Author Topic: Collecting FS fanfiction in one place?  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Collecting FS fanfiction in one place?
Hello there.

So I've been reading a lot of r/HFY recently and I came up with an idea. I've reminded myself that there's a bunch of fanfiction texts based in Freespace universe, some of them even really good. But unfortunately, I don't think we've got any more or less complete index of these novels scattered throughout the Internet, so maybe we could set one up?

Here, let me start:

Fanfiction archive over at Freespace Files
Some texts over at fanfiction.net
Bunch of texts from Interplay's story contest in some archives
Batutta's two novels
Rheyah's Shetland/Ephesus

Maybe it would even deserve its own page at HLP Wiki?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 03:25:07 am by MitoPL »
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Re: Collecting FS fanfiction into one place?

Offline Mito [PL]

Actually, I'm also wondering if results of some of the ARGs we had on this forum would qualify, since things like Assassin714's The Final War for the Multiverse seem to also produce some content that could be definitely considered as a fan fiction text.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline PIe

• GTVA POLICE
    • freespace3.com
The winning Interplay stories are already on the wiki but don't have a category of their own.  Making a fanfiction category and adding all the stuff here isn't a bad idea.
[6:23 PM] PIe: why do I have the feeling that I shouldn't be able to give orders to 22nd armored hq
[6:24 PM] Axem: 22nd armored hq, i order you to get me a cup of coffee
[6:24 PM] PIe: and donuts
[6:24 PM] PIe: BECAUSE THIS IS THE GTVA POLICE
[6:25 PM] Axem: :O
[6:25 PM] Axem: am i under arrest
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: no, just please step out of the myrmidon
[6:26 PM] [`_`]/: you have so much to fred for

[9:50 PM] Sottises: wait did you do vassago's verge?
[9:50 PM] Sottises: .. dirge?
[9:50 PM] Axem: yes
[9:50 PM] Sottises: ohh
[9:50 PM] Sottises: well I have that and JAD too
[9:50 PM] Axem: :)
[9:50 PM] Sottises: what a contrast of themes lmao
[9:50 PM] Axem: isnt it
[9:51 PM] Axem: super grimdark thriller about unknowable alien intelligence and over the top colorful action about friendship
[9:51 PM] PIe: jad is grimdark???
[9:51 PM] Axem: :skull:

Perhaps it could be somewhat distinguished from the rest of the wiki content if it received some special layout like the Frontlines page:
https://wiki.hard-light.net/index.php/News(Frontlines)

Offline Mito [PL]

The winning Interplay stories are already on the wiki but don't have a category of their own.  Making a fanfiction category and adding all the stuff here isn't a bad idea.
However, the archive I linked to seems to have all of the contest entries in it, not only the winners. So uhh, more content!

Edit: there also are the Descent: Freespace stories which seem to be highlighted by Volition.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Just adding more and more content won't help much if readers don't know what it is about, if it's good etc...

Offline Mito [PL]

I don't quite understand you. Isn't it actually a good thing that we can get all of these stories here, not only the winners, since every one of them holds some kind of a value (and it would simply be a shame if these stories just disappeared)?

Also, you know, readers know what these ones are about. If these ones land in the HLP Wiki, it's obvious that people who will be around to check them out will most likely be at least vaguely knowledgeable about Freespace. And even if not, I don't think these stories require such experience with the universe.

If you meant categorising these and writing down some rough description for each one, of course they would need to be somehow categorised to be properly placed in HLP Wiki, but I'm not so sure about these short descriptions - IMO they would spoil some of the plot right away.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Of course it is good to have them all in one place, but when I went to the SG archive just once there was a lot of files. I don't know whether they're good or bad, but in general it's the same thing as with Knossos - it's good and easy, but you might think that "Shattered Stars" sounds cooler than "Blue Planet" depending on your liking...

Offline Mito [PL]

I can understand that this could be an intimidating concept for some, to try and dive into this with no guidance. But I think there shouldn't be a stiff rating system or something like that for these stories for the same reason there isn't one for mods on Knossos. There are definitely a couple must-reads, highlighting them being definitely useful for people that are just diving into this franchise, but I don't think having people clinging only to the stories that happened to be most popular or best rated, ignoring any smaller thing that can pop up around the place is a very good thing. But maybe each of these texts deserves to have a honest description next to it. I've got no idea here.

It could alse be of use to have some tags informing about the state of the story, for example:
[Complete]
[In progress]
[Abandoned]
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
There appears to be exactly one Freespace-related fic on AO3.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Re: Collecting FS fanfiction in one place?
Here's some more super-cool FS-related fiction: http://mt.hard-light.net/storyline.html

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The archive of VolitionWatch has some good stuff.  There are two stories published for Derelict, and some stories for BWO.

There is the VolitionWatch story archive, as well as Eishtmo's story archive.

There is the giant Leader for the Shivans story, in several parts.

I think many of these have been archived on SectorFiles.  I haven't done a complete inventory though.

Also, don't forget The HLP Movie and its sequel.

Offline Mito [PL]

So, a new developement in the community, Trivial Psychic's "Operation: Fearless" is an interesting text. 1, 2, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
(waiting for it to continue, of course)

Damage's short FS2 story.

Urbana's FS story.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.