Author Topic: new glow point code  (Read 12557 times)

Offline RandomTiger

Sorry to OT your thead Bob but since Daveb seems to be reading I'd like to ask him one question:

What kind of speed boost can we expect from a full hardware T&L FS2 engine?

I think we are getting very close to the point where we can take that job on and any insight on it would be great.

Im assuming from what I've seen working on DX8 stuff that it should be very significant. Since projection, transformation, lighting and fog could all be handled in the card instead it should go lighting fast. It just seems to be a matter of seperating the rendering functions into groups like:

2D background (planets, sun etc)
2D projected in 3D (main wrap effect)
2D always facing viewer but drawn in correct order with 3D stuff. (particles, thruster glow, beam focus)
true 3D shapes (shapes)
2D foreground (HUD, etc)

And changing how they are rendered on that basis.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2002, 09:38:55 am by 848 »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Dave rarely replies to direct questions, but he's there, and if he sees something interesting he comments.

Kind of like God. :D
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
Dave rarely replies to direct questions, but he's there, and if he sees something interesting he comments.

Kind of like God. :D

Hm... God hasn't spoken recently... lol
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h

Hm... God hasn't spoken recently... lol
Are you sure about that? ;)
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline RandomTiger

Was worth a try.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Not to overshadow the quest for dave, but perhaps Bob, you could explain why when I tried to run a mission using ur executable (to see the Orion) the engine crashed out and said it couldn't find a warp.pof (or sumthing similar)
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase it has my warp model loading, though I thought I had handeled the case were it couldn't find the model.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Eep!

The glow points themselves look good, but the spotlights look more like jets of steam. And really, we shouldn't be able to see spotlight beams in space at all (ZB attempts to recall any scifi that has visible spotlight beams...... and fails).
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Solatar

In a nebula you should be able to turn on headlights. That would be awesome. Course you'd have to darken the nebula.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Yeah, have spotlights/headlights a nebula-only thing, like contrails. The lighting should still work outside the nebula but not have that 'cone' around it.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Solatar

Maybe you could have a mission where there is no sun, and the only light you have is your headlights. YOu must fly with your instruments, and rely completely on targeting.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you can specify a diferent texture (includeing the lack there of) for nebula and non-nebula missions, so it's up to the artist on weather they want these or not,
remember reality isn't always the coolest
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
There's an ep of Bab5 where some Starfurys are flying over a derelict and they're lighting it up with spots. As an effect, that would be damn cool. It could even be added as an adjunct to the scanning system (getting a visual ID on stuff, natch).
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Anaz

on your orion bob, it tells me it can't find a texture....

here is popup:

Error: Couldn't open texture ''
referenced by model 'capital01.pof'

File:C:\fs2_open\fs2_open\code\Model\ModelRead.cpp
Line: 1700

Call stack:
------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Originally posted by Hades
We need runway lights on the Orion. And the Shivans could look freaky if they are glowing red.

Have you seen the new TRON 2.0 game?! Imagine the Shivan ships with THOSE lighting effects! Wowzer!

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Unknown Target

Have you seen the new TRON 2.0 game?! Imagine the Shivan ships with THOSE lighting effects! Wowzer!

Have you seen the hardware requirements for the new TRON 2.0 game?!

Seriously, even with normal FS2 polycounts, a modern machine would bog because of all the nifty hardware effects they're using to get those pretty lighting effects. :(
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Bobboau

remember reality isn't always the coolest

Damn straight :nod: :)

Originally posted by Bobboau
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/newglow.zip
I have perfected type 1 glow points
they look like this

im curious are those flood lights in the front of the fighter? if so, is it in THIS NEWGLOW.ZIP or your other glow map release? if possible PM me cause this thread i actually just discovered in another forum.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they are glow points that are rendered like a beam, they do _not_ cast any light, I think all the stuff is in the zip
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

i done d00d it again... with the advanced release of these uniqure BWO ambients, and lighting functions, i have utilized bobs glow function with BWO lighting to give you, 99-100% absolute darkness.

i fought some shivan fighters this way, oye oye oye oye... bob pimp the glows all over d00d.

thoughts? also im going to see tonight what i can do bout the nebula situation to give peeps an idea how it looks right now with the "Search lights".
« Last Edit: January 23, 2003, 11:29:06 pm by 382 »