Author Topic: Minor issues with setting up SR  (Read 3057 times)

Offline CT27

Minor issues with setting up SR
I downloaded SR 1.06 from the ModDB link and tried to set up the campaign that way (I haven't transitioned over to Knossos yet fully and still use wxlauncher for most campaigns).  However, when I started the campaign (hitting ESC to skip the FS intro movie) I got a notice at the pilot select screen that said there were 12 errors that could be a result of corrupt tables, etc. and that FSO would attempt to work in spite of it.

1:  I tried to make a mod.ini since that download didn't come with one (it came with something called a mod.json).  Perhaps I got that error notice because I had it set up wrong somehow.  Here is how I had the relevant part set up:

[multimod]
primarylist = fsport-mediavps_43x;
secondarylist = fsport,mediavps_43x;

[settings]

I presume that's the only part of the mod.ini that would cause this (the stuff above it was items like 'infotext' and 'image' which just shows how it appears in wxlauncher).  Do I at least have that set up right or should I change it?

2:  I have the new HD mainhall files downloaded and put in the proper places (I'm able to see them with FSPort campaigns) but when I got past the pilot selection screen and to the mainhall it was the 'regular' one from FS1 and not the newer HD version.  Is there a way to see the new HD version of the mainhalls with these campaigns or is that not meant to happen here?

Anyways, FYI and FWIW:  I still was able to play the SR campaigns despite that earlier error notice and when I actually got in game, I didn't notice any gamebreaking or big technical errors.  The campaigns played fine and congratulations to the team for a great work.

Re: Minor issues with setting up SR
[launcher]
modname      = SerRes;
infotext     = ;

[multimod]
secondarylist = FreeSpacePortMVP,FreeSpacePort,MediaVP;
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 06:03:49 am by Nightmare »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The direct ModDB download of our modpack serves as a last resort shoud Knossos go either crazy or temporarily down. (We jumped from 1.0.0 to 1.0.6 in about one week, and most updates are due to several errors in Knossos packaging the source of which is still unclear).

Judging from your experience, even though your gameplay was rather smooth and I'm glad it was, I see you do in fact miss some of the files: SerRes includes an "empty" intro cutscene overriding FS1's intro cinematic, so if you get to watch FS1's intro, something's wrong.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:50:23 pm by Mobius »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Just wondering after CT27s post - does the ModDB download include a mod.ini?

Offline CT27

Just wondering after CT27s post - does the ModDB download include a mod.ini?

When I tried it the other day, it did not.  It had a "mod.json", but no mod.ini.

Anyways, about the mod.ini template you gave me a couple posts ago (thank you by the way):

Is that literally the text I should put into the mod.ini file (in addition to adding an image 255X112 line with a bmp picture file I made)?

I ask because there are a couple points I'm wondering about:
-Should "secondrylist" be changed to "secondarylist"?
-Should I change the items in that line to their more specific versions?  For example, since this uses 4.3.X files should I change "FreeSpacePortMVP" to what other mods use as "fsport-mediavps_43x"?

Is that literally the text I should put into the mod.ini file (in addition to adding an image 255X112 line with a bmp picture file I made)?
Yep. However, no need to specify a custom bmp, the launcher can live without that.

-Should I change the items in that line to their more specific versions?  For example, since this uses 4.3.X files should I change "FreeSpacePortMVP" to what other mods use as "fsport-mediavps_43x"?
That's up to how you configured your folders - just make sure that they link to the correct named ones (so if your FreeSpace Port MVPs are in a folder named "fsport-mediavps_43x" you need to adjust it). For manual installation I always use the recentmost version of each, so I don't need an extension with the versionnumber. Also it helps me that I don't have to mess around with the mod.inis everytime a new version of, say, the MVPs is released.

-Should "secondrylist" be changed to "secondarylist"?
Idk about wxLauncher, it doesn't matter on 5.5g; maybe do that to be double-safe.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
The ModDB package is essentially my SerRes v.1.0.6 folder; it includes a mod.json but no mod.ini. We'll try to set up even handier ModDB backups in the future.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline CT27

I tried using the template Nightmare gave (the only changes I made were expanding the general names to their specific versions...'FreespaceportMVP' to 'fsport-mediavps_43X' for example) and I got the same issues as before.  It showed the FS1 intro and said 12 errors on the pilot select screen (though, like before, I was still able to play the game).

I'm pretty sure I did everything right.  I put the main SR folder into my Games/FS2 folder and then put the various folders in the files (models/maps/etc.) into SR/data.  That's how I've manually done mods before and they worked.  There was that small 'intro' movie file and I'm pretty sure I put it in the right place (SR/data/movies).

I forgot to change 'secondrylist' to 'secondarylist' so maybe that was an issue...I'll try it again with that change.

I forgot to change 'secondrylist' to 'secondarylist' so maybe that was an issue...I'll try it again with that change.

Probably try that. :)

Offline CT27

I tried it again using the template provided (though making modifications so my specific folders could be used):

[launcher]
modname      = SerRes;
infotext     = ;

[multimod]
secondarylist = fsport-mediavps_43X,fsport,MediaVPs_43X;

...and I still got the same problems as before (seeing the FS1 intro movie and a non-HD mainhall and a 12 error report).  I've tried using the moddb download and I tried downloading the individual files from fsknossos and manually putting them in my folder and I've got the same results.

However, like before...the game still works and I didn't encounter any gamebreaking errors when actually playing the campaign.