Author Topic: Principles of 3DS Max 5  (Read 2324 times)

Principles of 3DS Max 5
Let me get a few things straight here, or at least in the gutter:

IS 3DS Max used, by getting a basic shape, and then molding it, cutting at it, flexing it, and then making it to your ultimate form? Just a thought...

And what are some of the things I need to know about 3DS Max 5? Is there anything in particuarly special about it that I could use to make, well, whatever? Also: how do you know how large the ship will be? How do you convert files? How would you SAVE the files? How would you apply shinemap principles TO the model in order to make it consistant with Freespace 2?

You guys are the only ones I know who might know what I'm talking about, and since UT keeps on telling me that I should be able to do this, I'm starting to give it a try.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the best bet is to go get a copy of 3d studio max for dummies. theres too much to know about max to put into a forum.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline magatsu1

do a google search. There's bound to be some max specific forums, tuts etc.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Extrusions are your friends.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oooer! :shaking:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Principles of 3DS Max 5
Originally posted by .::Tin Can::.
Let me get a few things straight here, or at least in the gutter:

IS 3DS Max used, by getting a basic shape, and then molding it, cutting at it, flexing it, and then making it to your ultimate form? Just a thought...

It can be, I think.... but personally, I always start with a box and work outwards, adding details - as Deppblue said, extrusions are your friend :nod:

And what are some of the things I need to know about 3DS Max 5? Is there anything in particuarly special about it that I could use to make, well, whatever? Also: how do you know how large the ship will be? How do you convert files? How would you SAVE the files? How would you apply shinemap principles TO the model in order to make it consistant with Freespace 2?

Ship size is set in Truespace, or using the options in PCS
Files are saved as max files - to get something usable in Ts, export a 3ds.  NB:  3ds files require 8-character-length filenames for the textures - anything more gets shortened.  Shinemaps are seperate maps...you don't use them in max atall for modelling - just take the normal textures and create an alkternate version of them with the -shine (IIRC) ending.  To be clear, the only map you apply to the model is the visible texture map - i.e. the basic 'skin'.

Check the tutorials that come with max - max v4 had / has an excellent box-modelling tutorial that got me started.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Aldo's right here, this is true in any 3D App when doing game objects. Booleans are teh bad. Stay away from animation until you feel pretty comfortable with modelling, that's just from personal experience ;)
Because you are modelling for a fps, remember 3 things....

optimise.....
optimise.....
optimise....

Remove wall-facing polygons from objects, you may give yourself another 10 poly's worth of detail on the front of it ;) Even if these games have increibly powerful engines, the game can be ruined when you feel like you are dragging the scenery around with you ;) Textures are very powerful detailling tools, the most awesome looking wall is usually still less than 10 polygons.

Oh yes, and stay on the path, ware the moors ;)

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Since we're talking about 3D packages, why do all the programs I look at(MAX, Rhino, Maya, Truespace, Ect) seem to have their GUI layouts designed by retarded monkey's high one space crack and wasted on Bosch Beer?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I actually really like Max's interface.  It's got a steep learning curve, sure, but once you catch on it's extremely powerful and intuitive.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Of course it's powerful, they use it to make movies for cryin' out loud, but that learning curve is near verticle for every single package!  

No one has, as yet made a powerful, yet quick to warm up to.  

I don't mind needing to spend hours learning how to work software, but I need the software to work with me instead of being the proverbial brick wall.  God help us, I don't the M$ has the ability to, it's probably one of those universal constants:

"There shall not be a beginner friendly 3D design package at any time, and if one should be discovered it shall be destroyed as efficiently as possible in the name of progress."
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
max is to truespace what photoshop is to paint shop pro. now that i have mastered photoshop to a degree, i never touch psp. i hate what truespace 6 did with the point edit tools, they made them more difficult to work with, while improving the uv tools. at the very least max has been consistant with its interface. i only know the very basics about max.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I warmed to lightwave modeller immediately, at low level, it's just like using plasticene, and at high level, it's an incredibly powerful tool. The thing is, I think, that you need to learn some things BEFORE you ever boot the program, there is no such thing as a 'run and go' 3d Modelling program, any more than there is such a thing as a 'run and go' sound editing program, both assume you have a basic knowledge of the field they work in.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Liberator
Of course it's powerful, they use it to make movies for cryin' out loud, but that learning curve is near verticle for every single package!  

No one has, as yet made a powerful, yet quick to warm up to.  

I don't mind needing to spend hours learning how to work software, but I need the software to work with me instead of being the proverbial brick wall.  God help us, I don't the M$ has the ability to, it's probably one of those universal constants:

"There shall not be a beginner friendly 3D design package at any time, and if one should be discovered it shall be destroyed as efficiently as possible in the name of progress."

More features = more ui options  = more complicated UI :nod:

Tho i found max quite easy to use from the start......

On 3D Max, I'm guessing there is so such thing as "grab corner, pull to specified standard, release..."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
On 3D Max, I'm guessing there is so such thing as "grab corner, pull to specified standard, release..."

Select vertice/s and drag, surely?

Ok, stop right there. What do I activate in order to do that?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I almost don't use extrude anymore :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Ok, stop right there. What do I activate in order to do that?

Right..i'm not at home justnow, mind, so I can't give specifics.  And this is based on v4, anyways...........

- firstly, make sure you have an editable mesh (right click on object, convert to editable mesh)
- then, select the mesh editing bit from the RHS toolbar (i.e. covering the side)... you'll find a tab which lets you select the vertices
- select 'edit vertices' (an icon), and simply click on the vertice / s you want (shift-click to select multiple times)
- then just drag

Find a tutorial / walkthrough though - it's the best, quickest and easiest way to learn what you need to know.  Once you know how to make one thing - no matter how simple - you can expand and build upon those basic techniques.