Author Topic: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade  (Read 63480 times)

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play... BattleTech! Rise of the Hard Light Brigade
Personnel File:

Name:              Dejere bin Hassan
Callsign:           ‘Esarai’
Training:           MechWarrior certification from Sun Zhang MechWarrior Academy, 4 months DCMS service.
Homeworld:      New Samarkand, Draconis Combine

Appearance and Personality:

bin Hassan is of mixed asiatic/arabic descent, possessing the black hair, oval face, small nose and sharp eyes of the Japanese, the heavy eyebrows and deep-set eye sockets and light-tan skin typical of Egyptian origins, though at this point this is hard to trace.  His sharp jawline and somewhat raised ears give him an air of severity that grossly misrepresents his personality.  He stands 5’ 7” tall, and is relatively thin, weighing in at only 143 lbs/64.86 kg.  While he won’t be winning a grappling brawl any time soon, he has advanced proficiency in both aikido and judo, making him an effective hand-to-hand fighter.

SZMA records cite Hassan for numerous discipline violations and 'traitorous inclinations', yet during his service with the Hard Light Brigade he has proven himself steadfast and loyal.  He can be rambunctious and flippant, but there is an inherent respect for his comrades ingrained in his behavior.  When asked about his 'traitorous inclinations,' Hassan responded that his CO at SZMA was an idiot, the HLB command staff aren't.

Biography:

As far as can be discerned from Combine records, bin Hassan comes from an inconspicuous background.  His family contains no individuals of note. All living relatives are primarily engaged in commodities trading and have amassed a significant fortune.  He was born on June 21st, 3021 and spent the majority of his life on New Samarkand.  He successfully graduated from SZMA in the 75th percentile and enlisted in the DCMS.  For reasons unknown, ISF and O5P units were ordered to apprehend him, followed by a dishonorable discharge.  He fled to Outreach, filed for employment in various companies via a freelance HR agent, and enlisted in the Hard Light Brigade.

The HR agent he filed through thought ‘Esarai’ must've been some japanese word; it is actually an acronym: ‘S.R.I.’  Despite this inaccuracy, bin Hassan has neglected to change it, preferring the faux-japanese to the original.  It stands for ‘Squirrely Raging Idiot,’ a nickname he acquired during his tenure at SZMA for repeatedly irritating his company commander and disobeying orders.  The nickname solidified during his 3rd year final combat examination, when he used a semi-truck loaded with coffee and the contents of a gardening center as improvised weapons.  Analysis of the battle showed that had he obeyed his withdrawal order, his team would have suffered a decisive defeat, but his antics delayed the enemy advance long enough for reinforcements to arrive and secure victory.  Had the operation been live-fire, his Wasp would never have functioned again.  Thankfully, it was not, but his unorthodox piloting inflicted so much structural damage it took the techs 9 weeks to fully repair.  Despite his strategic insight, his CO remained irate with him well past his graduation in 3048.  It is possible his tangle with the ISF and O5P is a result of this.

Additional Notes:

Hassan is permanently banned from entering any cooking facilities under the control of the HLB. - Caden 'Easy' Webb
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:01:16 am by esarai »
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Personal log, Master Sergeant Anders "Rapier" Bullman

So we've got our next contract, a big job for DCMS against the FRR. I'm looking forward to this. The Daybreakers are going to break through the enemy line to assault some forsaken station in the planet's polar region. Recon shows a bunch of medium tanks and light mechs. Shouldn't be a problem, but better be careful. An Awesome would be easily outmaneuvered by a light mech in close combat, but I hope we'll be able to at least leg them before it gets to that. We're not fighting in the city nor in the night this time, so there's hope we'll be able to engage at long range. Hopefully, we'll be done with this fairly quickly. Our smallest mech is a 50 ton Crab and we have two Awesomes, so we should walk over them, but surprises happen.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Alright.  'Mech variants updated in the most recent Orbat (not on the first post, will get to that in a bit).  I've checked/unchecked a whole bunch of optional rules and stuff in MegaMek.  I'll describe a few of the most important here, in case something happens that would otherwise be a wtf moment.

