Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305118 times)

Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Looking for a recommendation. I'd like to watch a good mecha anime, preferably without the robots flying all over the place, I like 'em stompy and lumbering.

I know for a fact it's been mentioned here before, but if you missed it somehow: Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team

Offline Buckshee Rounds

• Lord Defecator
Awesome, thanks for the reply. I've not seen gunbuster and I love gainax so I'll give that a shot first. Probably end up watching all three!

Can't get more stompy and lumbering than Dai-Guard...

A super robot... running on real robot physics... built by the lowest bidder.

Hey, at least it has the honour of having the best rocket punch of any mech ever.

Giant Robo (The animation) is fairly stompy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 06:27:17 pm by Mongoose »
Find me as Hojo Norem elsewhere...

butter_pat_head... a name picked in sheer desperation more than 10 years ago from some super obscure Red Dwarf reference.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The original Pacific Rim is straight-up live-action mecha, and it's about as big and stompy as things get. :D

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
Steven Universe dropped quite a nuke, in hindsight it’s been foreshadowed and I suspected something was up with Pearl compulsively shutting her own mouth with her hands a couple of times when she was apparently trying to explain something to Steven, just not that kind of something.  :eek2:

And of course after this another hiatus, the promo said “summer” which may mean anything from the end of June to September to know what the fallout of the metaphorical nuke in question will look like.
And I thought live action TV was bad in that regard.   :rolleyes:
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

It's a shame they already leaked the plot of the Season Finale. Thanks to CN's incompetence.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
I am making good on my word to see the new LOTGH.

It's....average. Not offensively so, but perhaps disappointingly so.

Schoenkopf being a litteral pretty head pisses me off though. Where's my bear-like craggy-face berserker?

Also, Buwford needs a few more pounds, methinks.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Schoenkopf being a litteral pretty head pisses me off though. Where's my bear-like craggy-face berserker?

Whaaaaaaaat!?

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
It's a shame they already leaked the plot of the Season Finale. Thanks to CN's incompetence.
Fortunately I had read of the leaks on TVtropes while first binging the show so I make sure not to follow CN twitter and I am careful in never clicking on Steven Universe opinion videos on youtube (besides they seem to wallow in negativity, at least the ones I get in my recommendations), the people posting clips before I am able to get the episodes are bad enough, at least they didn't give away the twist this time.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

See, I want to like Steven Universe. I liked it when I first saw it. But now I only really watch or read about the important story episodes.

I generally skip any episode that has Lars or Lapis as a large role now too.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
See, I want to like Steven Universe. I liked it when I first saw it. But now I only really watch or read about the important story episodes.

I generally skip any episode that has Lars or Lapis as a large role now too.

I never quite understood skipping episodes of a TV series, usually when things get on my nerves I stop watching altogether (like it happened with Fringe and Smallville at the time).
Besides, Lars got better since he got the responsibility of the Off Colors and the latest Lapis episode is basically part one of the Big Reveal.

Offline Enioch

Whaaaaaaaat!?

Inorite.

I had been warned, but I had to experience this heresy for myself.

On another topic, the anime trend of 'combine awkwardly cute girl(s) with military hardware' continues with "How to Transform your Dragon".

I have no idea how to feel about this. On the one hand, the premise is utterly ridiculous. On the other hand, it has made me laugh. And it is....surprisingly deep.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 11:54:22 am by Enioch »

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
We'll see how they do the axe murdering next episode.  I'll withhold my judgement until that time.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Enioch

@Turambar: if your comment about axe murdering was about LotGH, I am mortified to report that there was no axe murdering. Only Schoenkopf holding a gun to the fortress commander's head.

I am flabberghasted. Literally the most memorable thing about the Rosen-Ritter (their utter magnificent bastardery, brutality in melee and innovative tactics) is missing, replaced by their commander and three others somehow bluffing their way into the command centre of an impregnable fortress and threatening to shoot the commander.

Not to mention that the most out-of-battle character development the new Schoenkopf gets is inappropriately hitting on Greehill and being mysteriously cryptic about the possibility of betraying Wen-Li. God ****ing dammit, they've turned him into a bishonen Ermolai.

I am disappoint.

So, I picked up Steven Universe a week or two ago. I initially just wanted something nice to watch while eating, but I've actually powered through most of it by now, and I think it's pretty good. The ten minutes format means that there's little padding, while spending enough time on plot, action, heart and comedy without leaving the viewer overwhelmed. Even the "life lesson" type episodes found in every children show work well since they tend to get straight to the point. Very nicely done, it gets my seal of approval.

Also, could we sticky that thread ?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Better call Saul. ..
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I have been recovering Adventure Time.
The "deranged D&D session" description I have been reading for the feel of the series is rather apt for the first two/three seasons then it starts to actually do stuff with its characters and world often leading to some interesting stuff.
It helps that the more interesting secondary character start to get more focus than the main protagonists, at the moment I am at more or less half of season 7 and the first half focusing on Princess Bubblegum and Marceline the Vampire Queen was one of the best parts of the series, IMHO.

So, I picked up Steven Universe a week or two ago. I initially just wanted something nice to watch while eating, but I've actually powered through most of it by now, and I think it's pretty good. The ten minutes format means that there's little padding, while spending enough time on plot, action, heart and comedy without leaving the viewer overwhelmed. Even the "life lesson" type episodes found in every children show work well since they tend to get straight to the point. Very nicely done, it gets my seal of approval.

Also, could we sticky that thread ?

I guess you haven't caught up with the latest season yet?

I've just started watching season 5 this week, but didn't get very far (I got sidetracked by DotA 2's TI8). I should have finished catching up by the end of the month.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. I've not seen gunbuster and I love gainax so I'll give that a shot first. Probably end up watching all three!

Dude, DUDE.

Armored Trooper VOTOMS and its OVAs are the hardest and the dirtiest of the real robot genre.

Do you like big battles with clearly defined rules (ammo consumption, armor piercing, tactical consideration)?
An entertaining ensemble without teenage whining?
John Rambo in the mecha genre?
Practically ZERO stock footage?

Then start with the TV show, you can thank me later.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I've just started watching season 5 this week, but didn't get very far (I got sidetracked by DotA 2's TI8). I should have finished catching up by the end of the month.

Just to be clear: until you catch up do not look anything up on the internet about the series, even unrelated stuff about the first episodes of the series might have someone spoiling stuff in the comments.