Author Topic: Multi-missions for TBP  (Read 2642 times)

Offline Fergus

Multi-missions for TBP
Now I should have another gap of free time, as my FA mission is near(ish) completion I would like to get on something else.  I just tried TBP multi with a mate of mine, he'd never played it before and died horrible.  So what I plan to do is knock up a few missions, nothing terribly fancy just 3/4 missions.  So basically I'm taking requests.  I was also going to try updateing some of the older R1 and R2 missions but I'll take a closer look at them when I have the time.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
I'd like to see some 'slightly' story-based missions.

Like one team has to defend a cruiser from the other teams attack. Nothing too complex, but a bit more than just shot each other. Perhaps even a mission with more than one goal.

I'm still waiting for someone to work on this, but I think this is far more complex than you would liek it to be. :)
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,32296.0.html
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Having a basic story premise supporting a mission is a very good idea indeed. It gives the mission a more authentic atmosphere and a point. Preventing it from feeling... erm... pointless ;). There's a whole load of conflicts in the B5 timeline you can take inspiration from. Personally I'd like to see something from the Narn Centauri war like the battle scene at the start of Acts of Sacrifice.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Yeah, great idea. Some Narn Centauri war mutli missions would be great.

There wasn't  much Narn action in the packs up till now. ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fergus

Well, itty bitty problem there in that I've never seen Babylon 5, I'll have a look around for some kind of history to the whole..thing (From what I gather it's rather complicated), but yes the missions I was planning to construct would be loosely linked together.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by Fergus
Well, itty bitty problem there in that I've never seen Babylon 5,

It's probably worth doing something about that. It's still an astounding show. The DVD box sets are dirt cheap now. 17 ukp a series here in the UK. Great value for money.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline -Norbert-

Since in multiplayer, the situation for both teams should be balanced, the EA civil war comes to my mind.
And from the story point of view those should be easier for someone who hasn't yet seen Babylon 5.
Or did you mean coop missions?

Offline Fergus

Anything really, I'll be starting them next week and I'd just like to get an idea what type of missions you're all after.

Offline Fergus

Okay, I have a come up with a problem that I expected but decided to ignore (always helps) until now.  Anyway, I don't know if this is the right place to put it but it would seem silly making a new thread.
Here it is: I have played very little mutliplayer and coupled with my normal FS2 assumptions (fighters can get hit more than 4 times) it's beginning to become a nightmare to balance it on paper.  How many players per enemy ships?  Do I take the assumption that the other players are better/worse/same skill as me, balancing has always been my biggest problem (that and getting the time).  This is the first time I've done multi, and so far I've only started on a pair of co-op missions..probably wiser to do the Team v Team mission..but I'm hardly organised.

Offline -Norbert-

I have no experiance in making multi-player missions at all, but I have played a lot of them, so I might be of some little assistance.
For a start you could make the mission  challenging for your own skill on medium difficult. If you did something wrong, the players have 2 difficulties in both directions then to adapt it to their own abilities.
This gives you enough time to rebalance it, should the feetback of those who played it, indicate it necessary.

Offline Napier

Hello all. Sorry to cut in, but this is only multi related topic here.
To make it short:
Squadron 303 has TBP-multi division. We flown plenty, made some dogfight and tvt missions, and went on chasing eachother in Starfurys ect.
After initial popularity, we got to the piont where lack of most important part, that is more ppl to fly with and against, is about to send those who still fly elsewhere.
How manny here still plays multi, and how can we set-up some games?
Plz let us know here or at
http://www.freespace.pl/forum/viewforum.php?f=37&sid=74484f1fb7ef07e80b0957d7539b9e82
THX