TacOps Battlefield Wreckage - destroyed units are treated as rough terrain instead of clear.  Rough terrain makes it more difficult to move through the hex and forces a piloting skill roll.
(Unofficial) Extreme Temperature Survival - infantry that are exposed to extreme temperatures don't die instantly, but there's a short window to recover them.  Seeing as this continent on Thule is pretty ****ing cold, this is a necessary option.  The temperature for the next two missions hovers somewhere between -40 and -50.
Through-Armor Criticals will "Float" - instead of being inflicted solely on torsos, if a TAC is rolled, the location is also rerolled.  This makes it possible to knock out components in arms, legs, or even the head without breaching the armor.
TacOps Firing While Prone - prone 'Mechs may fire even if one arm has been destroyed, but at additional penalties.

TacOps Glancing Blows - this is a very significant optional rule.  Any hit that gets the target number *exactly* deals half damage for direct fire weapons, while missiles suffer penalties to cluster tables and critical hits are more difficult.
TacOps Direct Blows - also very significant.  Any hit that exceeds the target number 3 or more deals one extra damage per 3 it exceeded the target by.  Missiles get a +2 bonus per 3 margin of success, and critical hits get a +1 bonus per 3 MoS.

Those two right there tend not to really cancel each other out, and in general, make the game a bit more tactical because suddenly keeping the TN high isn't a hit-or-miss kind of thing: even on an almost guaranteed shot, keeping it as high as possible can save you some damage, and it can turn what normally wouldn't be a killshot into one if you get lucky, or are good enough to dish it out.  Overall, Glancing Blows happen more often than Direct Blows, so expect to see the game last a little bit longer.  Compared to the first battle, however, games should be relative skirmishes.

TacOps BA Critical Hits - this is going to be very important when the Clans arrive.  When a BA trooper takes a hit, a second hit location is rolled.  If the same trooper comes up, he takes a critical hit and is killed.  I honestly don't know if "killed" means six hits and dead, or just critically wounded enough to be out fo the fight.  I'm pretty sure it means I'd be able to snag some Elementals as salvage, assuming I get lucky enough.

TacOps Standing Still - units that don't move in a turn are easier to hit.  When a unit is fully immobile by engine damage or unconscious crew, that bonus is replaced with the standard immobile to hit bonus.
TacOps Leaping - 'Mechs are able to move down more than two levels in a single hex, at the chance of falling over and taking damage.
TacOps Backward Movement (Expanded) - 'Mechs and vehicles can reverse along elevation changes, with a PSR.  This is probably abusing the bot tendencies a little bit because it loves to fall over, but it's handy enough that I try to not take advantage of the bot more than I actually use it when I need to.
TacOps Hull Down - 'Mechs and vehicles can go hull down for additional cover.  Additionally, 'Mechs can rise from prone to hull down with a PSR that does *not* cause damage if the roll fails, and there is no roll to move from Hull Down to standing.  I essentially use it as a slower, less damaging attempt to stand up if the pilot in the 'Mech is really terrible.  Vehicles absolutely like it, though.
TacOps Falling (Expanded) - a 'Mech that falls can instead choose to go Hull Down rather than taking damage.  This might actually make the bot survive night city fights, but I'm not sure if it's intelligent enough to use this feature.
TacOps Careful Stand - a 'Mech can attempt to stand using all of its movement at a -2 PSR mod (making it much easier).  I typically use this is if the 'Mech needs to be moving quickly, but pilot safety is still more important.  This is a very helpful option to have, even if Hull Down and Expanded Falling makes it a little redundant.
(Unofficial) Vehicles Can Be Abandoned - exactly what it says.  If I'm close to losing a tank, I can abandon it to preserve the unit.  I should have used this on both the Hetzer and the Manticore on the city fight, but I was under a bit of a misimpression that I'd be able to salvage them afterward.  Oops.
(Unofficial) Ejected Pilots Flee - Pilots and crew from downed or ejected units flee the scene immediately.  This makes that Extreme Temperature Survival rule from earlier a little redundant, but the bot has that pathological hate of pilots and infantry, so this is for every pilot's safety.

That should be most of them.  I've also turned on the simultaneous firing/physical phases, so I don't have to wait for the enemy to pick his targets before I pick mine.  I lose a little bit of immediate tactical knowledge, but gain immensely increased speed of play, which after last time's debacle, I have decided is important.

Last little bit of housekeeping before I start up the fights:

The temperature for sub-op HAYMAKER is -45 C, while the temperature for sub-op BRAWL is a comparatively balmy -38 C.  Infantry are going to be hard pressed to survive (so they won't be present), and for every 10 C or fraction thereof below -30, 'Mechs sink an additional one heat and vehicles suffer a -1 reduction to cruising speed.  In short, 'Mechs are going to be running cooler than usual (which is excellent for the 11th) and vehicles are going to be going slower than usual (also excellent for the 11th, less excellent for the 13th).

