Author Topic: Big-Ass Noobie Question Forum  (Read 4998 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Big-Ass Noobie Question Forum
Originally posted by Zarax
They are ON by default IIRC, on the launcer the flags are -nospec and -no glow, so it should be that way...

The boxes are called -glow and -spec in launcher v4 so I think the names need changing to -NoGlow and -NoSpec then.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2004, 11:43:49 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

So then, how do I do that stuff exactly... remember, I need to be stepped through because im a n00b. ;7

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Go to the flags tab in the launcher and turn off -spec and -glow

Alright. New problem with this launcher. When I try to run it, it says "Failed to get int mode" and it has "Direct 3D" on the top. I dont know whats wrong with it so, I was hoping someone here could help.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to HLP, Tin Can, and kudos for having the guts to come out and ask all your questions. ;) Are you a System Shock fan?

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Alright. New problem with this launcher. When I try to run it, it says "Failed to get int mode" and it has "Direct 3D" on the top. I dont know whats wrong with it so, I was hoping someone here could help.

One possible problem could be launcher v4. Find a post by Random Tiger and download v3.4 from his signature (at the bottom of his post)

Abso-friggin-lutely. Played the game, beat it on ALL difficulty modes as a Navy guy three times, an OSA once and a Marine once. I have lots of fun with it and I hope CyberBlutch upgrades it to its glory. I was going to get into map making but it just got reall confusing a lot of the time, so, I didn't really fancy using "dromED" so instead I went on to Aliens Vs Predator 2 map editing with "DEdit" and thats about the length of my career with System Shock 2. I love the game to death and wish it was very popular still.

Dont worry guys, I solved my problem by restarting my computer... Ironic how that works.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
So FS2_open works now?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Abso-friggin-lutely. Played the game, beat it on ALL difficulty modes as a Navy guy three times, an OSA once and a Marine once. I have lots of fun with it and I hope CyberBlutch upgrades it to its glory. I was going to get into map making but it just got reall confusing a lot of the time, so, I didn't really fancy using "dromED" so instead I went on to Aliens Vs Predator 2 map editing with "DEdit" and thats about the length of my career with System Shock 2. I love the game to death and wish it was very popular still.

Dont worry guys, I solved my problem by restarting my computer... Ironic how that works.

Hahah, awesome. You'll fit right into the other SS junkies who frequent this forum. :D I love the game too, but I can't get over how scary SS1 is (I haven't gotten to SS2 yet). I'm the kind of player who'll camp out an area for half an hour to get a better tactical advantage over a bunch of monsters, just so that I can save three or four bullets. Needless to say, in the more suspenseful bits, I can't handle it. :shaking: ;)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Launcher v4 will only work on new testing builds.

They're planning on turning EVERYTHING off by standard, that's why theres 'spec' and 'glow' command lines.

You will have to add command lines for all SCP features you want to use.

Not too great from my point of view.
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Perhaps RT should add a "turn on everything" checkbox, for the people who know they want it different. I'm pretty sure the "everything off by default" decision is for the people who are saying "it doesn't look like FS any more"... well, this way it will be just as easy to go either way. :)

Im a little lost as to where this is going folks...

And SS2 is really creepy and suspensful, with ammunition scarce as hell. Your Assault Rifle is your friend as well as your Med Hypo's. Keep them in good supply, you will need it.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Jeez, this thread moves fast ;)

Just finished typing up instructions and he'd already figured it out, I think.....

Is FS2_Open working for you yet TC?

Flipside :)

Offline Fractux

Originally posted by Setekh
Perhaps RT should add a "turn on everything" checkbox, for the people who know they want it different. I'm pretty sure the "everything off by default" decision is for the people who are saying "it doesn't look like FS any more"... well, this way it will be just as easy to go either way. :)

Yeah, i second this idea.

A box that says "Enable SCP advanced features" that will tick off -jpgtga -htl -spec -glow. But you can still deslect any of those at your leizure.
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Yeah, all I had to do was restart my computer because when I tried to run Freespace 1 it made it really messed up and so I cant play it all of a sudden... boo hoo...

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Setekh
I'm the kind of player who'll camp out an area for half an hour to get a better tactical advantage over a bunch of monsters, just so that I can save three or four bullets. Needless to say, in the more suspenseful bits, I can't handle it. :shaking: ;)

Are you sure we weren't seperated at birth or something, Ed? ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Im gonna need some help though on how to get those black squares around the planets to be be cut out so it looks like an actual circle, not a circle in a giant black box. Elaboration needed badly.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Tin Can, are you using Lightspeed's new planets? I think we're still waiting for full DDS support and alpha transparencies for the 32-bit planets. :)

Originally posted by Sandwich
Are you sure we weren't seperated at birth or something, Ed? ;)

Well, you know Mike, that would explain why I occasionally break out in Hebrew when I'm talking to my friends... :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. Unfortunately the planets have a couple of bugs in one or two missions. They should look fine in most of them though.

Lightspeed says he'll release a new dds set once support for that format is a little better and the black boxes will be gone forever :D

Ok, on to the next thing.

In FRED, how do I set the sensor radius to only 10,000 Meters for Alpha's ship? If I figure it out eventually then dont feel bad. But thank god those black squares will be gone.