Author Topic: Viper MkVII WIP....  (Read 8951 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
-C

Danke. But, I would think the wow factor would be much bigger if I didn't have to FAKE bumpmapping. HINT HINT

I guess much can be gotten away with in the speculars. But I'll keep researching ways to create normal maps and uberized bumpmapping in the mean time. Until that FATEFULL day that the SCP gods allow us to finally use bump or normal mapping.

Still tweaking with speculars to show some extreme weathering and rust.

Offline Fractux

Wow, amazing work on that texture Omni. it really looks all worn and potmarked.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Some more subtle, speculars...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
...you know, I do have to pose the question: the Mark VII is pretty much brand-new, correct?

The weathering effects are pretty and all, but let's be honest: if it's brand-new, it shouldn't have them.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

All things within the universe are subject to entropy, dude.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Criticism, after looking at some Mark VII pics:

1) The intakes look blocky and polygonized (the technical term :D) compared to the rest of the ship.

2) The spikes on the end. Again, they look sort of polygonized.

I'm not sure how many polygons it'd take to improve on either of those, but it's worth looking into IMHO. The rest of the ship looks ultra-smooth.
-C

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
you forgot the gun-thing on the top fin and you need to make the lines on the body and wings darker
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Omniscaper
All things within the universe are subject to entropy, dude.

Entropy takes time. Time it hasn't had.

Unless Galactica has some Mark VII's sitting in the hanger gathering dust somewhere, and they manage to somehow render them Cylon-tampering-proof, of course.

It just seems rather a lot of effort for a model that won't feature very often.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 07:37:15 pm by 2191 »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Its a fun photoshop exercise. I'm having fun reaquainting myself with PS.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I like the rusty one, but tone down the specular map a little.

The subtle one is too subtle. While these are new fighters, I think giving a worn look is better as these suckers would be used a lot. Probably nearly constant CAP use.

Anyway, plop in the text, logos, and symbols :p
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Criticism, after looking at some Mark VII pics:

1) The intakes look blocky and polygonized (the technical term :D) compared to the rest of the ship.

2) The spikes on the end. Again, they look sort of polygonized.

I'm not sure how many polygons it'd take to improve on either of those, but it's worth looking into IMHO. The rest of the ship looks ultra-smooth.

I have no problem resorting back to my perfectionistic tendancy and making this fighter uber smooth by going up to 5k. But I now must think of performance. The BSG project will have large furballs consisting of 20+ fighter battles. I don't think high poly fighters will fly well in that scenario. Conidering there will be a 30k Galactica in the vicinity.

I gotta balance quality and performance if folks without an uber graphics card will play this. The model is already 2059 polygons. I can remove the pilot and cockpit, but this ship will look silly with just a shiny canopy.

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
From the screens I saw the canopy wasn't that opaque...

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You're gonna put guns on her, right?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Please save a new Option for the pilotless one (that way if we find ourselves overwhelmed we can DL and plug in the "Light Version". But for the mod the standard one is the HP one. JKust a thought.
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Getter Robo G
Please save a new Option for the pilotless one (that way if we find ourselves overwhelmed we can DL and plug in the "Light Version". But for the mod the standard one is the HP one. JKust a thought.

LODs are your frind Getter Robo G.
They do marvels for FPS.

@Omni: Could your write a tutorial on how you made this textures in PS?

That would be very usefull for newbies + oldies like me who have no previous experience.

BTW: Your work is Exemplary - you've grown from a begining porter to a full fledged model genius in little time.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline gevatter Lars

• Another wingnut
    • http://gevatter_lars.tripod.com/
I would also like to get some tips for making that kind of textures...I am just trying to get something done myself so help would be great.
"Yes! That is my plan, and I see nothing wrong with it. I figure that if I stick to a stupid strategy long enough it might start to work."
 - comment to "Robotech: The Masters"

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
I question the validity of intakes on a space fighter.

I'm guessing it has some atmospheric flight capability.

More likely it is an engine nozzle. In Newtonian physics, to slow your forward speed, you have to direct thrust forward. Watch the B5 StarFuries in action.

Or it could be some kind of ventilation intake so that you don't have to use a pressure suit or anything like that during atmospheric flight.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by ngtm1r

Entropy takes time. Time it hasn't had.

Unless Galactica has some Mark VII's sitting in the hanger gathering dust somewhere, and they manage to somehow render them Cylon-tampering-proof, of course.

It just seems rather a lot of effort for a model that won't feature very often.

You must have missed some episodes.  In the first episode, Apollo nails that freighter from the cockpit of a Mark VII.  I'm a fan of this new version of the Viper so I, if nobody else, will cheer for its cause.

Although the producers are surely appealing to the nostalgia element of the show, there are Mark VIIs onboard Galactica, they have been "fixed", and surely they are on CAP with the Mark IIs.

I think the key aspect here, however, is a visual appeal as well as a gameplay appeal when it comes to the MOD.  It means instead of one fighter type to fly, you have two very solid canonical designs...much like the Aurora and Thunderbolt StarFurys of Babylon 5.  The visual appeal is that the Mark VII appeals to people like me who love clean and sleek lines while the Mark II seems more worn and well used and nostalgic.

Back to Episode 1 of the series again, the Raptor, the Mark VII (both ships seem to be of the same style of design BTW) and the Mark II in formation (Boomer, Starbuck, Apollo) has a really great "rag tag" feel to it because you have mixed squadrons flying together with different ships of different abilities but ultimately flexible in their approach.

As for performance, the VII is supposed to be more sensitive and manuverable (sort of like the F-15 vs F/A-22) and it looks as if it has an extra gun (is that confirmed?).  So I think it'll be neat to fly around with...can't wait :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."