Personal log, Corporal Jean "Werewolf" Vidal

We're going to be assaulting a research station in the middle of a polar ice cap where temperatures are expected to be -45 Celsius during the attack.  I'll never understand these FRR guys.  Good news is my Mech will run a lot cooler in that weather, and the bad news is I'll probably freeze to death in less than a minute if I need to eject, so I'm staying in my cockpit in case of catastrophic engine failure where my end will be quicker and a lot less painful.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Patriot

Oh god Scotty, what have you done.

Glancing and Direct Blows is gonna bite us in the ass, because this is a HLP Let's Play, IT SHALL

Disregarding my initial blabbering, YAY DIRECT HITS :D.
Oddly enough not using this myself, cause my crack warriors could seriously wreck some mechs much quicker with that option on :/

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Glancing and Direct Blows is essentially the equivalent of Damage Roulette in XCOM.  So, I forsee lots and lots of glancing hits, and very very few direct blows.  We'll find out!

Offline Patriot

And for that reason, i say it's gonna bite us in the ass, as demonstrated by Night's XCOM LP currently running :P

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
In the queue:
IronBeer - Aerospace pilot "Wormwood"
Hobbie - MechWarrior "Hobbie" (conditional, Trebuchet)
that_guy_melvin - MechWarrior "Melvin"
Aw, I'm not in the queue?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Whoops, I missed your application in the thread somewhere.  Refresh my memory?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Whoops, I missed your application in the thread somewhere.  Refresh my memory?
Ah, no worries; I expect to die horribly anyway.

This is totally awesome; if you need another 'Mech pilot to bravely get himself killed, "Archmage" reporting for duty.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Added to the list of queued up callsigns for pilots.

Write-up of Operation: LIGHT HAMMER, sub-op HAYMAKER should be done before tonight.  Just as an fyi, I've also downloaded a set of camo/unit patterns for use in this campaign so I can fight things that are slightly less generic than red-for-enemy.  The Hussars helpfully have their own camo included in the pack, so you'll get a good look at the nifty parade scheme.

Offline Patriot

Just an FYI, i'm in September 49 with my campaign and just found Thule on the map, noticed a nice little odd color in that area.

Guess what, we get the bastards that get curbstomped in just over 8 years! Clan Smoke Jaguar gonna nuke us all!(it's their invasion corridor..)

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Yep, we're gonna be on Thule until the 7th of March. The Clans arrive on the 1st of March. Stick your head between your legs and kiss your booty goodbye.

In other news I want that Trebuchet. :P
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Just an FYI, i'm in September 49 with my campaign and just found Thule on the map, noticed a nice little odd color in that area.

Guess what, we get the bastards that get curbstomped in just over 8 years! Clan Smoke Jaguar gonna nuke us all!(it's their invasion corridor..)
Nope, Thule is in the Clan Ghost Bear invasion corridor. We're gonna get the entire 3rd Bear Strikers cluster on our heads. :)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Pssh
-50 C
I eat that for breakfast. Literally, I ate it after breakfast as I walked to school 1.4km from my house in a few feet of snow when I lived in the Prairies

Personal Log - Dr. Bones

I'll be expecting the worst on this one. Temperatures this low can certainly wreck havoc even if someone is only exposed for a brief moment, and with the blood pressure inherently going to be elevated... let's hope I don't have anyone coming in here missing a leg with hypothermia.

I've informed the pilots that in the event of a hull breach, it's recommended to do their best in order to seal it. Cold air freely circulating into the confined space may at first be a welcome thought, but with the cooling vest, you could find yourself falling to the elements.

On top of that, I've informed the respective commanders to ensure that the pilots wear their environmental suits. While it may hinder their abilities to an extent, if they need to eject it may keep them alive long enough for them to be recovered

(Had to do some reading, but it is under my impression that both of these [cooling vest and light enviro suit] exist according to the MWO forum about Battletech facts)
"No"

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

Quote from: Major Webb
Strobe, this is Easy.  Hussar unit spotted moving north, break.  Two lances, mixed vehicles and 'Mechs, break, approximately 40 kilometers south of objective alpha.  Vehicles slowed by temperature, break, 'Mechs unaffected.  Time is now 1641 lima.  We are moving to engage, over.
Quote from: Captain Roberts
Easy, Strobe.  Roger that.  Cleared to engage.  Good hunting.
Strobe, Easy.  Prep sunglare.  There should be plenty for them to do by the time we're done.  Out.

