Author Topic: Throttle Problem (Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X)  (Read 32452 times)

Throttle Problem (Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X)
Freespace 2 fails to detect my new joystick's throttle or rudder/5th axis button. I can push and pull on it, but it doesn't pick it up. Every other button works - including ones mounted on the throttle itself.

I opened up ARMA 2 and the throttle worked well, so it doesn't seem to be faulty . . . has anyone had this problem?  The problem also happens in TIE Fighter, which leads me to believe it might be a problem with older games? But I don't see any talk of compatibility for Freespace 2 or TIE Fighter - it seems everyone gets it working easily enough.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:27:16 am by mykelsss »

Re: Throttle Problem (Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X)
Did you bind it in game under control config?
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Seems you didn't bound the axis. FS2 is one of the few games that don't do that. And TIE fighter might not even support a throttle (or you might also have to turn it on in the settings).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ive never been able to get the 6th axis of any controller to be detected by the game, and ive owned a lot, 2 saiteks, ch, countless virtual joysticks, like ch/ppjoy, and even some diy sticks. it has never concerned me because the game only has like 5 bindable axes anyway, some of which are redundant (absolute/relative throttle for example). it could be a bug, like an off by one error in a loop somewhere. but ive never been able to make heads or tails of the input code.

with some scripting hacks i was able to fake 6dof flight, by adding lateral thrusters with mouse axes (and then configuring those axes as mouse axes in whatever control profile software you use), and a partitioned throttle alowing you analog control of reverse thrusters. but yea this is stuff ive waited years and years for and im still waiting. using scripts to upgrade a fundamental system in a game engine seem hackish to me.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Did you bind it in game under control config?

Seems you didn't bound the axis. FS2 is one of the few games that don't do that. And TIE fighter might not even support a throttle (or you might also have to turn it on in the settings).

I guess I wasn't clear enough. :D It doesn't detect when I move the throttle at the keybinding screen. When I double-click on any function there, the bind button highlights and I'll push and pull on the throttle . . . nothing. Or did you guys mean something else?

I also went on the Launcher and went to "Calibrate" . . . it detects the throttle there - I can see the Z-Axis moving.

Offline Davros

My z axis is bound to absolute throttle axis no problem, if you tell me where the control settings are stored i can send you a file

My z axis is bound to absolute throttle axis no problem, if you tell me where the control settings are stored i can send you a file

Awesome! Only, I have barely any experience with Freespace 2 yet (only just installed FSO yesterday), so I don't know where this would be. Does anyone else know?

Offline Al-Rik

Hm, I'm used this Joystick before I get the Saitek X52pro and don't remember any problems.
AFIAK it's possible to change how the Joystick is mapping the axis (Isn't were a 4 and a 5 axis mode ?), take a look at the manual.

Hm, I'm used this Joystick before I get the Saitek X52pro and don't remember any problems.
AFIAK it's possible to change how the Joystick is mapping the axis (Isn't were a 4 and a 5 axis mode ?), take a look at the manual.

Yeah, the green home button, right? Doesn't seem to help.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm pretty sure that FS2 only supports 4 bindable axes as of right now, so you might be out of luck here.  There are external programs like ppjoy that can circumvent this, though.

I'm pretty sure that FS2 only supports 4 bindable axes as of right now, so you might be out of luck here.  There are external programs like ppjoy that can circumvent this, though.

I don't want the fifth, only the fourth (Throttle).  ;) They're both unresponsive, though.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

I don't want the fifth, only the fourth (Throttle).  ;) They're both unresponsive, though.

This is something I found out earlier when I tried using the MotionInJoy drivers for a PS3 SixAxis controller, FS2 retail can detect up to 6 axis, but only X, Y, and Z are mapped and work correctly. Either the "dial" axis or the "slider" axis (in the MS game controller configuration tool) is mapped to an R axis by FS2, but it will work. Sadly, the other two R axes are both mapped incorrectly by FS2 and won't work no matter what you do.

Like Mongoose said, try getting a third party program that will allow you to remap your joystick's throttle to either the Dial or the Slider axis, and go from there.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 06:41:19 pm by z64555 »
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

This is something I found out earlier when I tried using the MotionInJoy drivers for a PS3 SixAxis controller, FS2 retail can detect up to 6 axis, but only X, Y, and Z are mapped and work correctly. Either the "dial" axis or the "slider" axis (in the MS game controller configuration tool) is mapped to an R axis by FS2, but it will work. Sadly, the other two R axes are both mapped incorrectly by FS2 and won't work no matter what you do.

Like Mongoose said, try getting a third party program that will allow you to remap your joystick's throttle to either the Dial or the Slider axis, and go from there.

Hmmm . . . trying out PPJoy, and it doesn't detect anything on the joystick. It detects that it's THERE - it installs the driver for it successfully - but hitting "Scan" and moving sticks and pressing buttons does nothing. Can't bind anything in it. And if I just skip all the way through the PPJoy config and then try to configure it in Microsoft's Game Controller panel, it doesn't detect it there either. It shows up, sure, but the configuration screens don't give any response to movement/button pressing. :blah:

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
For MotionInJoy, you have to click an Enable button once your done remapping stuff, maybe PPjoy has something similar?
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Davros

Ive had a look through the freespace 2 folder and i cant figure out where the player controls are stored

these 2 files are possible candidates (make a backup)
unrar to    freespace 2\data\players\single

Edit: attatchment removed, wrong files. Use file in later post
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:57:44 pm by Davros »

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
theyre in the pilot file.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Davros

Ok that narrows it down a little, where would the pilot file be located ?

Edit:
 My pilot is called Davros and i found some Davros files in a folder (make a backup first)

unrar to freespace 2\data\players\single\inferno

[attachment deleted by a ninja]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:01:17 pm by Davros »

Just tried it out and . . . wtf?! It actually works! Awesome! Thanks a ton, Dav.

One request . . . if you have TIE Fighter installed, could I have your file for that, too? I've heard it works with this joystick, but I've got the same issue there, as well. If you don't, it's no problem - you've already helped me enough.  :D

Offline Davros

Glad it worked for you, you can now change the other controls to your liking ( for gods sake dont change absolute throttle axis :D )
No idea why you couldnt bind the throttle Ive had numerous sticks over the years including a X52 which has a crap load of axis and never had a problem.
Does you stick have any profiling software ?

As for Tie fighter sorry i dont have it. I did have xwing back when i had a 386 pc
Its a dos game isnt it ??? (or do you have tie fighter from the X-Wing Collector Series which was updated to run in windows)
http://www.mobygames.com/game/star-wars-x-wing-collector-series

your best bet would be running it through dosbox it has support for usb sticks (proper dos only supports gameport)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:58:00 am by Davros »

Offline Davros

ps: joystick update for tie fighter (looks like its for the original not the one from the collectors series)

http://www.lucasarts.com/support/update/tie.html

guide to using an usb stick under dosbox
http://www.jonathanmoeller.com/screed/?p=176