Author Topic: How to post auditions (from VAC)  (Read 12570 times)

Offline CalmProto

• That's In There
How to post auditions (from VAC)
Producers, help recruit the best by following these guidelines when posting requests for voice actors.
Please include the following information:

-Name of movie/mod and brief summary of what it's about.
-Describe the characters you need voices for. Gender, age, voice type, accent, etc.
-Audition line(s) for your actors to say in the character's voice.
-Your e-mail address or other contact method (This is important. If you leave no email address in your post, interested VAs will have a hard time contacting you.)
-When is the deadline for sending in auditions?

Do NOT just make a post saying "Hey I need voice actors PM me if your interested, bye."
People will generally not want to help you if they have to PM you just to find out what you need.

Posted here is a template you may use:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
{name of project here}

{Background information. You can briefly explain the plot, your experience as a producer or animator, etc.}

{Name of Character #1}
{A picture of the character here. Not required, but would be helpful.}
Voice Type: {Is the character male or female? How old? Does s/he speak with any type of accents? Is the voice pitched high, low or medium? Don't expect to get good results if you don't specify.}
Audition Lines:
{with direction/emotion for each line requested}
1. {audition line}
2. {audition line}

(Repeat this for all characters in the production.)

Recording & Sending Information
{Do the files need to be in any specific format, ex: MP3, WAV..?}
Send your auditions to {insert your e-mail address here}

Deadline
{Please include a deadline for sending in auditions so that voice actors can prioritize.}

[Suggested] Rules For Posting Auditions

1. Edit your ORIGINAL POST when adding new characters or making updates on the casting status. Most people auditioning for a production read the first post of the thread and nothing else. Unlike Newgrounds, this board has an "edit post" feature, so you may edit your first post as often as you need.

2. You must state CLOSED or CAST somewhere in your original post once roles have been filled. This really helps to keep people from wasting their time auditioning only to find out a given part is already taken.
Upcoming deadlines should be listed in the subject line, for instance:

[Red Zone] Need Pilot 1 & Officer 3 - 2 Days Left
Red Zone Mod (CLOSED/CAST LIST UP)

Projects in which all auditions have ended but a "parts filled" notice is not present anywhere may be locked by a moderator. You are welcome to start a new thread if your project requires additional actors later on.

3. If you're not getting voice actors, be patient. Not everyone checks the forums 24 hours a day. You may "bump" your thread a maximum of once per day. Do not make a new post in your thread every two minutes asking why no one is auditioning for you.

4. Please be polite and professional when dealing with your voice actors.

5. Please check your post for spelling and grammar. Netspeak, indecipherable words, etc. in your script do not go over well with voice actors and make you look inexperienced or unprofessional. (The exception: If English is not your first language, please state so in your thread.)

6. Do not use your thread to send out the scripts and reference videos, tell your cast you need lines, etc. Get people's contact information when they audition and keep it on hand for future reference. Most people do not bother to check an audition thread after parts have been closed.

7. Because every voice actor has different "comfort zones", it is advisable to make a note somewhere in your post if your project will contain excessive swearing, sexual situations, or content which is generally considered offensive. This is more of a courtesy than an actual rule, as it saves embarrassment on both ends if you end up choosing actors who are uncomfortable with certain dialogue.

8. Auditions for adult content are allowed, however;
- Images in the audition thread must be censored to be reasonably "work safe".
- Actors must be 18 or older to audition for such material. It is the producer's

responsibility to ensure that actors cast for the role are of the legal age.
- This site will not be held responsible for any complications arising from your use of this board to solicit actors for a project of this nature.

9. If you are already planning to cast any roles to yourself or your friends ("self-casting/pre-casting"), that's fine, but it's better to note that beforehand rather than opening them up to everyone for audition.

Repeated disregard of the rules in this topic, especially after being asked to do so by an admin or moderator, will result in your topic being locked. Continually making the same topic after being locked without making any changes may result in a suspension or ban.
Thanks to Rina-chan of VAC for original write-up on their forums.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 07:15:15 pm by Mongoose »

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Re: How to post auditions
This is potentially useful. Sticky perhaps?
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I like it. Stickied. Mongoose can un-sticky if he likes, though.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hmm, i've read this somewhere before.

Good stuff though.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CalmProto

• That's In There
Hmm, i've read this somewhere before.

Good stuff though.
Yes it is not an original work, but reworked from VAC.  Sorry I forgot to credit them earlier.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: How to post auditions (from VAC)
Edited the title a bit and threw in a link to VAC for credit purposes, but I like the sticky otherwise.  Very useful stuff. :)