Contact.  Hussar units have fled their defensive positions to avoid getting outflanked, and run straight into the 11th Daybreakers.  The temperature has slowed the Hussar heavy vehicles considerably, which means that this contingent is unable to evade the heavier, nominally slower 'Mechs and the Daybreakers force an engagement.  Daybreakers attack from the west, targeting the quicker and unaffected by temperature light 'Mechs, and waiting to pick off the vehicles at their leisure.

The Hussars realize their predicament almost immediately.  The moment they realize they can't escape without being picked apart from the rear, they turn to engage.  The Bulldog in the back is either suffering from a minor breakdown or didn't get the message over the company net, it still has its soft rear armor to the advancing assault 'Mechs.

That's a fairly impressive oversight, considering that the Hard Light 'Mechs are already in range of the tank.  Technically, Easy and Rapier could both have opened up with full fusillades by now, and I can only assume they haven't in order to hold fire for a more devastating opening barrage.  Whatever the reason, that Bulldog is in for a world of hurt the moment they line up a better solution.

Here's the whole picture on a handily enlarged minimap to get a look at where the forces started relative to each other.  Range is already at 390 meters and closing for the lead Awesome, piloted by Master Sergeant Bullman.

Lieutenant Gibbs and Corporal Vidal advance along the flanks and begin sparring with the two fast-movers that have started for the lance.  Easy and Rapier both target the Bulldog and unleash a full six-gun salute in his direction (at 8s).  Duck adds a few medium lasers to the barrage to not waste any heatsinks and a PPC at the Locust.  Werewolf opens up with his main guns on the Cicada.  He's not likely to hit, but he wants to make sure that the Cicada knows it's not getting a free shot at the vulnerable rear of the formation.

The Bulldog, incredibly, weathers the entire hail of beams and particle projectiles.  There's nothing to speak of left of the armor on the left side, but the new inclusion of the Glancing Blow rule means it's not a kill.  One PPC hit and a medium laser from Duck both glance, dealing a total of 7 damage between them.  Good, in a way, and in a spring of good news, Rapier's pair of connecting shots stun the crew and disable the engine, so he's going to be a sitting duck for next turn..  I want to try and disable the turrets on these guys to see if that's what it takes to salvage vehicles.  All enemy return fire also misses.

The enemy 'Mechs turn out to be significantly more bold than I expected.  Fanatical is damn right when it applies to the 1st Hussar pilots.  Werewolf and Duck find themselves out of effective response range, either out of medium laser range or out of a good firing arc.  In retaliation, both of them take aim at  relatively easier shots on vehicles.  Duck decides the next Bulldog is ready for harvest, and Werewolf spars with the Vedette at range.  Rapier goes for the turret on the first Bulldog, while Easy shows the Hussar 'Mechs the error of their ways.  Double PPC barrage goes out toward the Hermes, as the least affected by minimum range, and the Cicada is about to get a pair of punches and a Small Laser.

Once again, Rapier absolutely savages the Bulldog, a direct hit from a PPC gouging into the left side and leaving it a smoking pile of wreckage, right before the other two shots pop the turret off like a cork.  That thing's hardly going to be worth salvaging after this is all over.  Duck damages the other Bulldog, but only slows it down instead of crippling it.  A few random lasers from the Hussar 'mechs skip and glance from the Awesomes' heavy armor.  They'll have to be dealt with immediately.

Quote from: Master Sergeant Bullman
Rapier, splash one Bulldog.

Speaking of which, Easy's kick the same turn takes the Cicada's leg off at the hip in one stomp, and it falls to the ground in a heap while Easy stays standing.  Scratch one 'Mech; it'll be down and out by next turn, at the latest.

The Cicada, impossibly, manages to stand up.  No matter, it's functionally immobile.  Werewolf closes back in to corral the 'Mechs, and succeeds in driving them out of close range.  Close enough.  Not pictured in that shot is Duck further north, taking the fight to the vehicles that haven't been engaged by the main lance.

The next round of fire sees the Awesomes take some non-trivial armor damage.  I'm going to have to start actually moving with them to keep the numbers up or these 'Mechs might actually inflict some meaningful damage.  On a contract like this, meaningful damage is a victory for the Hussars.  Duck and Rapier concentrate on the second Bulldog, and a shot from Rapier caves in the right side this time, and the tank is knocked out.  Easy takes the beatstick to the Cicada, which falls down again (this time missing both arms, too).

Rapier, splash two.  Bulldog two is down.
Easy, Cicada neutralized.

The Cicada knocks itself out trying to stand up (no surprise).  Werewolf gets the drop on the Hermes, but opens himself up for the Locust.  Good enough tradeoff.  This turn is going to be painful for the Hussars.

As it turns out, that tradeoff was not very good.  Werewolf takes a damaged heatsink thanks to a direct blow, but the Vedette loses most of its armor to a barrage from Rapier (seriously, he's getting a distinguished marksmanship award for this, or something) and the other Bulldog is stunned by Duck.  Easy's kick should put the poor Cicada out of its misery momentarily.  Or leave it with one point in the center torso and no more gyro.  At this point, I'm just going to leave it there and focus on things that can actually shoot at me.  Maybe I'll get the unconscious, immobile 'Mech as salvage?  We'll find out.

Duck and Rapier are about to utterly demolish the rest of the vehicles.  By the letter of the rules, once they're destroyed, the mission ends in victory as the enemy withdraws.  If I happen to kill more of them on the last turn, though...

The Bulldog takes a mauling enough from Duck to put it out of its misery, and the Vedette is on its last legs.  The Hussar 'Mechs are luckier even than they are skilled, landing enough damage on Easy's Awesome to drop it to the ground.  He avoids damage this time, so no Combat Wounds Ribbon for this engagement yet.

Quote from: Lieutenant Gibbs
Duck, Bulldog down.

Here you see the 'Mechs make their first really fatal mistake.  Every single one of them is in melee range of one or more much larger 'Mechs.  If the Vedette doesn't buy it this turn, I will be very surprised, and one or more 'Mechs immobilized is more likely than not.  The Locust took a head hit last turn, so there's a chance that'll contribute to some decent salvage, too.

This turn, Easy takes a 2 point head hit, so enjoy that shiny new Combat Wounds Medal.  Again.  He stays standing despite weathering a painful array of fire, and Rapier rips up the Vedette.  The Locust, Hermes, and Mongoose are all in various states of pain at this point, but none of them are combat ineffective yet.  Time to fix that.

Rapier, splash three.  Vedette down for the hat trick.

Physical phase happens, and everybody kicks Easy's 'Mech, all of them hitting the same spot and breaching the armor enough to take out a heat sink.  Damn, looks like the techs are going to have some stuff to actually do after this battle, unfortunately.  Then, he falls over and knocks himself out again.  This is becoming a disturbing habit, Easy.

In better news, the Locust and Mongoose both lose their legs in the return kicks, and the Hermes avoids the same fate by two points.  Regrettably, it looks like he'll get away, because all enemies begin withdrawing after the complete and total destruction of their armored column.  In this case, “all enemies” means something like the Hermes and nobody else, because every other Hussar unit on the field is missing legs or unconscious or both.

Easy, Locust down.
Quote from: Lieutenant Gibbs
Duck, Mongoose is down.

I claim victory, and the Hermes limps away with a damaged foot actuator.  I'll see if the game is willing to award me those 'Mechs as kills or if they somehow manage to 'escape'.  Interestingly, the Cicada pilot managed to wake up on the last phase, so he could conceivably escape?  I highly doubt it, but I don't know how MekHQ calculates these things.

Strobe, this is Easy.  Sunglare.  I say again, Sunglare.  Get those salvage teams out there.  We'll remain on station for one-five mikes before withdrawing to the rear for repairs.

Final count (according to end game screen):
Rapier – 3
Duck – 1

If I captured all of the legless 'Mechs, Easy will be credited with two, and Duck with another.

Awards to distribute for this sub-op:

Distinguished Marksmanship Badge
Master Sergeant Anders “Rapier” Bullman (he hit with at least one shot every barrage, every turn, and took down three of the vehicles with impressive shot grouping.  It's either this or a Red Light Award for Valor.)

Combat Wounds Ribbon
Major Caden “Easy” Webb (second award)

Thule Campaign Ribbon
Major Caden “Easy” Webb
Lieutenant Andrew “Duck” Gibbs
Master Sergeant Anders “Rapier” Bullman
Corporal Jean “Werewolf” Vidal

This time I'll go into a bit of the immediate post-battle stuff.

Here, I can look at who sustained injuries during the battle, and can manually readjust them if there's extenuating circumstances (like the 3rd Jump on rescue status).  As you can see, Easy is the only one to take a hit this time.

