Author Topic: Ho, Ho, Ho  (Read 9042 times)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I would, but for some reason I cannot acess my swooh account.
Untill I fins some webspace to store this stuff, you will have to wait.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Eh, they look ok. Really basic though, not as good as your other work.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2004, 05:59:12 pm by 368 »

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Geez..why is allmost everyone going into the high-poly stratosphere..

Take the high-poly fighters? What good can they do? In FS2 you se a fighter up-close how often? And when you do, it zippes past with full speed. When you do get close, you're looking at it's engine glows and emptying your missiles into it's tailpipe.

I understand that you know it could look better. Of course it could. I could go and make a map for it, but I don't have the time now, and this setup works well in game.
Oh..don't forget - you can ALLWAYS do better..

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I like high poly ships for renderring.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by TrashMan
and yes..the Retribution..
I don't get it.. the cannon barrels won't rotate alltough I set them up exactly as I did radar dishes on my other ships (which worked).
Allso, the Assault Cannon does 500 damage and has a fire rate of 0.2, but in-game, it hardly fires..even tough I set the weapon AI to general, it barely uses the weapon!

It probably didn't work because radar dishes are not turrets.  Turrets are AI aimed and rotate to face a target.  Since the firepoints are directly along the turret's Y-axis (as far as the turret is concerned), and you probably severly limited the field of fire so they shoot straight ahead, then the barrels don't need to rotate in order to aim at their intended target.  What you may want to do is create a turret that's just a base.  Then put your rotating barrel in front of the turret as a non-targettable and non destroyable-subsystem, then possibly using Bob's subobject animation, key its rotation to the firing of the turret its in front of.  Then add a single firepoint to the turret and place it in front of the top barrel of the gattling gun.  Then time the fire rate of its weapon with the rotation rate of the barrel.  You want the turret barrel to be non-targettable and non-destroyable, because if it were destroyed but the actual turret wasn't, it'd continue to fire without the barrel.  You might even be able to cue the barrel's destruction to the destruction of the turret, using the similar procedure as that which makes it rotate with the turret firing.  It may not work, but then again, it may.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Geez..why is allmost everyone going into the high-poly stratosphere..

Take the high-poly fighters? What good can they do? In FS2 you se a fighter up-close how often? And when you do, it zippes past with full speed. When you do get close, you're looking at it's engine glows and emptying your missiles into it's tailpipe.

I understand that you know it could look better. Of course it could. I could go and make a map for it, but I don't have the time now, and this setup works well in game.
Oh..don't forget - you can ALLWAYS do better..

Trashman...what we're, or at least I'm saying, is that your ships, at least the ones in this thread, are about maybe five or six blocks.
By your logic we could just put a tube with engine glows and it'll be fine, cause we never get close enough to see them anyway.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think you'll find hi-poly (well, high by FS terms....5000 isn't that much in real terms, after all......) fighters work quite well ingame ;7

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
WHoaaaw, Excellent modelling. But the first one, looks weird

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Unknown Target

Trashman...what we're, or at least I'm saying, is that your ships, at least the ones in this thread, are about maybe five or six blocks.
By your logic we could just put a tube with engine glows and it'll be fine, cause we never get close enough to see them anyway.

I'm advocating normal ships. Not low-poly models, nor resource hogs. For capships 5000 is not that much at all. For fighters? I say that's a overkill. 1000 is good enough for a fighter in my oppinion.

My ships having 5-6 blocks?
Whitehall is 8000 polys WITHOUT turrets.
The Retribution is 1200 without turrets.

Anyway, the latest addition:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I'm advocating normal ships. Not low-poly models, nor resource hogs. For capships 5000 is not that much at all. For fighters? I say that's a overkill. 1000 is good enough for a fighter in my oppinion.

If you compare a 1000 poly fighter and a 5000 poly one, you'll find there is a marked difference in quality.  It all depends how you define 'good enough'.

Offline Roanoke

And having n number of polys doesn't really count for anything.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
And the most recent update on the Whitehall!

Holy. Living. ****.
What the HELL is that?

(Whatever it is, I want it, especially if it has turrets to accomodate huge beam cannons. It would make a wonderful Starforce battlecruiser)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 04:50:36 pm by 1099 »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Dude, that's a starbase.... Well, if you fit engines onto it it might pass as a warship, but that would be an ovekill....

@Ranroke - having and n number of polys really doesn't mean much if they are not adequately spent. And I do take great care of every single poly on my models...

Bad texturing can sometimes really hide those details well.. I smply gotta do something about the Retribution texture job...

Aldo - good enough = for a ship to look good depending on his size. You can make a excellent fighter with 1000 poyls. A capship however, requires more.

Look, it's not like I'm saying that high-poly fighters are bad. Quite the contrary, they are brilliant works. However, I do feel that more polys are being spent there than necessary, since texturing will do wonders on fighters.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Roanoke

Lemme put it this way.... it's shocking how bad my 1000 poly LOD1 models are in comparison to the 4000 poly LOD0 models I'm using.  And it's nothing to do with wasting polys.

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Me!!

Originally posted by aldo_14

Lemme put it this way.... it's shocking how bad my 1000 poly LOD1 models are in comparison to the 4000 poly LOD0 models I'm using.  And it's nothing to do with wasting polys.

that comment wasn't directed at you :)

I hated doing LODs, I have to say.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
THIS IS STILL AN EARLY WIP (only one LOD, has only the main turrets and the texturing ain't fully done)

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken