Author Topic: "surface shields", and TBMs  (Read 1795 times)

"surface shields", and TBMs
Can something like this be implemented ?:

The "surface shields" Flag works excellent, but would be possible to assing the ShieldHit every time a shoot hits the Ship Model, it seems that if you don't have the Shield Mesh the ShieldHit is ignored, after all the ShieldHit ANI is like a momentary Decal.......?

-------------------------------------

The other feature is for the ships TBM, and Limit problems with maximum number of ships, I see there is +nocreate Flag that modifies the entry, the non-specified one which creates the entry. But wouldn't be possible to use something like +delete Flag to delete Entries ?. Where this would be helpful, an example:

Inferno MODs, specifically, for example I want to add a MOD to INFERNO (S:AH), add a few ships, which can be done through TBM, so changes are only specific....but as I add models the Ship Limit in the TBM will broke (INF R1 is really near the limit of allowed ship entries).

So, that way we could fastly get rid of the Ship that are unused by the MOD, or Sub-MOD in this case, without the need of doing a Full TBL all over again, with repited data, that mess the data of the TBL.

In a little summary, that way the INF R1 Ship.TBL will remain the same (like a universal SHIP.TBL), while the sub-MODS, could be get adapted only using TBMs.......which would make a lot of times easier to know the specific changes in the MOD and if that is impleted the deleted or non-used data. That could make an Update in INF or in a MOD, be applied really easier to the Sub-Mod, without the need of searching into a full TBL, which contains 80% the same data as the main MOD.

(yes, probabily that explanation is truly confusing.....right?.....then, it's not a real explanation)

------------------------------------------------

Thanks...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 11:55:01 pm by Shadow0000 »

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Re: "surface shields", and TBMs
The "surface shields" Flag works excellent, but would be possible to assing the ShieldHit every time a shoot hits the Ship Model, it seems that if you don't have the Shield Mesh the ShieldHit is ignored, after all the ShieldHit ANI is like a momentary Decal.......?

I can only second that  :nod:  How is the current status of this feature ? Didn't bobboau once said he is trying to add the shieldhit effect to this ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
he did, but bobboau sightings are few and far between theese days. :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bri_Dog

Is there an options for shield flares on the hull when a weapon hits?
Sig

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Nope, and I personally don't think it's as likely as everyone would like to think.  The shield mesh has extra data that makes rendering the impact effects on it easier, and other than the (very slow) decal code, a similar adjacency list does not exist for actual hull geometry to my knowledge.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
It has been some time since I tried surface shields the last time, but AFAIK my problem wasn't so much the missing shieldeffect ani (though it still plays a shield hit sound), but the problem was more that the weapon-impact produces those small hardcoded debris-pieces. If at least these could be skipped as long as the shield quadrant is active, it would be a step into the right direction
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it probibly wouldnt be to hard to render something like an $impact explosion: ani. something like a $shield impact: ani. the ani is shown if the weapon hits a ship with charged surface shields. i dont see that one being difficult at all.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline CaptJosh

This sounds like a potential way to create the feel of the polarized hull plating that the Enterprise NX-01 had.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.