Here's what I can salvage off the field, none of it functional.  Turns out, none of those legless 'Mechs were captured, despite my units controlling the field after the fight.  Even the Cicada with one leg and no arms managed to get away, inexplicably.  The next time I get into a situation like that, I'm going to manually eject the pilots who are in otherwise hopeless situations.  This is one of those places that the bot is really limited, and I'm paying for it.  I decline all of the vehicles, because all I'd be doing is stripping engines, armor and weapons, and I can build up a little salvage credit with my employer.  That 50% limit is for the whole contract, so anything I pass here goes toward the contract salvage total, and lets me grab a functional unit further down the road without getting a minor contract breach.

Here I can review and assign kills.  If I disagree with one of the kills here, I can change it, and sometimes there will be unassigned kills (either units I don't normally control, like allies, or pilot error) that I can give credit to my pilots for.  This looks good for that mission, however, and will stay how it is.

Here, I write the After Action Report and go over everything that I just clicked through to make sure it's all accurate.

And here it is all written up and ready to be submitted.  If I want to go read it again, I can click on the completed scenario and check both the briefing, committed forces, and after action report as many times as I want.  If anybody uses the saves I attach to these posts, you'll be able to see everything I've typed for everyone.

I put Easy in the tender care of Dr. Bones, and head to the repair bay to take care of what I can before the next sortie tomorrow.  I want all of my techs to do as much as they can today before there are more repairs to do tomorrow.  I've already completed the Grasshopper's repairs in this picture, because it was missing a grand total of six points of armor.  Easy's Awesome has taken the most damage, though both he and Werewolf took some internal damage that needs to be repaired.  I set the techs on the 'Mechs, and get ready for sub-op BRAWL tomorrow.

It took less than a minute for the 11th Daybreakers to completely demolish this armored column, compared to the nearly 15 minutes they spent brawling in Milos Spaceport last time.  This is a lot closer to how games normally go, but this was pretty fast even against the bot.  Expect something like a happy medium for the majority of games.

The repairs end up taking a little bit more time than I have with my techs to finish.  I run out of armor in the company stores, too, and will have to get some more before the battle heats up tomorrow.  At this point, both the Grasshopper and Crab are fully repaired and the Awesomes are missing 74 points of armor between them; less than five tons.  I'm not going to have another battle until Monday, at the very earliest after these two, so I've got plenty of time to fix these up before then.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:56:53 pm by Scotty »

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Awesome. We ripped them to pieces.

Even if we don't get the Trebuchet I'm happy to remain in the queue for another mech.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Little update: the commendation list is now available in the first post, minus the Hard Light Service Ribbon, because that one has a really ****ing long list now that I've got infantry.

EDIT: Master Sergeant Anders "Rapier" Bullman has enough experience to improve from 5 Piloting to 4.  He's now a 4/4, and in serious contention for the Command Sergeant slot I'll need if I get any more infantry.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:20:11 pm by Scotty »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Daybreakers smashed their opponents. No surprise there. FRR guys and gals apparently charged to melee range. Have to be careful about that when we face off, the SCPs are pretty fast. We copied flash traffic from the JumpShip reporting the arrival of unknown ships. They've passed along IDs as they were able to make but they think their WarBook is on the fritz. A Black Lion.

There hasn't been a Black Lion in the Inner Sphere since Kerensky packed up and hauled ass. There haven't been any WarShips at all in the Inner Sphere since the Second Succession War, when the LCS Invincible misjumped on the way back to Tharkad. That was nearly two centuries ago.

Please God, let it be a WarBook glitch.

Spoiler:
Star Colonel Cote, the Sharp Claw has detached from the Bear's Den and will arrive in orbit of Thule soon. 3rd Bear Striker has the honor of taking the planet. Be aware that our initial assessment from the Watch was not correct. The Spheroids fight among themselves, and elements of the Draconis Combine's 14th Legion of Vega are reported to be on the planet, with support from a minor force of lucrewarriors.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wait, it's clan time already? Have I missed the other engagement we were supposed to have before that?

Also, looking at Thule on the starmap, we'll have fun times ahead. Even if we manage to get away from the Bears*, we'd have a whole bunch of Smoke Jaguars to evade until we get back into DC territory; that's of course assuming that we're able to actually make a retreat instead of being thrown into the face of the clans.

*AAAAhahhahahahaaa we're sooo ****ed
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns