Author Topic: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)  (Read 588922 times)

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Re: Wing Commander 6: The Undiscovered Release Date (Star Citizen Thread)
The SC subreddit is starting to see a lot of discontent lately.

It's been too long since we mentioned that starcitizen is good.

Offline Luis Dias

Beyond Good and Evil 2 will release before Star Citizen and I'll laugh endlessly at the fallout of that.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I don't have high hopes for BG&E2.

But it's definitely going to be a game I can choose to play at some point in the future, and that's more than can be said about SC.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

oh neither do I, I have little hopes for *any* game coming out these following years tbh. I'm even skeptical that 2077 will only be a mashup of GTA meets Witcher meets Deus Ex, instead of awesome (I know, most of you would love that mashup, I don't).

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
"The Molyneux" is always an option to either team ;)

"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The SC subreddit is starting to see a lot of discontent lately.

It's been too long since we mentioned that starcitizen is good.

Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Lorric

I wonder how Star Citizen would be looked upon if they'd never at any point set a release date. Would they be regarded as making steady progress (however slow and beset by problems) and expected to eventually release?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I wonder how Star Citizen would be looked upon if they'd never at any point set a release date. Would they be regarded as making steady progress (however slow and beset by problems) and expected to eventually release?

That's a good question. Personally, I think that even without their habitual deadline missing, CIG would still be seen as sort of bumbling and inept; There's just so much in this project that has gone wrong beyond the deadline issue that it's hard to overlook. The game, as advertised now, is very different from the initial pitch; while there is a certain tolerance towards the end product not necessarily matching the pitch 100%, the way this has been communicated is just bad. CIG has consistently prioritized making promises to new backers over fulfilling commitments to existing ones, and that's just an epic management fail no matter how you look at it.

The question doesn't make sense.  Star Citizen wouldn't exist without kickstarter, kickstarter requires an estimated release date, therefore star citizen would always have a release date.

If it wasn't crowd-funded, its development would not be the subject of public scrutiny it would be secreted away behind closed doors, backed by publisher money which would have been exhausted by now. And when those funds were exhausted, the game would be subsequently cancelled, or Roberts would've been replaced earlier with someone who could get the job done. OR Roberts would have a producer would set constraints on the scope of the game, and it would've been released in that form probably with a ton of bugs and other problems.

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
The question doesn't make sense.  Star Citizen wouldn't exist without kickstarter, kickstarter requires an estimated release date, therefore star citizen would always have a release date.

Star Citizen would certainly exist without Kickstarter. Only $2 million was pledged through Kickstarter, the rest went through RSI site itself.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Which came first? (I genuinely don't know)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Star Citizen would certainly exist without Kickstarter. Only $2 million was pledged through Kickstarter, the rest went through RSI site itself.

And how many people who pledged on RSI would know about the project if not through its exposure during the kickstarter?  How many games media websites would direct people to a developer's website that was asking for money with zero accountability?

Which came first? (I genuinely don't know)

Kickstarter.
The RSI website was just a countdown clock before the KS launched.

Offline 666maslo666

And how many people who pledged on RSI would know about the project if not through its exposure during the kickstarter? 

At the end of the initial crowdfunding campaign, around $6.2 million was raised, only $2 million through kickstarter. It was a minor factor.

Kickstarter.

Wrong. Crowdfunding started on RSI site after the countdown and Kickstarter only came later. I know this because I actually had credit card issues backing the game through official site and only backed after Kickstarter option launched, so I remember this specifically. Little googling backs me up:

https://gamerant.com/star-citizen-wing-commander-kickstarter/

Kickstarter was simply not very significant in RSI crowdfunding campaign. RSI site itself was the main source of pledges.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

And how many people who pledged on RSI would know about the project if not through its exposure during the kickstarter? 

At the end of the initial crowdfunding campaign, around $6.2 million was raised, only $2 million through kickstarter. It was a minor factor.

Kickstarter.

