Author Topic: Big-Ass Noobie Question Forum  (Read 5000 times)

Big-Ass Noobie Question Forum
All-righty everyone. Since I thought I knew a bit about Freespace 2, and now I come here and everything is topsy-turvy, I'm just going to have to get educated since I have questions all over the place. So, lets get started.

1) What is Truespace, and what is its importance?
2) How do I get all these spiffy MOD's to work, like the enhanced Weapons Effects, Sinemaps, and so on and so fourth. If I go to my Freespace 2 Directory and then my Data Folder and then my "Maps, Effects, Models" etc, nothing ever changes during gameplay.
3) What is fs2_open?
4) How are MOD's created, and so on?
5) What is the significance of Table files?
6) Is there anything I missed that I should know about?
7) What are ALL The special add-on's, tools, new effects, modifacations, and everything freespace 2 related that makes the game more, oh, pleasureable, and how do I install them?

If you guys can answer all these questions, I will deem you all the greatest Tech-Support crew ever, since no one ever thinks about the n00bies anymore...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 03:35:01 pm by 1718 »

Offline diamondgeezer

If I post this and find Karajorma posted before me again I'll be cross

1. TrueSpace is a 3D modelling program, used by some to make new ships and stuff

2. Karajorma's FreeSpace FAQ

3. FS2_Open is the open source thingy the
SCP guys
are working on. Basically moddifying the FS2 source code to make it bigger and better :nod:

4. See 2

5. See 2

6. See 2

Also, this is the FreeSpace Wiki. Fear it.

Shotguns under the seats, watch out for Carl as he eats people.

Reading your location, by any chance are you a S:AAB fan?

[EDIT] :ha: So beat you to it Kara :ha:, :ha: and :ha:   :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I do. Almost all the answers you need are in my FAQ :) I'll answer some them here anway though.

1) TS is a 3D modeller. You need it for one of the steps required to make a new ship. Check the modding section of my FAQ for more info.

2) FAQ. Directory structure page. If you have any questions after reading that I'll be happy to answer them.

3) An improved version of FS2 built by fans from the source code for FS2.

4) FAQ - Modding section.

5) FAQ - Directory Structure section and GE's VPView Tutorial

DG just beat me to it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

You guys are the greatest. :D :nod: ;)

I'll look at the FAQ and return if I have any questions.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I added this to one of your other posts but I forgot to add it here.

There is a guide to installing FS2_open on the Wiki

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Installing

I really need feedback from this so if there is anything you have trouble with on it be sure to tell me (or edit it yourself if you're feeling brave :D )

So then, what do I use fs2_open for again? It basically look just like Freespace 2 (and i own a legitimate copy, yay! 3 CD's and all!) so, how does this improve on everything? Also, look at number 7 on the things I asked. Its my biggest question.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
FS2_open add support for all kinds of new weapons, effects and missions that couldn't possibly be done in FS2.

You'll really see the effects of FS2_open when campaigns which are designed to be FS2_open only (like my own MindGames) start being released but even playing standard FS2 missions you can see a huge difference.

Have a look at this http://www.penguinbomb.com/lightspeed/FS2Web_shine.html

to see the difference FS2_open can make to the ships from the standard FS2 game.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 04:38:53 pm by 340 »

Yes, but let me say something if I may that is my numero uno problem:

How do I get to activate all these MOD's? I mean, all the guide I read give me sources to everything I need, sure, but I still dont know how to run this stuff! There is no ONE mod, like, a file to just activate and PLAY, but then theres tools left and right, and I dont know where half of them are, and I dont know how to get a lot of this stuff running anymore, so I am friggin lost! Thats my biggest issue. Sure, fs2_open is shnazzy, great, but what can it do for me? I cant do anything with it except open Freespace 2. Gravy. I need to know how I can use it PROPERLY instead of scattered guides left and right telling me to do different things.

No offense to anyone by the way.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That guide to installing FS2_open tells you to download the media.vp. That will add most of the features on that page I linked to with pictures of shiny ships.

You're right though. Since most of the community know FS2_Open quite well we tend to forget how to sell it to newbies. I think I'm going to have to take some steps to correct that problem. :)

BTW I added your AIM to my list cause I think this will go a lot quicker online but you appear to be offline at the moment.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 04:58:34 pm by 340 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Well, FS modding is actually quite a big field, so you'll need to ask specifics unfortunately.  It would take (literally) ages to write a detailed guide to everything you can do.

On the subject of fs2_opn, it replaces the retail game code.  there's a number of visual improvements - especially in lighting - and also work on adding more detailed and more efficient graphical features.

To make the best of this, you'll also need to pick up the additional files (i.e. hi-res polanets, specular maps for ships, the in-progress weapon reworkings).  I think there should be descriptions on how all this works in the Source Code Project forum.

Oh, and 7) would give you a massive list.... there is probably hundreds of mods floating about, from small weapons changes, to new artwork (i.e. mission backgrounds), new ships, and to entire campaigns complete with masses of new stuff.

Allllllrighty. I had my buddy list specially modified, so you will have to tell me when you want to IM me on AIM, otherwise you wont show up.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Just a note to you more experienced folk, pay close attention to what our aluminum friend has said here. I'd hazard a guess that the problems he's having in understanding what's what, figuring out things, etc, is exactly the kind of problems the majority of people who wander by encounter - they just don't speak up.

So, if I may be so bold, karajorma, I'd suggest that you not only help Tin Can out on AIM, but make sure that your efforts are recorded in the Wiki or your FAQ or wherever, step-by-step. Yeah, I know you'll probably do this anyway, but I just wanted to encourage you in that direction. ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've already started doing that :D

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
*peanut-butter cookie* :D
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Reading your location, by any chance are you a S:AAB fan?

Stop kiddin' yourself DG. You're the last of the few. :D
(Von Braun is also the name of the ship from SystemShock2)

As for installing mods, it depends what format they're in. (exe, vp etc)
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Yes, I am refering to System Shock 2, another great game where one of the workers from "Arx Fatalis" is upgrading the graphics a WHOLE bunch. So, I SHOULD have put, "Von Braun: Orbit: Tau Ceti V"

Trust me, I bet very few people have played that absoltuely great game, but you can download it from underdog. System Shock 2, kicks ass!

But one more thing: the only command(s) that fs2_open could not recognize when I opened it up were: "-spec" and also "-glow"

It said it cant recognize so I dont know how this affects gameplay or graphics. All I know is it probably doesnt work the same way it should, and I was wondering if anyone had some tips or suggestions.

Offline diamondgeezer

Originally posted by magatsu1
Stop kiddin' yourself DG. You're the last of the few. :D

:sigh:

Can anyone here answer my question?

And what is S:AAB?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
S:AAB - Space: Above and Beyond, a discontinued tv series set in the near-future with space fights and soforth.

Um.... fs_open deosn;t seem to recognise spec for me either, yet still seems to work fine (i.e. the specularity).  I think the same applies for -glow.

Offline Zarax

They are ON by default IIRC, on the launcer the flags are -nospec and -no glow, so it should be that way...
The Best is Yet to Come