Author Topic: [Re-release] Hellgate: Ikeya, Omnibus version (1.1.1)  (Read 16138 times)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
[Re-release] Hellgate: Ikeya, Omnibus version (1.1.1)
Took a bit longer than expected - now I will be gone for a while (got some papers to write):

Why the SC Taranis retreated to the Ikeya-System of all places, is a mystery that baffled the strategists of the GTA. To solve the mystery the GTD Galatea was sent to scout the system and confirm the size of the Shivan presence there.

-link removed-

Note: This release will eventually folded into a Memories of the Great War-"omnibus" release. (Done)

Summary of changes since the 2007 release:
- Updated Mission 2 to make it robust and forgiving.
- Overhauled Mission 3 to employ a better mechanic for the Download from the Suspicion.
- Added a new Epilogue. (Note: Due to engine limitations the sequence of the Epilogue is not optimal, I would have prefered the Fiction to come at end instead)
- Each mission now uses a system that limits the use of the Support Ship. Each Support Ship will now leave the field after resupplying 5 times. The maximum number of support ships is also capped each mission, the cap scales with difficulty, e.g. on Insane it's 2/3/2/5 while on Medium it's 7/12/7/15 (read {Mission 1}/{Mission 2}/{Mission 3}/{Mission 4}).

CREDITS:

Based on Conflict: Freespace by :v:

Uses the Freespace Port

Scenario/Mission Design - Jan ''0rph3u5'' Dombert

Scripts - "Axem"

Beta Testers:
2007 release:
- "Macfie"
- "Trashman"
2009 update candidate:
- "Rodo"
- "Solatar"
2016 update candidate:
- "Taranis"
- "Lykurgos88"

All contributors to the "Let's crowdsource an in-universe comments section!"-topic on HLP (Link):
- "Damage"
- "Kiloku"
- "Firesteel"
- "Assasin714"
- "Cyborg17"
- "MitoPL"

Special Thanks to:
- My friends and family,
- "Spoon",
- "Axem",
- "Mobius",
- "Nyctaeus",
- the community at Hard Light Productions,
- the Freespace Port-team,
- all contributors of the Freespace Upgrade Project
- and most of all, the Freespace 2 Source Code Project.

The "core"-package also contains:
- PVFg Cleopatra aka PVM Naunet – by “Axem”, with textures by “Black Wolf”
- PVCa Ramses aka PVCa Bastet – by “Black Wolf”
- GTF Hercules, Recon-variant – by “Galemp”
- PVM Duat - by "Oddgrim"

The campaign also comes bundeled with Axem's Message Box-script as an optional package.
(Note: the packages "Message Box-Script" and "Message Box-Script+small HUD" are mutually exclusive)

Hidden Text: Beta Videos • Show
Access to the videos has been restricted temporarily as I've recieved a copyright complaint through YouTube against them.

Hidden Text: Loading Screen Texts • Show
[Mission 1] The Sianai Incident (2327), part 1

Since the beginning of the Fourteen Year War, scientists on both sides researched ways to transit ships through higher subspace domains. The GTA's efforts remained fruitless as more conventional subjects for wartime research were favoured by the Admiralty Board.

[Mission 2] The Sianai Incident (2327), part 2

In 2327, a Vasudan research team reported a breakthrough in subspace technology at the Sianai research station in Aldebaran. While the details of their research were not transmitted, the PVN leadership greatly anticipated the practical application of the results.

[Mission 3] The Sianai Incident (2327), part 3

Information of the Sianai team's breakthrough was leaked to agents of the GTI. As a response the GTI dispatched a covert operations unit behind enemy lines to observe, sabotage and steal the enemy research.

[Mission 4] The Sianai Incident (2327), part 4

As result of the GTI's sabotage, the Sinai research station was partially displaced into subspace, destroying the equipment and killing the scientists. The GTI team was never heard from again.

Hidden Text: Medals in Hellgate: Ikeya • Show
All medals require the player to set the difficulty to at least "Medium" and not to use cheats. Also, due to engine limitations only one medal can be earned per mission.