Wrong. Crowdfunding started on RSI site after the countdown and Kickstarter only came later. I know this because I actually had credit card issues backing the game through official site and only backed after Kickstarter option launched, so I remember this specifically. Little googling backs me up:

https://gamerant.com/star-citizen-wing-commander-kickstarter/

Kickstarter was simply not very significant in RSI crowdfunding campaign. RSI site itself was the main source of pledges.

If Kickstarter was not significant, why does funding slow to a crawl after the KS ended? It took a month to make the first 6.2 million dollars, and 7 months to make the next 6.2 million. 

In the last two days of the KS, the campaign raised 2.2 million dollars - it would take four months to make that same amount (Nov 19 - Mar 18)

Kickstarter's impact on the crowdfunding campaign is abundantly clear.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Also, calling a third of the funding received "not significant" must surely rank somewhere near "development only started last year" on the list of hilariously flimsy bull**** SC supporters have spouted.

Sure, the majority of the funding came from their homegrown platform. The majority of the publicity surrounded the kickstarter however; without it, they would've lost more than just the 2 million in pledges raised on kickstarter itself.

I also find it amusing that maslo said the KS page was not significant while admitting that it was the only way he was able to pledge to the campaign.

In fact Kickstarter was SO insignificant, that Roberts launched his campaign there even after he specifically said that he would not.  In a little bit of irony, the kickstarter campaign links to multiple interviews where he says he wont use kickstarter.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I don't know about that. A lot of the initial buzz around Star Citizen was due to the massive kickstarter. If they were just some other game that wasn't crowdfunded I don't think they'd have been able to get away with their whole "I'm supporting the development of the game" cash flow model. That's pretty much dependant on their whole "We don't have a publisher. So no one can force us to reduce quality" shtick. Without the kickstarter and everything that followed, they'd have had to get a publisher to make money, which puts us right back at having a release date.

EDITED to make it clear who I was replying to.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:44:26 am by karajorma »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline 666maslo666

If Kickstarter was not significant, why does funding slow to a crawl after the KS ended? It took a month to make the first 6.2 million dollars, and 7 months to make the next 6.2 million. 

Because that is when the initial crowdfunding campaign ended.

Sure, the majority of the funding came from their homegrown platform. The majority of the publicity surrounded the kickstarter however;

Nope, there was little publicity specifically connected to Kickstarter, publicity was due to Star Citizen *crowdfunding* in general.

I also find it amusing that maslo said the KS page was not significant while admitting that it was the only way he was able to pledge to the campaign.

Nothing amusing about it, numbers dont lie. Kickstarter backers like me were in the minority even during the initial campaign, and completely dwarfed since.

Nothing amusing about it, numbers dont lie. Kickstarter backers like me were in the minority even during the initial campaign, and completely dwarfed since.

Yes numbers do not lie, such as the number that Project Eternity held the crowd funding record at 4.16 million dollars, more than the 4.1 million raised by RSI which means all of the post-campaign press celebrating Star Citizen breaking the records would NOT HAVE HAPPENED without the kickstarter campaign.  And without that press, where would Star Citizen be? Far less funded than it is now I am sure.

Or do you believe that being able to make the claim that they made the most money in history is not significant?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 09:40:34 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline 666maslo666

They would have certainly passed 4.16 million or whatever even without Kickstarter, it would take them only slightly longer. They would also get similar press coverage. I do believe that in an alternate history without Kickstarter, we would still be looking at ~$180 million pledged right now, maybe minus a handful of $ million. Vast majority of this money was pledged long after the Kickstarter thing was done and forgotten. I just dont see what is so significant about Kickstarter and as far as I remember, it was just a way to enable pledging for the minority of those who could not or did not want to use the official site and was always of secondary importance even during the initial crowdfunding campaign, much less later. Of course all this alternate history stuff is pure speculation and if you want to believe otherwise, be my guest, I can correct some factual errors here and there but cant really positively prove you wrong, lol