Author Topic: space sim games dead?  (Read 16279 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: space sim games dead?
Watch the trolling, Mobius.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Trolling? Those genres aren't great and they're also (somewhat) responsible for the death of space and flight sims.

Space and flight sims are my favorite game genres. I really dislike how stupid racing, FPS and horror games attract a lot of attention. The success of those genres marks the death of other genres.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Now that's a rather more fair statement.

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)
Only the few dream big beyond the stars. :)
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Ok, just put a Ulysses in mission, even on full Afterburners it does 115m/s, which is :

115 * 60 = 6900 Metres per minute = 6.9 km/minute

6.9 * 60 = 414 Km per hour or (414 * 0.61) = 252.54 Mph

In other words, very roughly 1/3 of Mach1, and that's only while AB's last, other than that it does a sedate 252 Km/h or around 157 Mph or about 1/5 of Mach 1.

bah, I can do 500,000 metres per second in I-war easy i could maybe get upto 0.8 lightspeed

You know, once upon a time I would have used a discussion like this to shamelessly promote my Velocity Mod. Good memories... :D

Spoiler:
What can I say? I couldn't resist the temptation for nostalgia's sake :D

Offline darkone

• Space Sims will NEVER DIE
    • Space Sim Central
Space games in general are not dead at all. I have found out it is the opposite that there is plenty of indie and commercial products being worked on nevermind all of the community projects and mods. I have been scouring the net and talking with developers and it is actually looking up for the space genre. I have been posting plenty of new games and mods on my site.

Like always if people know of any games/projects that I haven't got around to post something on or put into my link area please let me know and will get something documented. I know there has been a few new 4x, rts and rpg style space games being worked on.

-D1-

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Please note that most indie and mods are based on popular genres, such as FPS games. Modding is a spread phenomenon that affects most, if not all, game genres. The fact that mods and indie games keep space sims alive doesn't necessarily mean that the genre is surviving at full strength.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

But its better to be on life-support than six feet under.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
You know, on the other hand if someone did a GOOD SPACE SIM now it would be wanted... though the last good space sim was damn FS2 and let's get over with this. HAWX suck.
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Mikes

Please note that most indie and mods are based on popular genres, such as FPS games. Modding is a spread phenomenon that affects most, if not all, game genres. The fact that mods and indie games keep space sims alive doesn't necessarily mean that the genre is surviving at full strength.

Yet you will be hard pressed to find community based projects that improve a game so radically, extensively and diligently, and for over about a decade now, as Freespace SCP did.

Not saying that there aren't any,... but seeing such a strong project based in the space-sim genre actually does tell us quite a bit about its lasting appeal.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 04:18:57 pm by Mikes »

You know, on the other hand if someone did a GOOD SPACE SIM now it would be wanted... though the last good space sim was damn FS2 and let's get over with this. HAWX suck.

Oh god I know oh god. What a waste of 3.92gb bandwidth oh god. I couldn't believe it when I took on five SU-27's with an already damaged fighter and did not get hit once. I'm not even a good pilot, the AI is just beyond ****. And what's with carrying ten thousand homing rockets on the hardest mode? I had more missiles than my plan had volume. Are we to believe in 2012 that figher planes have miniature missile-building factories in them?

And the cockpit views. I grabbed myself a MiG because I wanted the feel of the enclosed cockpit, I press my upwards hatswitch and where did the support strut go?. No matter how the cockpit is built, the canopy is still perfectly open top left and right.

Ridiculous. Another blight on Tom Clancy's name - he must have signed the wrong contract that they're sticking his name on all this adstoj.

sorry  to bring an old post back but i guess this is a major event

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And here I thought that moving the unnecessary necro to the correct thread would help things a bit.

Protip: You should actually check whether the other topics in the forum cover the same thing, especially if they're at the top of the list.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=84931.0