Author Topic: IDF: 10 year old girl is valid target  (Read 56140 times)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
IDF: 10 year old girl is valid target
http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1124-06.htm

I wish Sandwich and HLP was available right now.  :wtf:

I'm glad Sandwich and HLP are available.

(taken from NW ;))
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
War, Religion and Politics
That is terrible :(

Though you will take into account that some action has been taken against the commander involved when discussing this? I cannot condone what happened there, it sort of taints my views....

Theres going to be debate about the fact that some 10 year old kids are being trained as bombers, and counter claims that she wasn't posing a threat etc......

I would like to hear Sandwich's views on this, but not just to have yet another pop at the IDF ;)

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
"Though you will take into account that some action has been taken against the commander involved when discussing this? "

Yeah you mean the commander who won't be charged with even manslaughter because there's no proof the two bullets killed her? :meh:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I know what you mean Vyper, it is disgusting, theres no other way to describe it. :(

I wish there were......

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Could they still  charge him with murder?

Simply because I remember they did that with a British soldier (over the killing of an Iraqi) who had returned from Basra - albeit there may have been a technicality with the court martial that allowed that.

A Dutch marine got charged with murder after a ricochet bullet it an Iraqi robbing supply trucks. Mind, the prosecution halted after the public outrage, but yeah, murder charges could work.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Disgraceful.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

This is absolutely upsetting. Terrible.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm starting to vote for the Palestinians.....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Sick. Just Wrong. F*cker should be lynched.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

That's what happens when you let a psychotic piece of **** be a military commander. He will probably receive a medal for killing a child.
"It  is a gross misconception that the web have a higher porcentage of maniacs, low-lifes and retards than other media. They're just more vocal in the net"

"Yes, yes I know. People are idiots and do stupids things. There's nothing you can do about that. So get over this and make me a sandwich"

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Just fair warning: Watch yourselves in this thread please.  No more rampant flaming political discussions please.

Also I should say...one source on such a controversial issue (or ever) is really not enough.  Look at this academically and try and consider multiple viewpoints...we're all intelligent enough to deal with things with a better level of analysis.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you realy haven't been paying atention to the other political threads have you :)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
Originally posted by IceFire
we're all intelligent enough to deal with things with a better level of analysis.

*scoffs*
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Sick. Just Wrong. F*cker should be lynched.

I would tend to agree however they dont have a death sentence here. the worst you get is life in prison which for him I think would be more fiting anyway I think he should be put in a prison with a bunch of palestinian terrorists who have been arrested maybe then he can see the diffrence between a 10 year old girl and a 30 year old guy! :rolleyes:
What you don't see with your eyes, don't invent with your mouth. Yiddish proverb

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
First, I'm a bit doubtful of a news source where they highlight an article called "Ten reasons not to move to Canada". Is there any other source? What time of the day it was, for example?

Second, I'm sorry for the girl and all, it's a horrible thing, et cetera, but what if the bag had in fact contained explosives? Cases of children being used for suicide bombings are not unknown, and it was a "no entry zone" - meaning she shouldn't be there, so at least part of the responsibility is with her parents for letting her go there. If I was the garrison's commander, and had orders to shoot anyone who crossed the perimeter, I'd follow them - unless they had provisions for not engaging a specific type of intruder.

Third, I'm sure all the palestinians are horrified for this, but they don't even blink when Israeli children, alongside their whole families, are killed on suicide bombings of buses and restaurants - places that don't even have the "no entry zone" status.

So yeah, forgive me if I'm not for lynching or hanging that guy. I'd have to hang a lot more people higher on the list before I got to him.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Styxx
First, I'm a bit doubtful of a news source where they highlight an article called "Ten reasons not to move to Canada". Is there any other source? What time of the day it was, for example?

Second, I'm sorry for the girl and all, it's a horrible thing, et cetera, but what if the bag had in fact contained explosives? Cases of children being used for suicide bombings are not unknown, and it was a "no entry zone" - meaning she shouldn't be there, so at least part of the responsibility is with her parents for letting her go there. If I was the garrison's commander, and had orders to shoot anyone who crossed the perimeter, I'd follow them - unless they had provisions for not engaging a specific type of intruder.

Third, I'm sure all the palestinians are horrified for this, but they don't even blink when Israeli children, alongside their whole families, are killed on suicide bombings of buses and restaurants - places that don't even have the "no entry zone" status.

So yeah, forgive me if I'm not for lynching or hanging that guy. I'd have to hang a lot more people higher on the list before I got to him.

Well, according to the article he not only injured here, but then moved in and killed her.

In the recorded exchanges someone in the operations room asks: "Are we talking about a girl under the age of 10?" The observation post, housed in a watchtower, replies: "It's a little girl. She's running defensively eastwards, a girl of about 10. She's behind the embankment, scared to death."

Not until four minutes later was it reported that the girl had been hit and had fallen.
The observation post reports: "Receive, I think that one of the positions took her out." ... Operations room: "What, she fell?" Observation post: "She's not moving right now."

The tape records the commander as telling his men, after firing at the girl with an automatic weapon and declaring he has "confirmed" the killing: "Anyone who's mobile, moving in the zone, even if it's a three-year-old, needs to be killed."

The tape, broadcast on Israel's Channel Two TV, gives the most graphic account of the killing after which soldiers in the company, part of the Givati Brigade, complained that they had been "besmirched" by the company commander's insistence on "confirming the kill".

The army admitted shortly after the shooting near the Girit outpost that it had been a mistake. The girl was carrying a bag which the army said that the soldiers had thought contained explosives, but which was found to contain schoolbooks. Although the family is at a loss to explain why she had wandered into a dangerous prohibited zone, they say she was on her way to school at the time.

The soldiers said that the commander had fired two shots at the girl from close range as she lay on the ground before withdrawing, turning and "emptying his magazine" by firing some 10 bullets at her body.

Now, the Israelis definately have robots capable of bomb disposal use - I remember them from a TV report; also, why did this guy see fit to walk over to a several wounded youngster and 'empty his magazine'?  Especially as it would seem very likely that he would be able to simply kick the bag away, and if she was wearing a bomb-vest he'd surely be in danger by walking into close range.

So, even if he could justify the initial shooting, then what followed does seem unjustifiable from my perspective.

NB: yeah, it is hypocritical to have a mass Palestinian outcry about this but not about Israel children - or indeed civillian - casualties.  But what can you do but hope the other side is able to maintain a sense of morality about what they've done or do wrong?

EDIt; Oh, and the fact that the article says the soldiers there felt 'besmirched' by the killing probably indicates a lot about the illegality of it.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, if you consider only the fact that he shot her after she was down, yeah, I'd consider that reprehensible, but not nearly enough to warrant lynching or the death penalty. She was already down, probably dead. Anything up to that point is justifiable in my view, and probably what they've been ordered to do.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Clave

• Myrmidon
    Get Firefox!
    • Home of the Random Graphic
Shooting a 10 year old girl or boy is never justifiable.
altgame - a site about something: http://www.altgame.net/
Mr Sparkle!  I disrespect dirt!  Join me or die!  Could you do any less?