Author Topic: IDF: 10 year old girl is valid target  (Read 56135 times)

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
But the question that religion addresses is unprovable. Therefore, it is not defying what science tells us is true.

Bingo again.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Actually, events in religious books have, on several occasions, been backed up by science. Such things as the Walls of Jercho etc (Not the act of blowing the bugle, but the fact that Jericho was where it was said to be, and it did indeed have very thick walls.)

In fact, once of the most interesting programs I ever watched on Discovery was about a wooden vessel that had been found buried in a Glacier, which matched the Ark for size and composition. Though, it is suspected there were far more than one.

I'll see if I can find a link, it was utterly fascinating.....

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
But I'm not talking about Biblical events; those are immaterial. I'm talking about the question that makes religion what it is: The question of god.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, religion wasn't always about 'God' as such, he's actually pretty much a n00b on the religious scene. We had Sprites, which mutated into Spirits and then all got bundled into one big 'God'. The evolution of Religion is very similar to the evolution of science, it is the search for the one big 'Answer'.

Neither are right or wrong, but one could not come into existence without the other one popping up as well. And neither science nor religion would function properly without the catalyst of the other.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Sweet zombie jesus, what have I missed here then?

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I would argue, however, that our need for god has always been the same regardless of what we call it or whether it is plural or singular. I see polytheistic gods as nothing but multiple faces of one god, just as one god is comprised of multiple sides. God is a figurative description for our need to connect with our universe. And in a way, god is also a projection of ourselves onto our surroundings.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Exactly, God is the personification of what we don't understand, that does not always equate to ignorance.

And yes, we need 'Gods'. As I said earlier, without religion, the Sun wouldn't rise in the morning, there would merely be a big bright thing in the sky from time to time, there would be no curiosity, no awe, no wondering what it is or how it got there or why it moves.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I never argued that god is in any way related to ignorance. That was Kazan. :D

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Deepblue
Please understand me. The associated press got a hold of the pics when they were FIRST POSTED ON AN ISLAMIC EXTREMIST website. Thats why all the prisoners have their faces blacked out (a rather bad job of it at that). The AP doesn't do that.

:wtf: Did you even read the article? Here I'll quote it for you seeing as you'll probably just keep arguing your bull****.

An Associated Press reporter found more than 40 of the pictures among hundreds in an album posted on a commercial photo-sharing Web site by a woman who said her husband brought them from Iraq after his tour of duty. It is unclear who took the pictures, which the Navy said it was investigating after the AP furnished copies to get comment for this story.

The images were posted to the Internet site Smugmug.com. The woman who posted them told the AP they were on the camera her husband brought back from Iraq. She said her husband has returned to Iraq. He does not appear in photos with prisoners.

The wife said she was upset that a reporter was able to view the album, which includes family snapshots. Hundreds of other photos depict everyday military life in Iraq, some showing commandos standing around piles of weapons and waving wads of cash.

The images were found through the online search engine Google. The same search today leads to the Smugmug.com Web page, which now prompts the user for a password. Nine scenes from the SEAL camp remain in Google's archived version of the page.

"I think it's fair to assume that it would be very hard for most consumers to know all the ways the search engines can discover Web pages," said Smugmug spokesman Chris MacAskill.

Before the site was password protected, the AP purchased reprints for 29 cents each.

Idiot.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
hehehehe That wasn't directed at anyone, I just thought I'd head off the argument before it was raised by anyone ;)

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Thrilla
Tell me about it.  My unit just got back from Germany last May and is redeploying to Iraq next Fall.  Sounds like fun.  At least I get to see the world.  :)

Landstuhl by any chance? how busy were things there April/May?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
flipside: some parts of the bible being based upon reality doesn't make the entire thing true

you should know that
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
You are missing the entire point of the argument.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh, even if the events are true, I don't believe the context for one moment ;)

I think the point that is trying to be made is that Religion is not the enemy of science, though certain religious views may fly in the face of what science believes, but is, in fact, the natural twin brother of it, both as different as can be, and yet related. They were both bred from that same awe and need to understand, only they chose different routes.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I've never seen science & religion as incompatible, myself.  Strange bedfellows sometimes, but they are really just ways of looking at how the universe works; how different is religion from philosophy, anyways?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
So why the constant need for religion to meddle in science's affairs? Such as evolution and stuff? :confused:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Ghostavo
So why the constant need for religion to meddle in science's affairs? Such as evolution and stuff? :confused:

I think it's simply because there are some people take a very narrow & literal view.  Some religious people think science destroys their faith, some aetheists presumably think religion destroys science.

I mean, the basic thing is that usually the person who shouts loudest has the least useful thing to say; that's why they have to shout.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by Gank

:wtf: Did you even read the article? Here I'll quote it for you seeing as you'll probably just keep arguing your bull****.

Idiot.

No need for name-calling.

Thats just what I heard, however I geuss I was wrong.

Sorry. :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I would say that is more a case of the Church meddling rather than religion. The thing is, a purely scientific society would, by now, be practising cloning, humans, genetic manipulation, would be using animals and 'defective' humans for experiments, would probably encourage Euthenasia and Abortion for population control etc. Because that would be, from a purely logical point of view sensible for the human race.

However, the Human Race is not a group of opinionless, emotionless automatons, they have feelings and wants and needs. In a way, religion tries to act as our conscience to sciences' logic. It doesn't work very well at the moment, because of both lack of trust and powermongering, but that, I think, is the way things ought to be.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
i think it's clearly demonstrated that certain religious individuals destroy science*

*or attempt to
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir