Author Topic: Major Stuttering at Specific Times  (Read 1723 times)

Major Stuttering at Specific Times
I am experiencing severe stuttering in any campaign I try to play. The stutter occurs whenever there is a radio message or generally when anything scripted occurs. Ive tried lowering all my settings and making sure I have the latest video drivers installed but that doesnt seem to be the issue. Is there a solution for this?

Offline wookieejedi

• Intensify Forward Firepower
Re: Major Stuttering at Specific Times
I've noticed this too, and it's been happening for a long time. Not entirely sure what the cause is, as I can't really reproduce when it happens. A good example of what it looks like is in the first 10 seconds of this video:

https://youtu.be/ler20EdjAfs?t=4
« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 06:45:35 pm by wookieejedi »

Offline AV8R

Hmmm, your original post may have given it away - "The stutter occurs whenever there is a radio message".

Go into the HUD settings and turn off the video feed during communications (the talking head). You'll still hear the messages you need to hear - just without the command/pilot pictures.

9 times out of 10 this will solve any gameplay stuttering during missions. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that the video messages play at a different frame rate than the game itself and causes some video cards consternation in the process (some handle the difference gracefully, others, no so much).

Give it a go and see how it works. I shut my video feed off ages ago and don't miss it a bit - and have never had stuttering issues since (and besides, the video feed can actually get in the way of your combat view sometimes).

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Also, if you'd want to improve message readability you could use Axem's 2_HUD with the message script: https://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=91197.0. I think the only thing you need to do is to unpack the archive and grab the .vp file and throw it into your MediaVPs directory.

This moves the message box closer to the center, while the recent history of a couple previous message lines is in the place messages used to be.

Freespace also lets you see the message log, press F4 ingame and choose "Messages" to see it.

This HUD modification could have some strange effects in mods which also extensively modify their HUDs so in case of trouble you could just remove the 2_HUD file.
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Go into the HUD settings and turn off the video feed during communications (the talking head). You'll still hear the messages you need to hear - just without the command/pilot pictures.
Yeah this fixed half of the problem. Radio messages dont cause stutter anymore, but scripted sequences still do. Anytime a big ship jumps in or something like that the game pauses for a moment.

That's somewhat normal, the first time a new ship appears the game is loading textures for it. This seems to go much smoother on replays when all the textures are cached. Or maybe it's compiling shaders that again don't need to be recompiled on replays.
Depending on your hardware power the game might just drop a few frames or go into a multi-second long freeze.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That's somewhat normal, the first time a new ship appears the game is loading textures for it. This seems to go much smoother on replays when all the textures are cached. Or maybe it's compiling shaders that again don't need to be recompiled on replays.
Depending on your hardware power the game might just drop a few frames or go into a multi-second long freeze.

I remember that this went away when the SCP was offering AVX2 builds.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
AMD (I believe) graphics cards also take a hit because there is poor opengl support.

Mine is an older nvidia card GTX 670. Also how can it be loading textures, this happens with completely unmodded FSport, no mediavps whatsoever.