Mission 1 - Commendation Medal (1)
- Successful Mission Completion
- When Delta and Epsilon arrive, the Lone Wolf's hull value must be > 85 %.

Mission 2 - Distinguished Service Cross
- All ships of Gemini wing must successfully dock with the Galatea.

Mission 3 - Commendation Medal (2)
- The Galatea must never fall below 85% hull value.

Mission 3 - GTI Unit
- Scan the engine subsystem on the Suspicion's wreckage.

Mission 4 - Distinguished Flying Cross
- Fully disarmed the Orcus before it escaped.

Mission 4 - Commendation Medal (3)
- The Galatea must never fall below 75% hull value.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 04:53:28 pm by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline AdDur

Re: [Re-release] Hellgate: Ikeya, 2019 update
Played, enjoyed - altough personally i foung Lights more fun to play, yet Hellgate was definatelly worth time spend to finish it - i realy enjoyed mission with data dowloading - it was a challenge for me, and yet it was still fair.

Hopefully we will get third part of memories soon!

why no highlight?

Offline 0rph3u5

why no highlight?

I didn't ask for one, and personally I don't think it deserves one: It's a re-release after all.
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

If it's a major improvement it deserves highlight (and you get more people to play it). :)

If it's a major improvement it deserves highlight (and you get more people to play it). :)
Seconded. :yes:
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline AdDur

Highlight would be nice thing...

Offline 0rph3u5

Far be it from me to stand in the way of the popular vote .... and I guess, in this case I shouldn't be the sole arbiter of the stuff, considering "Let's crowdsource an in-universe comments section!"-contributors deserve their credit - as do the people who's models got bundled into the core package (because I am too lazy to purge the Vega Must Burn-stuff).

==================

Probably you should use more highlight-friendly promotion pics next time you release something. :D

Offline SL1

I'm getting a crash when loading mission 4, with an error message that says "Argument count is illegal". Looks like it has something to do with the Phlegethon. It says the error appears to be warp-effect.

Here's my fs2_open.log:

https://fsnebula.org/log/5d26f7d5cb0d332f86b98301

Offline starlord

I’m wondering if it is possible to destroy the orcus at all or if you had a future plan regarding that ship...

Offline 0rph3u5

Probably you should use more highlight-friendly promotion pics next time you release something. :D

Promotion is...  for other people.

I'm getting a crash when loading mission 4, with an error message that says "Argument count is illegal". Looks like it has something to do with the Phlegethon. It says the error appears to be warp-effect.

I am embarrased to say that I didn't do backwards compatibility check with 3.8.0 - that would have cleared that up.
Basically, there has been an addition to the warp-effect SEXP between 3.8.0 and the Nightlies I have been using for the update. If you switch to a Nightly it will work fine.

I've updated the Knossos meta-data so it will fetch a Nightly automatically, but I don't know if you have to be on the "Preferred Stability: Nightlies" setting for that to take effect.

I’m wondering if it is possible to destroy the orcus at all or if you had a future plan regarding that ship...

It is not possible to legally destroy or disable the Orcus in Mission 4.

As the campaign is over ten years old, I had numerous ideas where to go with the Orcus, but today I have no plans other than it being an urban legend that I can reference in the Capella-era (and I've no plans to go beyond the Capella-era).
Most of the ideas were boiler-plate but some were rather freaky, e.g. one in which during the reconstruction a terran faction discovered some Shivan ships carried what looks like hyper-aggressive pioneer flora (= plants you'd start terraforming with; Shivans got to eat something) and tried to find the Orcus in order to raid it.

If you want to use the Orcus as a hook in your campaign, be my guest.

ps. The same doesn't go for the Suspicion - I've got plans for that.

==================

Offline SL1

I am embarrased to say that I didn't do backwards compatibility check with 3.8.0 - that would have cleared that up.
Basically, there has been an addition to the warp-effect SEXP between 3.8.0 and the Nightlies I have been using for the update. If you switch to a Nightly it will work fine.

