Author Topic: The big red 'you have damaged' flag  (Read 9993 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The big red 'you have damaged' effect
Indeed, and it would also be nice to have something like a Buzzer or something to sound when your shields have failed ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
oh yes :)

To add more 'your ships's going down' flair, how about making the HUD flicker around (like with EMP) when your hull drops below 15% permanently. You could add 2 levels:

15%-5% - flickers only a bit, you dont lose targetting etc

5%-0% flickers heavily, you cannot target properly anymore and theres some warning sign flashing :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Lightspeed
5%-0% flickers heavily, you cannot target properly anymore and theres some warning sign flashing :D

At 5% it'd be "Hope you've got an ejection seat, sucka!" :p
-C

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Oh boy that'd be great.  A FS2 Betty.  Instead of "maximum angle of attack, maximum angle of attack, maximum angle of attack" you'd have "afterburners full, afterburners empty, afterburners full, afterburners empty".  Or she could have personality "they are shooting at us, get out of the way idiot!" :D

Ok...on second though, computer voice cues should not have personality :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline RandomTiger

I've seen a really nice shader effect in the OGL section of NVIDIA effect SDK what would be great for a replacement effect.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
Flip: Um... if the screen is getting so red you can't see for long enough to actually impair anything, and you have anything even approaching a normal framerate, you're basically dead anyway, there's nothing you can do about it, and next time try avoiding getting dozens of hostiles firing on you at once.

If not, you seriously need to stop dicking around with the table files, having a quadrillion hit points doesn't enhance the game and there's really no reason the coders should waste their time accomodating something you personally need but no sane person or campaign maker would find desirable.

Ice: Sentient onboard AI?

Or you could just say a tech was ****ing around with the soundbox on your fighter, which explains why you can hear explosions in space and so on.

Lightspeed: Eh, why not go for realism? At 5% your hull's already got one or more major fissures in it, you've got at best a fast leak in the cockpit, and your brain's being sucked out your ears while your blood boils and (if, say, something bigger than a crack has formed) you simultaneously freeze and explode- blackout.:D

Actually, that brings to mind something I've been wanting to ***** about for a while, but wasn't sure whether it was SCP-relevant- the amount of times my or another fighter has been shot to hell, is on the very verge of death with hit points in the single digits or only slightly higher- and all the subsystems are going fine. The hell? The ship's probably literally being held together by a severely frayed cable at that point! In firing on it people must have hit on or near one subsystem or other, they should all be in as bad a shape as the ship overall. If I specifically target a subsystem and proceed to fire on the ship as normal (meaning, in my case, spraying shots more or less in the same compass direction as the target, and maybe ramming it once or twice for good measure), the system takes damage just fine. What gives- is this bad POF-editing, some wierd thing to do with the tables, or something the code could cover?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 02:49:08 am by 262 »

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the lower the hull drops the more subsystems should explode randomly :)

I don't think theres a leak in the cockpit though as you still live and can fly :D - But the HUD flicker would show off the crippled electronics ;7

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Damaged subsystems would actually take care of that, I think. Not entirely sure, though.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I'm all for that kind of stuff, but, wait, can you hear that sound? gee, it's getting louder!
Oh! that's the hordes of "It's not canon to FS2, don't change the original, superb mechanics behind the original Volition work, that would change FS2 too much!!! Changes are bad!!!"
F*ck them, when will we have some more realistic flight engines? :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Lightspeed
the lower the hull drops the more subsystems should explode randomly :)

I don't think theres a leak in the cockpit though as you still live and can fly :D - But the HUD flicker would show off the crippled electronics ;7

Wing commander 4 had a cool effect for that, you could see the impacts on your cockpit, made some kind of google effect around those spots, even :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
I don't think I've heard moaning about "canon" for a good long time. Which is good, my slapping hand does eventually get sore, and plane tickets are expensive.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
the HUD flicker actually even IS canon, as everyone has watched the FS1 intro :D

Hmmm, I have looked better now (I ran at 32 bits for a change, I thought I always did that...). And I did see it.
I might try and rig it out, when I can get the code that is.
Creator of Science Fiction Career
Completed: 0.2%
Site: click here

i hope you can find the CVS.

en welkom op het forum. :welcome:

i would indeed enjoy a *****in betty, perhaps it would be possible to make it using a SEXP that get's used everytime a certain fighter is put in a mission. i mean you define an automaticly included SEXP in the tbl.  

or am i rambling again?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
SEXP for something like that = bad. You'd have to code it for every mission, and it'd take up SEXP space, and possibly provide cause for confusion.

A toggle-able option in the options menu would probably be for the best.

i meant one defined from the table, and added automagicly. it could use existing code, and it can define all kinds of effects.

but, see da siggy.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Well, Phreak was looking at ideas for some kind of OpenGL effect, so it might be worth talking to him?

Woha!

Please note, I am a FS2 newbie with programming knowlidge!
And I started with OpenGL and DirectX a couple of months ago.
So first I will start looking into this SEXP thing (code wise mostly).
Well my first thing will be a command line option which will ignore this effect when hit. Just another command line and another bool, I think...

After that I will do a little private mod, to shut up my little brother.
But that will be a more like private mod. Unless others want it to that is.

And it is good to know that there are other Dutch people on the forum!

well, if you want to help to code, talk to Goober5000, he is the current leader of the coding team, and he could give you CVS write accces, and acces to the internal forum, allowing you to view comments by the other coders.

if you can read the code, but you don't feel ready to do large edits, you could help out by writing help docs, something the community is lacking in.

and any addition might be usefull, if it is bug-free and able to be shut off easily, it should help. but ask Goob, and read the siggy, i am another noob.

Ok, the CVS thing is giving me problems. Darn network!
I'll ask Goober5000.

Besides, what is this "masochism"? Never heard anything like it. Apart for Macho and Schizofrism.