Author Topic: Multiplayer Issue Unknown Problem  (Read 4428 times)

Multiplayer Issue Unknown Problem
I have been using FS2 Open for a while now but always run into a problem when trying to play multiplayer. When I launch the game using Launcher 5.5e and select a pilot the Flight Deck loads as it's supposed to, but when I click on the Ready Room to play multiplayer, the game shows the little window that says that it's trying to verify my account info and then it shows the error message: "An unknown error has occurred (probably a timeout) when trying to verify your account info." or something along those lines. Anyways I have tried everything including turning off Data Execution Prevention, and completely disabling my firewalls, (I re-enabled them after trying to solve the problem) I also forwarded every FS2 related port that I could find to my IP Address. I ran the debug build of 3.6.10 and attached the multi.log file.

I use Windows Vista 64 bit, Service Pack 2. When I'm not using the debug build I use the Final release of the 3.6.10 build. I mentioned it earlier but, I use the 5.5e Launcher. Yes, I do have a retail copy of the game, on CDs.

Can anyone help me? I would really like to play online. At this point I'll accept just about any help, because I've tried everything short of completely re-installing the entire... everything. Tell me if you need more information.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Re: Multiplayer Issue Unknown Problem
The debug log spews to freespace2\data\fs2_open.log
Could you throw that up somewhere (like pastebin?)

Basic things to check;
your account details are in the 'f2' button (-> multi tab) and that they match fs2netd's account you made (you haven't mentioned having made it, only reason I brought it up).
If you need it website is here; http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/

Also some things you could try is putting your IP address and the port you want to use into the launcher before you launch (doesn't always work but sometimes helps, fixed one of my problems in the past).

I'm sure some more experienced troubleshooters will turn up in a few, but yea, 3 things to check.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
One thing to do would be to find and delete any multi.cfg and fs2_open_pxo.cfg files.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I did create the appropriate account and checked to make sure that my account details in the game match those on the website. Also I inputted my IP Address into the field on the Launcher but I'm not sure what port I should enter (if any).
Thanks for the tip.

While I was typing The E posted a reply...
I have done that now. I removed the multi.cfg file and a fs2open_pxo.cfg file, I assume it is the one you were talking about even though you had an extra underscore.
It still doesn't work.

Also should the "/multidata" option in the Multi options tab be checked or not?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Whether you have checked that or not shouldn't make a difference. It just tells the engine where to put data downloaded while playing online (missions you don't have, player images etc)
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Ok got it.

Working now?
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

No, what I meant was that I did what the last post said I should do.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 09:12:06 pm by GameSlayerGS »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Also I inputted my IP Address into the field on the Launcher but I'm not sure what port I should enter (if any).

Ummmm. You probably don't want to be doing that. What IP address did you enter anyway?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

If you put your externally visable IP and the Port you forwarded in it, it occasionally cleans up both login and hosting problems (until I changed router I couldn't host unless my IP was in that box, doesn't seem to mind anymore though).

Certainly I shoulda made it clear the IP had to be your external one, I have no idea what would happen if you put a network IP in there :P

I entered my PC's direct IP address, the one that I always have to enter on other computers in order for the to connect to my computer to play LAN games. I too don't see a point in entering my routers IP. I don't know if this would help at all but whenever I try playing LAN games I have to enter my IP on all other computers that are going to be in the game, they can never detect any games that I'm hosting. Although my problem is with logging in to the online network not hosting games, the hosting games issue, I know, is caused by the security programs in Vista (oh, I want a Mac) I was just thinking that maybe my problem with online play may not be related to the game itself and that it might be related to some aspect of my security settings or some setting that needs to be changed. I should also say that I don't know a whole lot about how the game itself works. Btw I guess I wasn't that clear earlier about this, what port should I try putting in the field under where I put my IP address? Is it the 7808 one?

If you opened that port for FS yes, 7808, but the number is changable from your router.

The reason why you sometimes but not always need the IP number is because some modems/routers don't have proper NICs iirc.
I don't know the technical details :<

if it didn't fix it then it reasons it's not gonna help, as for Vista, with the firewall off and the UAC stuff off I can't imagine there being a problem, used the OS for ages myself it was lovely about it.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I entered my PC's direct IP address, the one that I always have to enter on other computers in order for the to connect to my computer to play LAN games.

That would probably be a 192.168.x.x type number. They're not visible from the internet, only on your internal LAN.

Go here and enter the number that page gives you if you haven't already.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I also remember some DSL lines back in the retail days wouldn't work unless you set it to dial-up.  Haven't heard of a case in quite awhile but it's always possible. 

Try disabling anti-virus software.  Some see FS2 as an internet worm and block it.  Norton used to do this to me all the time.  I'm not talking a suite with a firewall here but just anti virus itself.  Always possible other software could do the same.

Lastly you do have port 7117 udp and tcp open as well as 7808? 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I can only think of two uses for a box for an IP without knowing what it actually does.  Either it was for the default host you want to connect to, as if you were joining a game from a third party client like the Game finder and wanted to bypass the menu, or it works like the one in IL-2 and you tell it which interface in your pc you want it to bind to, in which case it would need to be the LAN IP.  Why would FSO ever need to know your external IP?  Shouldn't help or hurt NAT one way or the other.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Why would FSO ever need to know your external IP?  Shouldn't help or hurt NAT one way or the other.
It was added to get around a NAT related issue (well, a router related issue anyway).  I don't remember the exact circumstances however and as far as I know I never actually heard back as to whether it truly helped the people who complained about whatever that problem was (they did stop complaining though).  If things are done right by the router then the specified IP shouldn't make a bit of difference, but if the router is buggy then it was hoped to help.  In theory at least, probably pointless though.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Maybe not, QD verified that it seems it's the only way he could play.  So I guess don't axe it anytime soon.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on in a while but, I was very busy with school. Anyways, I tried everything that was mentioned except trying to play using the "Dialup Networking" setting under the "Network" tab. When I tryed that it said that I had to connect to my ISP before I could play, but I actually use "LAN/Direct Connection" so... I understand the reason for that message.
I said before that I don't know a whole lot about the game itself but, I still think that it could be a problem with something outside of my game and I couldn't find anything in my security software or the software that is included with Windows (Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, etc.) so I'm all out of ideas. Can you guys think of anything?