Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 589203 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
But what's been released of SC is already one of the best games ever made.  Better than many AAA titles out there.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
For only many many many many many many many times the cost.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline CT27

Final Fantasy: released several parts already...
Star Citizen: well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Jj3aWrgbbo

Speculation on if FF7R will be at E3.

I'm baffled why anyone gives two ****s about a remake of an RPG. I get that it's one of the most famous FF games, and its one of the defining games of the early PS platform but it's a story- and stories are only experienced for the first time once so unless they drastically alter what happens, existing fans will already know the outcome and story beats.  And if they do heavily alter the story, is it still FF7? 

It might be interesting to see what this game doesn't differently from the old one but that's an exercise, not an experience. People looking for a hit of nostalgia and recapturing of youth would be better served by booting up the old game for the memories it will invoke.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
Same reason people watched the original trilogy remastered I guess.
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm baffled why anyone gives two ****s about a remake of an RPG. I get that it's one of the most famous FF games, and its one of the defining games of the early PS platform but it's a story- and stories are only experienced for the first time once so unless they drastically alter what happens, existing fans will already know the outcome and story beats.  And if they do heavily alter the story, is it still FF7? 

It might be interesting to see what this game doesn't differently from the old one but that's an exercise, not an experience. People looking for a hit of nostalgia and recapturing of youth would be better served by booting up the old game for the memories it will invoke.
Becauuuuse being an early PS1 title, the game looks like complete ass now?  And most people love re-experiencing their favorite stories.  You might as well ask why anyone would bother replaying FS1/2 with the MediaVPs enabled.

And some people might not have played the original version when it was new, and can't now because of the ass-lookingness of it.

Becauuuuse being an early PS1 title, the game looks like complete ass now?  And most people love re-experiencing their favorite stories.  You might as well ask why anyone would bother replaying FS1/2 with the MediaVPs enabled.

Yeah but its a REMAKE not an Enhanced Edition. They wont be re-experiencing the same story, they are being retold an altered version of the story with different mechanics, cutscenes and so on.  For example the battle system is real time action with character swapping instead of turn-based.

And some people might not have played the original version when it was new, and can't now because of the ass-lookingness of it.

Unless those people are Final Fantasy fans I'm not sure why they would care.  Like everyone says Planescape torment is amazing, I've only played a few minutes of it, but if someone re-made it to be a Witcher/Dragons Dogma style 3rd person RPG would there be a big buzz around it?

What's odder is that remaking a story-based game seems akin to remaking a movie, and I don't get the impression that most people are thrilled to see their favourite old movies re-made.  People love their favourite movies cleaned up and re-released on bluray/HD digital but, re-made?

For games there's not really a comparative example I can think of since most re-made games are either action games or re-imaginings, or just lack the popularity (Bionic Commando, Master Blaster, Boy & his Blob) but if for example X Com: Enemy Unknown was the same as it is except it used Xcom: The Bureau's combat system would it have had the same reception?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 04:56:30 pm by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I think you're forgetting that starcitizen is good.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
I preferred the war of the worlds remake to the original
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine

Secret bomb God.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I think that remakes for video games are useful. A movie from the 1930s can be restored to be look perfect on a BluRay. Because there are old movie roles, you can use as a Master.

But you do not have this for a video game. Video games can look and play very dated. Video games can be getting much older than movies.

So yes, a remake is actually useful. You can get an older game and to make it feel like a complete new one. A remake is actually much more desireable than a remaster in an interactive media like video games. Because video games are simply played differently today than twenty years ago, also as i said, they simply look old and plays old, too. A movie is still a movie you can watch and the most problem of older movies are actually computer generated special effects, because they were created from the same limitations as video games. But otherwise, in Movies you do not have technical reasons to create a remake. Old movies can still look like new ones. Sure there are movies, where a remake would also be better, but mostly because the original is a bad movie due to a bad script.

But video games get bad, because they look old and does not offer gameplay mechanics current game in the genre has.

Age of Empire: DE is a good example for a game, where a remake would be much better than a Remaster... because in its core they kept the same game, but made the graphics better... this contrast is simply destroying the Zeitgeist this game has. Because it looks new, but it still has the old gameplay which does not feel right to such graphics. In comparsion to Starcraft 2, Grey Goo or Ashes of Singularity... ouch. And these are the titles a newly released RTS has to compete with. It is not 1998 anymore.

Yes, you are right, for the few people that still love a game from 20 years ago, they do not need a Remake or even Remaster. But it is a complete new game with an old story for a new generation of players. I do not see the problem in this. It would be much worse if they would release the same old game with a few new graphics only and make the impression, that they are simple ignoring all the developments the genre has in the last two decades.

If there were no SCP and FreeSpace 2 with the graphics of FSO 3.8 and MVP2014 would be released as an official remaster by Interplay, i actually would dislike this kind of release, because the gameplay is simply still the same from two decades ago with all the very confusing control options for new players (i do not know a person who need more than 1/4 of all the individual keys the game has to offer), lacking a good controller support (joysticks are nothing more than a gimmick today, that's just how it is) or that you have to create a good controller config for yourself, the extreme long loading times by today standards and some convenience options especially on the lower difficult settings. And even there were not much gameplay developments in this genre since the original, at least there were some and they should be considered and not be ignored. Some of these developments are even part of some SCP campaigns during the last couple of years.

So a remake is not for the people from back then, it is for the people from today.

And i think that some of you have children already? Would it not be good, that your child can comprehend your feelings you had as you experienced the story of FF7 for the first time? If you give show your child the PSX original it would maybe say "What? You played this ugly and unintuitive ****?" instead.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 05:56:51 pm by Novachen »
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I think that remakes for video games are useful. A movie from the 1930s can be restored to be look perfect on a BluRay. Because there are old movie roles, you can use as a Master.

But you do not have this for a video game. Video games can look and play very dated. Video games can be getting much older than movies.
Keep all in mind that when talkies and colour came out studios remade many of their best hits with sound and colour.
Ben Hur is a famous example in that regard, we have a silent b&w version in 35mm and a colour sound version in wide format film.

Of course sometimes a remake can use the same premise but do something different with it even if it's the same author like Hitchcock when he remade his own movie The Man That Knew Too Much, and this FF7 remake seem to be largely the same deal which means that unless the remake is an unmitigated disaster there will be both people that prefer the original and the new one.

Another thing we have to keep in mind is that a limit of videogames is that they are tied to their platform, getting an old game on a new PC or console to work is not as straightforward as scanning the original negative of a film using a UHD sensor. Sometimes a "copypaste" remaster of a videogame is necessary just for the sake of compatibility, think of all the people that have troubles with retail Freespace 2 because it refuses to recognize their keyboard.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Lorric

Maybe in the future CIG will remake Star Citizen. Before they've finished making it. :P

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Maybe in the future CIG will remake Star Citizen. Before they've finished making it. :P

I think that's what is pretty much going on continuously at CIG.  I like to imagine SC is a self cannibalizing Shivan nightmare fuel furnace as depicted in BP.   Only instead of randomly gestating a super predator fit to conquer the current sapient species that needs stomping nothing makes it past Alpha before it gets nommed by new features.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Yes, you are right, for the few people that still love a game from 20 years ago, they do not need a Remake or even Remaster. But it is a complete new game with an old story for a new generation of players. I do not see the problem in this. It would be much worse if they would release the same old game with a few new graphics only and make the impression, that they are simple ignoring all the developments the genre has in the last two decades.

Yeah but it's the players who played 20 years ago who are losing their **** for the remake, or at least that's my perception.

If you give show your child the PSX original it would maybe say "What? You played this ugly and unintuitive ****?" instead.

Kids play minecraft, roblox, garry's mod etcetera, I think they care far less about graphics than the rest of us.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:46:22 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
FF7 is pretty ugly these days though. The NTSC-resolution field graphics look ugly no matter how many deblocking filters you apply to them, there's an inexplicable art shift happening every time we go from field to combat (i.e. character models in the field are chibi-style, in combat, things get more realistic), the UI is clunky and unintuitive in places.

Minecraft looks the same no matter the resolution you play it at. FF7 looks bad on anything except a PAL/NTSC TV.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
there's an inexplicable art shift happening every time we go from field to combat (i.e. character models in the field are chibi-style, in combat, things get more realistic)
That has been a thing with final fantasy in pretty much every FF title before 7 too, though. With your characters still being chibi pixel style, while facing these much more detailed and realistic monsters.
inexplicable art shift as it might be, at least it was holding up a tradition of sorts there.

It's been too long since we mentioned that starcitizen is good.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

It's been too long since we mentioned that starcitizen is good.

So is Star Citizen going to be in the PC Gaming show at e3 that starts in 6 1/2 hours?

Offline CT27

^Will CR live that long though?