I've updated the Knossos meta-data so it will fetch a Nightly automatically, but I don't know if you have to be on the "Preferred Stability: Nightlies" setting for that to take effect.

Thanks, that fixed it.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Played, enjoyed, finished. Overally this one captures FS1 vibe well.

Spoiler:
Suspicion mission is crazy but also very satisfying. Is there any way to save pair of Fenris cruisers in 4th mission? I'm busy with Orcus' turrets when this cruisers attack. Looks like they are being deployed to certain death. At the same point I'm impressed by duel of Galatea and Orcus. Reminds me Walking on Ashes.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

Spoiler:
Suspicion mission is crazy but also very satisfying. Is there any way to save pair of Fenris cruisers in 4th mission? I'm busy with Orcus' turrets when this cruisers attack. Looks like they are being deployed to certain death. At the same point I'm impressed by duel of Galatea and Orcus. Reminds me Walking on Ashes.

re: Fate of the Fenris
Spoiler:
It's not possible the way the mission is balanced - simply because the Nephilims are always armed with Harbinger-equivalents that take out the cruisers in 2 hits; in future missions I will not repeat this, simply employing more wings and a wing naming scheme that doesn't "run dry" like the classic FS1 one does.

Story-wise, its a two pronged attack and you arrive out of position because of the technology the Shivans use to stabilize the node; which puts you on a huge disadvantage compared to the original plan.

ps. Galatea vs Orcus is the granddaddy of Meretseger vs Malevolence ;)

==================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Spoiler:
Okay... I can buy it. It's common tendency in fanmade campaigns, when lots of enemy capship dies without casualities on our side. I wasn't paying attention to our cruisers, so assumed they just died from sustained fire of shivan fighters and bombers... So your campaigns are the only mods featuring coherent shivan bomber assaults :]. The Liliths using green subspace magic are cool, but for unknown reason this caused large drop of framerate.

Both duels are epic. Reminds me original duel of Tantalus and Bastion or Corrida de Torres from Between the Ashes. Exchange of fire using some dedicated anti-cap weaponry would significantly improve the effect, but it's little you can do about it because FS1 ships are armed like crap by default.
...anyway Light of Antares is next on my list :]

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline 0rph3u5

re: dedicated anti-ship weapons:
Future FS1-era campaigns will have that - the Rain on Ribos IV-update too. The Demon as a missile destroyer keeps having hick-ups due to the turrets involved, but I am confident to finish that by the time Vega Must Burn releases.

re: Frame rate drops:
That's new. I took care that there wouldn't be a huge overlap between the effects so it would not be ressource drain. I may look into it and re-calculate the interval times at a later date.

==================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Maybe rework Terran Heavy Turret for terran ships? Elongate the trail, give it some muzzleflash and impact explosion, incrase dmg etc. You know, all the things which makes weapon looking like heavy, anti-cap armament. Orange variant would work for zods. If you want to keep everything as canon as possible, you may introduce this as prototype mounted on only certain vessels. If you don't like anything like INFA-style railguns, BtA-style capship-mounted torpedoes are good alternative. Something like that would work well as gap-closer between beam cannons and FS1 blob-centered armament.

Offline 0rph3u5

I see that I really need to catch up on BtA - If only to steal their effects package :D

Hidden Text: FS1 era capship plans • Show
Vega Must Burn will include increased impact explosions for the THT, VHT & SMFT, and that will then patched into upcoming versions of the HGI and LoA. I also recently added the GTFg Jupiter to give the Terrans an "old-fashioned" anti-capital railgun plattform (because the Sirius GTA does a lot more low tech warfighting); the Typhons in VMB will switch to ship-to-ship missiles if required, as does a Demon-class destroyer.

As Project Neutrality and Of Shivans and Men both use Fury AI, I am not quite finished with adapting and expanding that for those two. (It's a backburner issue)

==================

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
 :yes2: :yes2: :yes2: