Author Topic: Constant PC reboots....  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Skullar

Constant PC reboots....
Hello folks.

Anyone some expertise on strange errors ?

My computer slowly but gradually develloped the habit of just rebooting for no obvious reason.
There is no bluescreen,
The event viewer just shows Kernel Power ID 41 (63) - unexpected restart and task 63 - with no bugcheck code and no timestamp.

I replaced the power suppy, the problem seems to persist, has to be something else.
I cleaned the interior of the PC and removed the dust.
I monitored temperatures, doesnt seem to be a problem with overheating.

Any ideas except buying a new PC or seeking out experts ( which will surely cost just as much ) ?
thx

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Re: Constant PC reboots....
Just a shot in the dark, but free to try - if you have more than one stick of RAM, try removing one, and then the other. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
On that note, running a ram test over multiple hours is a good idea.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Skullar

Thx so far people :)

I got 2 Corsair Rams with 8gb each.

Removed one. Problem persists.
Removed the other... problem persists.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Googling that error message, I found suggestions to turn off "fast start up", and to create a new power plan.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware-winpc/solved-false-kernel-power-event-id-41-63-reported/58170773-6dde-4c00-9bbe-dd8af77d5445

Another one said changing his surge protector fixed it for him.

This MS support link has a few more things to check: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2028504/windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-clean

Offline ThePoliteTerroristCow

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
    • Steam
More often than not its hardware related (which usually means troubleshooting things piece by piece), but I've also seen it be the fault of a bad Windows updates which are a headache to try to fix. Some more details on your rig would go a long ways to helping as well (if on Windows then run 'dxdiag' or pull some stuff from 'System Information' and it'll spit out some stuff). Also keep in mind if you have a prebuilt machine then you should try to find the your pc's model number (dxdiag will sometimes display it under 'System-->System Model') and search to see if the company that made it has any important updates, chiefly BIOS updates. It wont likely fix the problem but it may mitigate potential future issues. In the meantime, I'm going to presume you're on W10 and list a few things that are worth trying:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 08:25:19 am by ThePoliteTerroristCow »

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Nice guide!

A timely article form techsopt this morning:  https://www.techspot.com/article/1671-windows-reset-keep-your-files/.
This is a low-yield nuclear option - you get to keep your files, but you have to re-install your programs.  Personally, I would back up all my files anyway before trying something like this, and then at that point I might as well do a clean install of windows.

Offline Skullar

Just revisited Hard Light out of nostalgic reasons.

Back then I bought a new computer because I was sick of that machine, but after half a year I tried to fix that one to give it to my sister.

After eliminating software reasons I brought this piece of **** to a local PC shop for disassembly and testing.

In the end, it turned out that the motherboard itself was simply broken. After buying a new one ( including new processor and compatible RAM ) the rest of the hardware functioned normally again.
Thanks for the help you all tried to give me back then :)

Ah, the motherboard... When every other problem has been eliminated, that's always the cause, lol