How DID they get this much enthusiasm and money behind a project that's repeatedly failed to deliver?

If responsible projects could use those methods to stir up a tiny fraction of SC's hype for themselves, it'd be a great marketing boon.
Such as a certain someone making a certain game...  ;)

It's like Sushi says, the genre was dead and had been for many years, but the market for it most certainly wasn't. There was a burning desire for more, and Roberts had the brains to step into this gap in the market, but where the continued remarkable devotion from his backers comes from is a complete mystery to me. If he was still the only show in town I could understand it, but he isn't anymore.

My understanding is that Star Marine was only ever promised as a standalone module (for the backers), not as a game in and of itself.
Though of course it was touted to be as good or better than similar AAA games.

Now roberts said basically 'you've already got what we promised in 2.X, you can run around and shoot stuff'

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Now roberts said basically 'you've already got what we promised in 2.X, you can run around and shoot stuff'

He did not say that we already got what was promised. Here is his statement:

"So yes it is still in the pipeline. I do actually kind of like to say something because I sort of get annoyed sometimes when I see this pop up in comments like “Oh Star Marine is cancelled or Where’s Star Marine!?” Star Marine was just a game mode for people to play the FPS elements of Star Citizen until we could combine everything together: Flying, walking around, shooting, doing all the rest of the stuff, all together, that is what is in 2.0, that’s what it’s 2.1.

With SC Alpha 2.0 onwards, you have basically what we were planning to do from Star Citizen and from the very very beginning. If you could back and look at the original pitch we didn’t say “Hey we’re doing Star Marine,” We said we will have FPS and Board, well you have FPS and you have boarding right now and so what’s really happening is there will not be features that will only be for Star Marine outside a sort of competition match and scoring that isn’t going to be in the game and so we’re actually rolling out the FPS features.

So 2.2 will have some more features on the FPS side and 2.3 will have some more and so on until we sort of what we consider the basic functionality. 2.2 has cover and some other things in it and we’ll obviously have future, there’s things like vaulting and sliding and different kind of stances that we have and there’s a lot more weapons that we have and they’re all getting rolled out and honing it and you guys are going to be able to play it in 2.2 and 2.3 and 2.4

When we’ve got that basic set together we will sort of turn on the map for Star Marine because all Star Marine is, is a game mode. Basically allows you to play a game, have two teams, have some points and so you can just sort of have a Arena Commander style match, but for FPS. That’s useful for you to hone your FPS skills without sort of being in the mini PU and risking some other stuff, but you already have FPS in the game so it’s not like FPS got cancelled or anything like that.

It’s definitely in and Star Marine was originally our idea of how to get people to play the FPS before we could put everything together, but since that obviously took longer than we expected to get FPS to the level that we are comfortable with. By the time we got it to the level we said ”Okay you guys can play this.” Well we already had all the other things combined with the Large World and the 64-bit coordinates and the zone system so that was it. So there you are, we will have Gold Horizon, we will have Star Marine, but that will come online once all the basic FPS features are out in and live in the mini PU."

Star Marine as a separate module will not happen, Star Marine is now being developed as part of core game, basic FPS functionality is already playable in Alpha, other promised Star Marine features will be be parts of future Alpha 2.x updates.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
In the span of only a few minutes, Chris Roberts introduces a revisionist fiction that completely contradicts literally hundreds of public statements made by him and other members of CIG and Illfonic over the course of the last year.
The citizens eat it up.

See you in the verse!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We have never worked with Illfonic. We have always intended to throw out Star Marine. War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Preorders are wise.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Preorders are wise.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”