Author Topic: Interface Art "Themes"  (Read 2266 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Interface Art "Themes"
Feature request here. May be useful for FOTG and campaigns that have branches or loops.

We can change the Main Hall in the middle of the campaign as a retail feature, and we can specify mission loading screens. We also have control over music and HUDs. But could we implement changing the interface as a whole, too? For example, you have a campaign where the player defects to the NTF halfway through, and moves from a Hecate to an Orion. Switch the interface from green and gold with GTVA logos to blue and gold with NTF logos, and use FS1-style briefing icons. The swap could specify a new default ship-select/weapon-select animation style if it's not already set by the tables.

Maybe have alternate versions of interface elements with a suffix, like 2_briefing-ntf, in a similar way to how we swap ship textures. Set the interface in the campaign file in the same way we change main halls, and it uses the alternate if present or the original if not.

I know there's not a lot of love for the interface code, but how doable is this, roughly? Both Vasudan Imperium and Scroll of Atankharzim would hugely benefit.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Interface Art "Themes"
...Ooof. I can imagine some spots where code can be reused, but my gut instinct is that this would be a lot of effort. Maybe someone with more experience with that part of the codebase will correct me, though.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
The closest I can think that we have at the moment is per-mission briefing screens, but that won't change the interface, just the background. From what I've seen of trying to create custom interfaces (thousands of little pics) it seems like this would be a lot of work.  There's not much re-use of interface screen elements in FSO which means lots and lots of places to add code to allow switching of the thousands of different elements.

Still, I think that Yarn probably knows the most about the interface code, so his opinion would be the best one to have.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
The idea would be that there is already a completely new set of interface graphics that could be used in place of the existing ones. They don't necessarily need to be all listed in a table; but the engine is directed to replace INTERFACE_FILENAME with INTERFACE_FILENAME-MOD if present, ELSE use FILENAME.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I know The_E was once working on something like this on a per campaign basis... perhaps see what he has finished?
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not much. Haven't had much mental energy left to spend on this these past few weeks, unfortunately.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Maybe have alternate versions of interface elements with a suffix, like 2_briefing-ntf, in a similar way to how we swap ship textures. Set the interface in the campaign file in the same way we change main halls, and it uses the alternate if present or the original if not.

Just for the record, I think the alternates should really really really be in a different directory altogether; for example either interface/ntf/2_briefing or interface-ntf/2_briefing. Stuffing them all in the same interface directory would be madness that can easily be avoided.

P.S. PR #449 does something reasonably similar. Maybe helpful, maybe not.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, the way I planned on doing it was with a separate directory that all interface files would be loaded from.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
That sounds much better!

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
What about interface with differing aspect ratios? What about resizing or scaling?
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Feel free to come up with a design for them.