Author Topic: IDF: 10 year old girl is valid target  (Read 56131 times)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Oi vey, let's not go there.

Please.

I posted this to start a discussion about religion with none of the insults or implied hostility that comes from a news story about yet another person be sued because they are Chrisitans.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
You think that is why hostility starts? oh boy...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Gank

prove it.

I assume you are referring to the actuality/reality/existance of Jesus' sacrifice when you say "it"?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Gank

the donut sandy, the kids got theres, wheres mine?

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Liberator
Still they do not understand...

You are the one who can't understand, apparently.

Threads merged.
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline ionia23

• "YES, I did finally see 'The Matrix' 12 years late
Once there was an ugly barnacle
who was so ugly that everyone died

The End
"Why does it want me to say my name?"

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Ok...I've often been asked, as someone with a scientific view, what if you are wrong about God...

My own feeling is that Science has learned more from being wrong than it ever did from being right, still means I'm screwed, but hey, it's too late by then anyway ;)

Let me now take my turn to reverse that question, what if there is no God and no Jesus, what do those morality tales tell us now?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
That it's bad to be the smartest in the class?
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Thrilla

Originally posted by Flipside
Ok...I've often been asked, as someone with a scientific view, what if you are wrong about God...

My own feeling is that Science has learned more from being wrong than it ever did from being right, still means I'm screwed, but hey, it's too late by then anyway ;)

Let me now take my turn to reverse that question, what if there is no God and no Jesus, what do those morality tales tell us now?

Then you just lived life as you wished, and that you lived it the way you thought it was right.  If there is no God and no Jesus, then when you die you aren't going to know.  You'll be dead!  :)
94th Combat Support Hospital, 807th Medical Brigade

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
What I'd like to ask, is what is more important - believing in God or being a good person?  

If I were to, for example, spend my Sundays volunteering for charity, would I be worse than the person who spends their Sunday morning at church and their Sunday afternoon sitting on their arse?

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Religion is alot like a tree. Its kind of old, about 10 feet tall and there's a guy way up at the top throwing apples at people.

no, wait, religion is actually like a car. American made, 10 miles per gallon and the mechanic always rips you off when you go in to fix it.

I'm spamming.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Gank
the donut sandy, the kids got theres, wheres mine?

Right... there. *points to heaven* ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
The most important question is why should we even bother taking sides?

If science is right, we're ****ed and should do as we please. If Christianity is right, I can do as I please and beg forgiveness on my death bed.

So, with science lacking any punishment for non-believal, I think I'll live a life of sin and then beg forgiveness.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Thrilla

Originally posted by aldo_14
What I'd like to ask, is what is more important - believing in God or being a good person?  

If I were to, for example, spend my Sundays volunteering for charity, would I be worse than the person who spends their Sunday morning at church and their Sunday afternoon sitting on their arse?

It depends in whose viewpoint?  Mine?  I quite honestly don't care, and normally don't even bother to ask of people's religious preference I personally think that is more of a personal question.
94th Combat Support Hospital, 807th Medical Brigade

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Rictor
Religion is alot like a tree. Its kind of old, about 10 feet tall and there's a guy way up at the top throwing apples at people.

no, wait, religion is actually like a car. American made, 10 miles per gallon and the mechanic always rips you off when you go in to fix it.

I'm spamming.

no ****, Sherlock?

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Exactly! It's not about God, it's about Good ;)

The whole thing about these morality plays is that it assumes that people are learning a 'lesson from God'. They are not.

You could equally apply the press-up analogy to our treatment of the third world... Regardles of whether we need or want the goods, someone is suffering so that we can have the luxury of choice. Not so easy to make that choice when you are watching them suffer though ;)

So at the end of the day, it depends how you apply the morals with regards to yourself, not who you attribute them to.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 05:41:16 pm by 394 »

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by an0n
The most important question is why should we even bother taking sides?

If science is right, we're ****ed and should do as we please. If Christianity is right, I can do as I please and beg forgiveness on my death bed.

So, with science lacking any punishment for non-believal, I think I'll live a life of sin and then beg forgiveness.

Except, an0n, that death bed conversions while they do happen, is more an act of fear than actual acceptance that Christ died so you wouldn't have to be tossed into hell without a second look.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
You're assuming there is a Hell.

Jews don't believe in Hell and neither do a multitude of Christian religions.

Plus, the odds of picking the right religion out of the thousands that are out there are far less than the odds of science being right.

So I'll take the 'life of sin' option, if you don't mind.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Ahhh, I'm gonna do a Hippo, *bangs head on keyboard.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Gank

Originally posted by Liberator
Except, an0n, that death bed conversions while they do happen, is more an act of fear than actual acceptance that Christ died so you wouldn't have to be tossed into hell without a second look.

Soo, the donut is there, but unless we eat it we're going to hell, or unless we feel sorry for the sap doing the push-ups we're going to hell?

Originally posted by aldo_14
Like, people kept on falling off roofs, so there's a line about building battlements on your house in the Bible.  That sort of thing.

Really?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 05:48:52 pm by 723 »