Author Topic: Post old FSOpen/FSPort bugs here  (Read 17183 times)

Post old FSOpen/FSPort bugs here
Ive got a problem too. When i FS2 is trying to load the 5. mission i get a CTD without any error message. Same in Silent Threat, but a bit earlier, already in the third mission there.
Im using 3.6.6 media vp's and Goobs 28.7.-build, any tips?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 03:17:09 pm by Goober5000 »
Planet-Fiction.de - your Resource for SciFi-Games!

Post FSOpen/FSPort bugs here!
Anybody? Goob?:nervous: ;)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I shouldn't post this here since I'm not staff, but I do have a question for you Vulture.  Once it crashes out, can you still get in to old missions in the techroom's campaign missions section, or do you have to restart the campaign?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

No, i dont have to restart the campaign. All previous missions are available in the techroom's mission simulator and i can start and play them from there. Why do you ask?

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Because I'm running into a pilot corruption issue in recent builds, but I've been known to have... unique problems.  Just wondering, really.  What you're describing sounds like the mv_music bugs of forever.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Well i know that there are sometimes bugs with this SCP-file, thats why i dont use it. So there must be another solution.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Hi, I've tried to make the FS1 training missions work w/ FS Open 3.6.7, CVS 11/7/05.  I changed the extention to FS2, and missions 1 and 3 seem to work, and I've got the voice files working by extracting the /data/voice/training to c:\games\Freespace2\MODs\FSPort23\data\voice\training.  I was able to get the Interceptor working by removing "#weak" from mission 5, but I've got a quite a few more quirks.  Is there anyplace where I can find a listing of the different FRED/FRED 2/FRED 2 Open operators, or better yet, a list of changes from the old versions, listing incompatibilities?  I'm pretty sure it's just invalid syntax causing the problems.
Or should I wait for the next Port version?
Or, better yet, does someone already have a working ported version that I can download?

Thanks

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You don't really need the FS1 training missions.  The FS2 ones cover the same ground.  That's why we didn't include them.

There isn't a specific list of differences between FS1 and FS2 missions, but you can read about "CONVERTING FSMS" in this thread:
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,21095.0.html

Alternatively, use FRED_OPEN to import FS1 missions into FS2.  Be warned that the import function isn't optimized and takes a long time (several minutes or more).

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
I was able to get the Interceptor working by removing "#weak" from mission 5
Yea, thing just is the standard I-ceptor does far too much damage for the mission to work with that armament. Further, I think that the 'Special-check" S-EXP returning value 11 fails with any other missile. I haven't verified this, tho.
Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Capturing the Taranis problem
i am stuck on the mission were you have to capture the Taranis, for some reason the cain has no subsystems and no turrets! did you's use a different model for that level? because when i created a few test missions using the port tbls and stuff with a cain class cruiser the turrets and subsystems are all there and work normally weird or wot? i have tried creating a new pilot but get the same problem so i tried a re-install of FS2 but unfortunately my disk 1 is corrupt so i cannot re-install it until i get a replacement disk in 2wks, typical the only disk i keep in mint condintion and is scratch free is knackered and other disks that are scratched work Grrrr (sorry). i am using the FSopen 3.6.7 and the latest media files.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Re: Capturing the Taranis problem
first, stop murdering punctuation. :p

second, try reinstalling the port, and don't skip any downloads that aren't dead.

either that or it's a mission bug. *shrugs* i've never had this problem.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Sometimes (not very often) you'll target a capital craft and it won't also target a specific subsystem at the same time. Now, if you tried hitting K or S and still nothing happened, then there's something very wrong.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
At cobra
what do you mean by don't skip any downloads that arent dead? I cant re-install the port until i get a new copy of Freespace 2, i have to wait for 2 weeks for delivery.

At ngtm1r
Pressing K and S don't work either, i don't have a clue. It didn't happen on any other level from what i can remember, it just seems to be that one.

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
This is a specific FSOpen bug that's been reported a few times. Nobody seems to have any idea what triggers it, though it seems to happen most often with the Cain/Lilith model.

I think you just have to exit FS2 and replay the mission. It's a very mysterious bug. Try playing with an earlier or a  debug build, maybe.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
thanks Galemp i'll give it a try when i get my new copy of FS2

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hi, I was just flying the FSPort mission where you have to scan the defense turrets, and then they turn out to have been sabotaged by HOL.  The mission crashes and says that it's having an error because "parsed filename" yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy{...} is more than 27 characters, after you've destroyed most of the first wave of HOL bombers, and the other type of bomber (I can get the name if you want) warps in.  I thought maybe I had a corrupt VP file, but I tested them for CRC errors before unzipping, and I looked through all the FSPort, FS2, & FS2 Open VPs installed with VPVIEW32, and none of them have such a file.  I ran debug, and first got an error about certain POFs requiring detail level 5 when it was set to 4 (but that's all that it will let you set it at, even though my system can take more).  On the mission crash, it gave another error about something (Maybe page fault?...I can't remember it, and although I saved the debug spew, I forgot to bring it with me; I can get them later if you want).  I'm using FSPort 2.3, w/ MVP 3.6.7 (Patch 2 installed, Patch 1 incorporated into models VP) and CVS build 11-7-5.  (I also tried w/CVS 11-1-5, and got the same thing)
I was wondering if what kind of error this is, and where should I look to fix it? 
PS Sorry about not bringing the debug with me, I just forgot to save on my flash disk b4  going to the Internet terminal.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
:wtf: I have no idea, but that's definitely on the SCP's plate. Try the latest official build instead of a new CVS.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I ran debug, and first got an error about certain POFs requiring detail level 5 when it was set to 4 (but that's all that it will let you set it at, even though my system can take more).
That'll be for the Hi-Poly Herc.  It has 5 LODs.  If you know how to table edit, just add another higher distance figure for the LODS and resave.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
to Galemp: Thanks.  I though maybe it was a problem with my FSPort VPs.  I posted the problem at FSOpen's Forum.
to Trivial Psychic:
That'll be for the Hi-Poly Herc.  It has 5 LODs.  If you know how to table edit, just add another higher distance figure for the LODS and resave.
  Add a highter distance LOD?  I don't understand.  I thought the problem was the detail was too low.  Do you mean change the LOD to 4 to match the detail setting?  Also, it wasn't just the Herc.  There were a few others, too.  If you want, they're listed in one of the smaller text files I uploaded for the bug report I posted on FSOpen: http://www.geocities.com/joshuap_richards/thetombaughattack.zip
Thanks

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
For the Herc, the code is detecting 5 lods on the model, but only 4 LOD distance entries in its table entry.  The solution is to add a 5th distance figure in the table.  Open up the ships.tbl file and scroll down to the Herc.  There is a line just below where the model file is listed.  It should look something like this:

$Detail distance: (0, 80, 300, 900)

Replace it with this:

$Detail distance: (0, 80, 300, 900, 1200)

That should solve that particular issue.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!