Author Topic: A very usefull AI cammand  (Read 3893 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
A very usefull AI cammand
A attack any capship command (for capships..maby even bombers)..
Very usefull in larger capship battles.

Imagine 3 of your capships attacking 12 smaller ones.. Each capship can have only 4 slots(i think) in fred for commands..
So ..you have one of your capships attacking 4 of the enemy..
If one of yours gets tagged, other capships will just stand still and will not attack/follow his remaining targets...

See the problem?:D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
In most parts of most campaigns, the player is at most a Commander in grade.  Most capital ships are commanded by officers of higher grade than Commander.  The player really shouldn't be able to give orders to bigger ships.

Now, if you meant one of those commands in the ships editor, I say to you: use sexps.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Script the battle using waypoints. Even if you added this SEXP the ships would fly around the target and look stupid anyway.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was talking about the ships commands in the FRED ship editor...

And it's far easier to just have that simple command insted of three hours of mission scripting ans SEXPs....

The capships would look for hostile ships with a capital flag and jut attack...when the target is dead, they'll look for another...simple...

And it wouldn't stop you from using SEXP's if you wanted to, but for really big battles it's a godsend....:D

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Simple solution: Tell all of your capital ships to attack every enemy capital ship with the following s-exp.

Event Name
---add-goal
------
------ai-chase
---------

Offline Solatar

Originally posted by Joey_21
Simple solution: Tell all of your capital ships to attack every enemy capital ship with the following s-exp.

Event Name
---add-goal
------
------ai-chase
---------

We wanted this new ai command so we wouldn't have to do this...

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by Solatar

We wanted this new ai command so we wouldn't have to do this...

And what's so hard about using this command. Use it once on every ship and you're done. :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TrashMan
I was talking about the ships commands in the FRED ship editor...

And it's far easier to just have that simple command insted of three hours of mission scripting ans SEXPs....

The capships would look for hostile ships with a capital flag and jut attack...when the target is dead, they'll look for another...simple...

And it wouldn't stop you from using SEXP's if you wanted to, but for really big battles it's a godsend....:D

It would be easier but unless the ai is also improved (which is not an easy task) then the resulting battle would probably look like crap.
 Capships that are told to attack the enemy tend to circle around the enemy in a pretty stupid looking manner. Thats why I said to script the battle properly. That way you know where your ships are at any given time.

That said if you really want this SEXP I have no problem with that. Combined with a distance SEXP in a later event it could have uses.  All I'm saying is don't ONLY use this SEXP to do your scripting or your missions will look dreadful.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Solatar

And what's so hard about using this command. Use it once on every ship and you're done. :rolleyes:

Have you even read this thread? Do you understand what this new ai would do?

Obviously not.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Well, large battles are allway chaotic, and ship stupidly circling around each other would look rather real:D

No...seriously...
Thes AI command would be of great use...
Set all ships to attack, and during the mission you can allways allso use the SEXP....

----------------

Event Name
---add-goal
------
------ai-chase
---------
-----------------------

That will command the GTD Galatea to attack the SD Tantalus..
It will not attack the SD Eva, SD Demon, SCV Tiamant, etc...
But note that you havle LOTS of ships...

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
if you have THAT many capitals in a mission at once (3 taking on 12!!), you better rethink it
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I can think of at least one scenario that is at the very least feasable:  The 3 v 12 could be 12 cruisers of various class vs. a mix of destroyers and corvettes.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Ups..double post..:o [color=66ff00]Fix0red :D [/color]

Some campaigns have large battles where ships are spred out a bit (and some are running away)... In those situations some ships often stand idle which looks very stupid....

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by Solatar

Have you even read this thread? Do you understand what this new ai would do?

Obviously not.

Yes, I do believe I know of what is being thought of, but I think it may be a waste of the coder's time because cap ship beams are automatically supposed to detect enemy cap ships. Really, I don't think there is any need for s-exping because of this.

The friendlies will randomly pick an enemy and fire. Simple as that.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
so you mean they will randomy fire ther guns? so they wont br attacking a ship will they... :rolleyes:

and whats this about beams supposed to detect other ships? Who cares about the fiction? the code does not have to adhear to the games universe:wtf:
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
so you mean they will randomy fire ther guns? so they wont br attacking a ship will they... :rolleyes:  

The friendlies will randomly pick an enemy and fire. Simple as that.

Put a colossus and a sathanas in a mission. Give neither of them any orders, only beam-free-all both ships. Watch them fight.

Then... add a ravana next to the sathanas (still giving no orders to any of them but just beam-free-all) facing the colossus and make the colossus invulnerable and watch them fight. Watch the colossus 0wn both of them.

I have been FREDing since 1999 so I think I would know what I'm talking about. :p Unless, of course, this feature has been disabled in recent versions. :ick
« Last Edit: May 26, 2003, 04:37:48 am by 34 »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
That will work ONLY if the enemy is in weapons range..
Will the Collossus chast the Stah if it moes away? NO
Will it go after the Ravana after the Sath is destroyed (ravana is far away)? NO

See the problem NOW?

Offline Joey_21

Originally posted by TrashMan
That will work ONLY if the enemy is in weapons range..
Will the Collossus chast the Stah if it moes away? NO
Will it go after the Ravana after the Sath is destroyed (ravana is far away)? NO

See the problem NOW?

Ok, so basically, the enemies are moving away. Why not use waypoints then? Even then the friendlies would still fight and travel at the same time. :)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
I agree with Joey, capital ship battle need to be scripted using waypoints, unless you just want ships circling around each other ten minutes at a time.  You can also set up the waypoints so that you present the most available firepower.

Example: the Sobek has 2 main beams, both facing forward with rather generous firing arcs, but once within a certain distance of its target, it simple circles around that ship, presenting it with a broadside attack.  Despite the Sobek's firing arcs on its 2 main beams, only one can attack its target in a broadside engagement.  A more effective way to implement the battle would be to put the Sobek on a path that would keep it in the aft quarter of its target, thus always presenting that target with both beams.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here. If you want an Orion to attack 12 cruisers in some arbitrary order, you need to use the add-goal SEXP with varying appropriate goal priorities.

But this is a stupid idea. You should be using waypoints. That is what mission scripting is all about. If you can't make capital ships move and behave the way you want to with the tools offered, you need to learn how to FRED properly. I've scripted certain situations in Inferno's mission scripts where a ship will change its orientation using waypoints. It's easy.

Sid.