Author Topic: Possible Superstation?  (Read 3114 times)

Possible Superstation?
Eh, I've been seeing lots of Arcadia around Freespace and realized there are only 2 kinds of stations. Ganymede and Arcadia stations. When you think about it, if there were stations and major production facilities in the SOL system, then wouldnt there be some really big-ass stations in space? I just played some more of "Tachyon" and even on the first training mission you can do, that is a big-mother station and it looks really good too. Any ideas?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
There are a fair number of station mods out there... but personally they seem very underused, it goes without saying that major corporations, military installations, science and civilian stations are only the beginning of possibilities. Plus nobody has modelled a Dyson Sphere yet ;)

Suffice to say, yeah... superstations for large areas of action would be a good idea. It makes sense that a hub of subspace nods would have a big-ass station to take care of it in both a military and civilian sense.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I've made sevral stations, search for the Utgard, it's small though
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

If I ever get the hang of using 3D Max then I will try my best to represent what I am saying. If you look at Tachyon you will know what I mean. Freelancer is also a good reference, with their really REALLY big stations as central hubs for their assaults. I like...

But yeah, when you want something called a "fortified" sector, one of those with lots of capital ships and Ganymede installations would present it as a central hub for commerce and construction as well as repair. I would think that something like that would kick ass.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I was thinking the same thing

*reminds himself to finisht the Guardian and Vanguard stations*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
maybe I should get done with Valhala
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Originally posted by Kalfireth
There are a fair number of station mods out there... but personally they seem very underused, it goes without saying that major corporations, military installations, science and civilian stations are only the beginning of possibilities. Plus nobody has modelled a Dyson Sphere yet ;)

Suffice to say, yeah... superstations for large areas of action would be a good idea. It makes sense that a hub of subspace nods would have a big-ass station to take care of it in both a military and civilian sense.

You don't model a dyson sphere. You create a skybox for a dyson sphere... like Freelancer. That, actually, would have rocked, had the skybox had used a higher resolution texture. One could build a pretty groovy game, I think, in such an environment.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Regardless, for regular freespace I think we should include a brand-new station that is HUGE and POWERFUL and is a mainstay for several groups of capital ships. :D

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the sky box code actualy would be great for this
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I realy started to hate super ships.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Well I think we should try out this idea.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I didn't say you shouldn't try it out. But i won't do anything with it.
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Odyssey

• Stormrider
[color=cc9900]I like small, cute ships myself. It really wouldn't make all that much sense having something much bigger than an Arcadia station, primarily because space is so empty. You put stuff near the stuff it works with, and build a network from that base up. Additonally, there's the issue of defence - however hyper-powerful your super-station may be, it's still incredibly vulnerable because it's not only a sitting duck, it's a huge sitting duck, as opposed to lots of little ducks bobbing around in different parts of the lake.

Therefore, small cute stations are the way forward, says I.[/color]

The Atlantis is undeused IMHO. I was gonna try to arm it but cause of it's VAST size (like a 12km square!) and my recent turreting setbacks, it's just to daunting a task!

I am a big fan of large battlestaions though! I love any show or movie that has intense combat with them. (ie DS9, B5, ect..)  Evn that space station from Starship troopers, thopugh it's main function is to destroy asteroids comming near it's position...

Oh and lastly DON'T forget the headquarters of The Last Starfighter!!! "Meteor Gunner FIRE!"  That was so cool...
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

I personally think the bigger, the more eye candy you have. But other then that, I would love to have this MASSIVE station up. It could also second as a colony.

Offline Starks

Why does everyone always forget the NTI Boadacea?
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
becase it's useless for anything other than that one mission
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by LLivingLarge
Why does everyone always forget the NTI Boadacea?

Cause it's useless. Shoot it a few times and you start seeing the creamy Iceni centre :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Starks

It's still an installation nontheless.
Formerly of the Dark Wings and Legion of Apocalypse

uhm just delete the Iceni from Boadicea and make the asteroid chunks of Boadicea no longer be destroyable ;) voila

couldnt one conceivably just make a new station using Boadicea as the basis anyways?

hehe