Author Topic: Blue screening on the briefing page.  (Read 1938 times)

Blue screening on the briefing page.
I'm playing through Freespace at the moment (Freespace port currently) and have had a BSOD problem.

It's the "portcls.sys" BSOD and it only happens on the briefing page(s) at random (it's like a timebomb everytime you start a mission!) and only in this game.
I have: 
Updated my creative X-fi TI pci-e drivers, disabled all extra driver features, Reinstalled OpenAL, MD5'd all the VPs and reinstalled them.  The only way to fix it is to switch to software audio mode in the launcher which stops the crash at the cost of reduced sound quality.

The games still playable like this but I was just asking to see if it's a known problem and if theirs a fix?
 :)

Offline Yarn

Re: Blue screening on the briefing page.
A few things to try:

• Make sure you have the sound card set to Game Mode.
  • If you're using Windows XP or earlier and you're trying to use Generic Hardware for sound output, try using the option that is simply the sound card name (not any of the "Generic" options).

If none of that works, then post your debug log. (In this case, do not enter a mission; quit the game from the pilot section screen or the main hall instead.) Also give us some information about your system, such as your operating system and computer model.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Try OpenAL Soft.

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
--> openal-soft-1.15.1-bin.zip

From the zip, extract Win32\soft_oal.dll to your FS2 directory and rename it to OpenAL32.dll.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
For the record: No, this is not a known problem, and given that it's happening inside the audio driver, not really fixable from our end.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Try OpenAL Soft.

http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
--> openal-soft-1.15.1-bin.zip

From the zip, extract Win32\soft_oal.dll to your FS2 directory and rename it to OpenAL32.dll.

This seems to be working thanks!