Author Topic: War in Heaven Voice Acting — VICTORY IS LIFE!  (Read 114404 times)

Re: War in Heaven Voice Acting Death March
I understand that most roles are done but the last few pages implied the team were still looking for alternative options for some voices? I've just recently picked up a far better mic than I used to have and would be happy to contribute my Australo-Kiwi hybrid sound to this, unless you've got enough of us already. ;)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Hell yeah. Feel free to take on any of the roles from Artemis Station except for Mence.

Oh man! Wish I had known about BP earlier so that I could have tried out for Al-Dawa!

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Oh man! Wish I had known about BP earlier so that I could have tried out for Al-Dawa!

That may become an option in the future.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Not to mention that
Spoiler:
Al-Dawa can easily be voiced by multiple people.

But yes, this only covered acts 1 and 2, so there are plenty of Act 3 roles that haven't been cast (although we're unlikely to see an Act 3 Voice Acting Death March for quite a while).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Given how insanely resource-intensive the death march has been, and how much development tempo it's cost, another march should probably wait a while.

I understand that most roles are done but the last few pages implied the team were still looking for alternative options for some voices? I've just recently picked up a far better mic than I used to have and would be happy to contribute my Australo-Kiwi hybrid sound to this, unless you've got enough of us already. ;)

Volunteers to record voice lines.  :yes:

Comes down with epic flu that kills voice completely for a week.  :mad:  :no:

Offline DPO

Submitted some voice parts for things that still needed doing.  Any idea how long it'll be until I hear back?  I'd like to record more but need to know if my voice will be useful.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I'm pretty ****ed for the next few months, work-wise. Sorry. :(

I can try to give you a quick listen and my gut response, though...

Your mic is clean, and you have decent delivery. Unfortunately I've lost track of whether we need any more very small roles filled. Maybe a couple in the Artemis Station cutscene.

Offline DPO

Oh, thank you for replying so quickly!  I'll look into those Artemis station parts.  With you swamped could someone else take on the mantle and get the work done for you until you're free again?

If that would be too complicated for the existing Acts, perhaps someone could take the script for Act III and start assembling parts for it? 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We've tried using other voice coordinators in the past, and they've done great work, but in the end it's generally come down to my time.

A handoff would be ideal but I can't really figure out how to pull it off. It's frustrating, because two solid weeks of good work should wrap up everything we need for release.

Offline DPO

What work needs to be done, exactly?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
A lot of mixing to make sure lines pop through music and SFX, pickups on a few missing/misdelivered lines, playing through a few times to look for missing lines, Dreamscape tutorials for 2 more of the Act 3 missions. A sweep through the whole story from AoA to Act 3 to make sure no bugs creeped in and to spot a few opportunities for polish. Maybe a cool bonus mission. Probably some other stuff.

Offline DPO

I've never actually done mixing or I'd volunteer.  What about the possibility of releasing an alpha of the voice pack now to crowd source exactly what lines need fixing, and find any bugs or rough spots?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If that would be too complicated for the existing Acts, perhaps someone could take the script for Act III and start assembling parts for it? 
IIRC, somebody was actually doing this (Aesaar, I think?), but the script for Act 3 is, uh, massive. So it would probably be on par with the amount of effort for acts 1 & 2, which would be severely draining, to say the least.

What I'm saying is, don't hold your breath.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
The biggest hurdle is just getting people. Someone with the skills and a decent amount of free time could pull everything off, but while many have the time, most lack the skill required for something that matches the quality of the source material.

To be honest, while I'd love to see the remaining Blue Planet acts get voice-acted, each act is such a massive, time-consuming undertaking that it's pretty much unfeasible to attempt in a manner that people haven't already forgotten about it. This project started in... what, mid-2013? It's claimed the sanity of at least two people who tried to spearhead it, myself included (though my time in the military towards the end severely hampered my ability to do stuff, so...).
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We managed to get the talent needed to make the main characters in Act 1+2 sing. It just took a couple grand out of my pocket. I really do want to get it done! I'm just not sure how I'll pull it off before my next book is done.

Offline DPO

If it's a matter of organizing the script into sound files, soliciting them, sorting the resulting files into which ones sound promising, communicating with all the people who send files and helping them do so, that stuff I could do if it would help to get Act III started.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Stilll happy to submit more auditions if you (Battuta) think there's something I might be a good fit for. I really thought you guys were done though. That's how the OP makes it sound.

EDIT: Sounds like the real limiting factor is the time you can dedicate to it though.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
We're done collecting voices, more or less. I just need to do a couple more days of mixing and design work.