Author Topic: 3D Printed Freespace Models For Sale  (Read 6849 times)

3D Printed Freespace Models For Sale
So here's the deets...

I've been 3D printing some models of the ships in Freespace for myself but after sharing the results in the Discord I got a few requests to for me to make and sell them for people in the community to buy. Needless to say because of the collaborative nature of Freespace this makes things a little complicated. I did not after all create the original 3d models, and I'm not really looking to profit off them.

I've had a think about it and this is how I was thinking of doing it:

Cost for a single model = $80NZD plus a Donation up to the Purchaser.

Here's how that breaks down.

Cost of a filament spool +
Cost of shipping from New Zealand to Your Country +
Cost of helping cover consumables such as paint and brushes +
A donation up to the purchaser.

Right now in 2023 it costs me about $40NZD for a spool of Filament, and about $30NZD to post internationally so that comes to a base cost about $80NZD.
Any additional donation you want to kick in on top of that is up to you.

I'm not super comfortable profiting off these models (given that I didn't create the initial 3d model) so because of that I really only feel comfortable accepting a donation, up to the purchaser based on what they feel is fair.
A donation helps me cover replacement parts for my printer and gives me a little for my time as these models are time consuming to make and paint.
This is the best way I could think to go about it. I really like model making and painting so I don't care about it being 'worth my time' in a monetary sense. It's a hobby I enjoy.

I'll be streaming my work on models as I paint them (both my own models and ones for y'all). I'll stream on Wednesday afternoon my time and you can find those streams at:
https://www.twitch.tv/stargirlsagan

If you want one, here's what you should know:

1. These models take a while to make. They usually take 2-6 days to print and a several hours to paint so production will be slow.

2. If you already have the 3D model of the ship you want made that is really helpful to me (.STL files are best, but .POFs are also okay).

3. Just because a 3D Printer can make pretty much anything doesn't mean it will make anything well. Some models translate better to the real world than others. There's a reason I've only done Terran ships so far.
Generally speaking, ships with thin parts, or complex curves or overhangs don't print easily.

4. Keep in mind that I live in New Zealand which is (and this is a true New Zealand fact) located on the 4th moon of Jupiter so shipping is not the cheapest.

So if all of the above sounds okay to you, contact me via email to put in an order at: [email protected], on the HLP Discord or here on the Forums.

Here are some examples of my work so far:

In regards to supplying extracted .STLs, feel free to get in touch. I have many on hand, but far from all. I'm more than happy to send them your way if you need. Otherwise, here's my full guide on how to extract them from the game, and turn them into a real thing for yourself here

Good luck.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 06:03:04 pm by Magnitospheria »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: 3D Printed Freespace Models For Sale
This is great, I'll definitely order an Earth Alliance fleet once Inferno Nostos Act II is released.  :yes:
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I would love to have this, but I slightly worry about shipping costs from NZ to NL

So shipping has actually turned out quite a bit cheaper than expected if you don't mind the basic option. It works out usually around $15 USD, however that's the basic option so no tracking or signature verification. A courier with tracking and signature works out more like $40-50 USD

Offline Bossman

tbh i want this so bad but my partner will mock me for approx. 1 eternity.

That said... I really could use a GTD Bastion model... I'll just go ahead and save your email now.

So I finished the first request I've received, The LSF Champion from Wings of Dawn. The blue is a little more subdued in person, a little darker and less luminous.
It's a really beautiful ship, loving those classic anime vibes. It pleasantly reminded me of the Space Battleship Yamato.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 02:08:32 am by Magnitospheria »

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Random thought/suggestion: you could eventually get in touch with a local company and tell them what you're up to, so that you can get a reasonable estimate on the shipping costs to, for example, European countries.

I'm no expert when it comes to cargo (I do occasionally manage cargo flights, but not from a logistical standpoint) and IIRC, shipping costs vary a lot depending on the countries involved, package size, perishability, weight and so on. Perhaps you could write down a list of "possible" costs on a per model/shipping basis.  :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Hey, just saw this thread.
I tried something similar to this in the past:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=95547.msg1891772#msg1891772

TLDR: Made an STL of the GTD Erebus from blue planet. link available in that thread to download if you want to have a go at it!

So, I finished a new one. This Deimos was comissioned by someone on the forum and goes out this week. I'm really proud of this one, it's a huge improvement over my original Deimos model, so much so that I've actually stripped it and am going to be repainting it.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Looks great.  Something to aspire to  :yes:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

So, I finished a new one. This Deimos was comissioned by someone on the forum and goes out this week. I'm really proud of this one, it's a huge improvement over my original Deimos model, so much so that I've actually stripped it and am going to be repainting it.

Man seeing these is making me want to have another go at 3D printing ships and painting them...
Now just to find the time!  :mad:

Anyways that looks incredible! nice work!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd be better if carting my printer 700 miles a week in a sports hatchback wasn't such a pain in the bottom.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

This one was a bit of a challenge. I've never done a Shivan ship before, this is the first one I've completed. I'm really happy with how it came out! It'll be heading out to it's new owner next week. c:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Damn that is awesome.

These look amazing, you wouldn't happen to be selling the STL files as well?

Offline Dysko

I would also be interested in this (especially a GTF Perseus one), and since I do scale aircraft modelling I already have all the necessary painting equipment.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Lafiel

You can simply extract the files from the MediaVP package from Knossos if you want to print them yourself.
Magnitospheria has detailed the process in another thread, actually:
https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=97708.0

Check under the "Finding and Extracting the model you want"-section. Just make sure you actually grab the files from the MediaVP's and not the retail VP's if you want the full glory of the community assets.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've added some stuff about buying unpainted models, and offering the original STLs to those who want them in the first post. Merry Christmas 💜

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I've send a PM! Happy new year!
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Here's the latest comission! A GTF Herc, I actually have another one of these coming soon too haha. Hercs all around!