Author Topic: Basic mission tutorial completed!  (Read 8746 times)

Offline Nuclear1

Basic mission tutorial completed!
Good job in destroying the convoy alpha wing! The less suply's the Shivans get the better. We also got word from command that we have won 90 percent of the engagements comensed in the system. Also in a few hours command is going to brief the Terran/Vasudan commanders on the new operation ment to clear out the Vega system of all Shivans.

Sorry, couldn't resist. See if this is better:

Good job destroying the convoy, Alpha! The fewer supplies the Shivans have the better. We also recieved word from Command that Allied forces have won 90 pervent of all engagements commenced in-system. In a few hours, Command is going to brief the Terran/Vasudan commanders on the new operation in which Vega will be cleared of Shivans.

Anyway, great work on the tutorial. As Sesqui says, it's simplex, but gives the general feel for FREDding.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by Tiara
Don't mind me but... how can FRED be advanced? The only thing that really needs to be advanced is your creative skills. FRED is ub3r easy :p

yeah....after i finished the main campegihn i went straight to figuring out FRED.......
it took me 4 hours to get it all down...

ofc i dont FRED anymore cuz 1. my missions ideas we A. already taken B. sucked And 2. FRED crashes alot.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Originally posted by nuclear1

Sorry, couldn't resist. See if this is better:

Anyway, great work on the tutorial. As Sesqui says, it's simplex, but gives the general feel for FREDding.

I am glad you did correct it:D

Yup, i was aiming for that. So people can get started.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
This is fubared the damn server won't boot. Meh, need more time to see whats wrong.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I would see it but the server is currently non-existent..anyhow like Sid said the help included is pretty good for beginners, but if you made an advanced one that would be pretty helpful to the community :nod:

oh and heres a nice quote I actually got from a lot of places..:rolleyes:
if it doesn't work on paper it won't work when you code it

lets convert this
if you don't write your plan on paper it will take 10x the amount of time to develop it :p

this all means; map out your mission before going into FRED2
« Last Edit: July 28, 2003, 03:17:54 am by 325 »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by Max
......if it doesn't work on paper it won't work when you code it

lets convert this
if you don't write your plan on paper it will take 10x the amount of time to develop it :p

This is not always true in the case of FREDing, it is not necessarly important to plan a mission on paper before, it is sufficent to have it in mind, or at most if you're planning a camp, you write down which mission is about what, what's its importance in the story etc.

In case of a single mission(even multi mission), it is sometimes enough to start FRED, see the ship list, you see: SD Demon, and this comes to your mind: Let's simulate a Vasudan attack on a Demon in this mission. Placing ships, test, test - Difficulty OK, adding events, goals, background etc.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
I have to admit your totally right there TopAce :p

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Max
I have to admit your totally right there TopAce :p

Thank you :)

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline pyro-manic

• FlambĂ©
Yay for Darkage! :D

Great work. Good for easing someone into FRED without chucking all the fiddly crap at them in the first five minutes. :yes: :yes: :yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by pyro-manic
Yay for Darkage! :D

Great work. Good for easing someone into FRED without chucking all the fiddly crap at them in the first five minutes. :yes: :yes: :yes:

This is really one of the bests about 'how to get started', and it doesn't take functions lesson by lesson in a different mission, it explains and examples a single mission.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Well the server is up and running again after a long down time. Sorry for that. And thanks for all the comments people;)
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline magatsu1

Hi all!
I think FRED with it SEXP type coding is the best editor i've used
(much better than the nasty Operation: Flashpoint kit)
The tutorial was/is excellent too.:)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about