Author Topic: Post-server move issues  (Read 24755 times)

Re: Post-server move issues
It turns out rev_posix used a nonstandard forum migration procedure (copy+paste, instead of install and import).  I'm going to look into this.

You had one job!
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

The little orange "jump to first unread post" in the thread just jumps to the first unread post from before the move, it's not updating.

So that's what's going on. Explains a lot. Good catch.
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
The little orange "jump to first unread post" in the thread just jumps to the first unread post from before the move, it's not updating.
It's not just "new post" buttons, and it's not the first unread post from before the move, either.
Links to specific posts aren't working; it always takes you to the first post on that page.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
diaspora.hard-light.net is back to the old, pre-redesign website.

Thanks for that. I'll see about getting it fixed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline ngld

• Administrator
  • Knossos dev
The [size] tag doesn't seem to work. No matter what number I put there, the resulting text is always 5pt.
The textarea for posting can't be resized with the bar at the bottom (the builtin resizing of Firefox and Chrome still works).

EDIT: Is there anything we can do to help?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 01:29:02 pm by ngld »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
EDIT: Is there anything we can do to help?

Possibly.  Catch me on IRC or Discord.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I've figured out the hosted website issues.  All of the hosted websites dated from our earlier backup on July 30, 2016.  The current backups are available but I have to restore them manually for each website.  The diaspora, fsport, and scroll websites have been brought up to date.  (Although scroll is redirecting to the main page for reasons I don't understand at the moment.)

I will eventually make my way through each website, but feel free to squawk and I'll put yours at the top of the queue.

Also, if you need FTP access to your mod, let me know and I'll enable your account.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I'm just about ready to pay cash money if someone will prioritize fixing the Quick Reply box.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
The tabs on the top of the site desperately need updating and pruning. Several dead links in the External sites part, and I guess the hosted projects part is a work in progress? Cause if it's not...
Mantis is barely used anymore by the SCP, since most of it seems to have transferred to git, yet there is no link to git in there.

Register at http://www.hard-light.net/users/ for a website account. Those accounts belonging to responsible and identifiable forumites (i.e. use your forum email address) may be granted access to modify stuff belonging to the mainpage. :)

Seems like we lost an whole set of CSS files among other things.. Sandwich, what did you do?

Nada. I haven't been involved in the move at all, besides preparing the new website. I'll gladly look into the missing CSS once I'm told that things shouldn't be broken anymore but still are for some reason. ;) In the meantime... KCCO. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Can't seem to upload a new avatar, there's a message says the attachments directory isn't writable, or something.

P.S. Keep up the good work getting the site up and running 100% again, and thanks to all the staff for looking out for the future.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Is fs2netd.game-warden.com part of this move as well?  It's been down since last week.  I've been distracted by a funeral last week and just now am catching up on the fact that there even was a server move.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
http://wingsofdawn.hard-light.net/ there used to be a page of mine here. Now it just shows a half working version of the main page.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

why is the quick reply box approximately as wide as the bayeaux tapestry
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline CT27

Are the pictures of "highlight" projects (and the pictures are links to the appropriate threads) going to return to the top of the page like they were before this move?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The Google Plus page is out of date (2013) - OT, I know.  Should I start another thread?  I only realized cause I was poking around the new site and it's linked there.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm just about ready to pay cash money if someone will prioritize fixing the Quick Reply box.

I'm going to do a forum reinstallation either today or tomorrow, just like I did with the wiki.  That should fix all the formatting and bookmarking issues.

Is fs2netd.game-warden.com part of this move as well?  It's been down since last week.

As far as I know that is not managed by any of the HLP staff.  Do you know who's in charge of it?

http://wingsofdawn.hard-light.net/ there used to be a page of mine here. Now it just shows a half working version of the main page.

A number of subdomains were misconfigured like this.  A two-part fix was required.  I just finished fixing all of them, and I'm waiting on rev_posix for the final reconfiguration.

Are the pictures of "highlight" projects (and the pictures are links to the appropriate threads) going to return to the top of the page like they were before this move?

Yes.  Sandwich will take care of that after the forums are fixed.

The Google Plus page is out of date (2013) - OT, I know.  Should I start another thread?  I only realized cause I was poking around the new site and it's linked there.

Yes.  That's not something you need to ask permission for.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Is fs2netd.game-warden.com part of this move as well?  It's been down since last week.

As far as I know that is not managed by any of the HLP staff.  Do you know who's in charge of it?

The IPs for game-warden.com and our new hard-light.net server differ by one digit (GW is 66.187.72.108; new HLP is 66.187.72.107), so it stands to reason that there might be some sort of connection there...

Yes.  Sandwich will take care of that after the forums are fixed.

Are you referring to the highlights at the top of the forums, or on the website?
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
Next that signatures are not shown entirely, some formats in the forum are also broken.

Try to use another font size and you have to use a magnifying glass to actually read it.

THIS IS BIG!
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The IPs for game-warden.com and our new hard-light.net server differ by one digit (GW is 66.187.72.108; new HLP is 66.187.72.107), so it stands to reason that there might be some sort of connection there...

Yes, but that doesn't answer my question...

Are you referring to the highlights at the top of the forums, or on the website?

Both.