Author Topic: BSG Turrets. (@ Omniscaper)  (Read 8534 times)

Offline redmenace

BSG Turrets. (@ Omniscaper)
Hmm, I think it would  be a great idea to make a collection of reference materials of the ships from the series. I already have all the episodes downloaded and backed up on dvd.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by ngtm1r

Can you prove this? I've seen no turrets save ones like those linked to in Mr. Bolte's post, though I admit I haven't seen as many episodes as I should...

Railguns? *tilts head to one side, puzzled* Plasma or laser or something, but definitely not projectile-based...

They fire flak... I'm pretty sure thats projectile based.

And Omniscaper, go ahead and redownload the max file. I put the correct number of rails in, added a base, added a small detail, optimized the mesh, and managed to cut 50 or so polies.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
On the ZOIC-released images I'm seeing 24 big guns, all the same as far as I can tell, and well over 400 tiny guns, also all the same. The big guns have three rails coming off the barrel and the tiny guns seem to have either a lot of rails, or slotted barrels. Is there something I'm missing?

EDIT: Wait, are the PDBs spinning? hmm...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2005, 06:21:55 pm by 1132 »
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
These are the big un's then. Can I get a reference pic of the little buggers?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Damnit!

Redownload the max file again, I fixed the size of the barrels so they more closely match the picture in Boltes post.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
To make this simple, if the model is orange, you have the right one, if not, redownload.

If Subobject LOD's were implemented this could be possible!... hint hint

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Nice! Some struts on the turret cockpit and textures to match with how they look in the show would be nice :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
You need the recoil of the barrels too! So test the subobject animation code with it! hint hint
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
I don't think thats the latest model... (was it orange?)

The old ones had some problems with things not being sized right and not being centered.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
BTW, can I get some reference shots on the Vipers firing their guns?

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
And yes, it is madness.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
And that model really needs custom UVed textures...

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Naw, what was I thinking? The PDBs are 4-rail things. They don't have the same structure as the big ones, more like big box that pivots a bit. Only decent pic I'm using is this. I know it looks like two rails, but I'm sure it's 4. Had to use a vid I, err, acquired to be sure. I wouldn't want to try pics, too low res. Took me a lot of views to be sure.
So...what are thinking about doing for the PDBs? That's a lot more guns than I've ever seen anyone put on a ship. In any game.

As to what these guns are, they are offically called railguns as far as I know, and I'm sure they do fire physical shells rather than 'plasma bolts' or some other standard of TV/movie sci-fi, but how they actually function and what relation they have to modern-day railguns is unclear. Judging just by visuals it looks like they're using boring-old chemical propulsion (can anyone else think of a reason for the flames?), and though my education in electromagnetics is sorely lacking it's been pointed out to me that three rails at 120 degrees isn't a workable design if you're making what we call a railgun.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually one rail would be perfectly feasable for a railgun, were there some effective way of getting a projectile to actually stay on a single rail.  All it needs is a conductive coil that will produce a magnetic pulse running from one end to the other and you've got the means of delivering the necessary force to the bolt; additional rails would theoretically provide physical stability as the bolt slides out but not much else.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Hey Omni, make sure you shrink the base on the turret so it matches this:

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Actually forget it, I'll just remodel the turret.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Wait a sec, do those turrets pop out when they fire? I don't see how they could aim up if they didn't.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
There's a very nice sequence at the end of the miniseries when they come out of the dust cloud that has a nice closeup of some turrets. I think it shows them popping out when they fire, and doing something with the barrels. It looks pretty cool. :p
-C