Author Topic: What is rar.  (Read 1977 times)

Offline dr22

Yes I'm so new I still sparkle. haha
I have been playing Freespace2 forever but I never did any modding. I have done some level builds with Descent3 and loved it. But alas I can't figure this one out. What is the .rar , is it like a .zip file? do I have to buy an un .rar program? and lastly how do I install 3.6.9 in place of the 3.6.7. I have read all the stuff on wiki and it still escapes me. Will any one help? Thank You.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Yes, rar is just like zip. Just rar. WinZip can usually open rar files. Just as WinRAR can always open zip files. You might have checked wikipedia, for example, before asking about it.

I am wondering. I have recently encountered a whole bunch of people who have never heard about winrar. I prefer winrar over stupid winzip, actually I prefer pretty much everything over winzip. It's just something I considered to be obvious when I was a kid. Apparently world isn't so simple place after all. :)
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
http://www.7-zip.org/
It's free, no trial and opens nearly all types of compressed archives. It doesn't support compressing rars though, but 7z is better anyway. :p

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Don't believe Sandwich Fury, 7z lures young children into its lair and eats their bones!! WinRar is the only way to go.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:37:03 am by Mefustae »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Don't believe Sandwich
No need to believe Sandwich as long as you believe me. ;) :p

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Gunnery control, load all batteries......Fire!

:welcome:

Welcome to HLP Station, May your stay here be pleasant. Please be aware that our resdent tame Shivan lurks in the air ducts, if you happen to see him, back away carefully, toss him your lunch and pray that he isn't hungry. In the event of an emergency, the plasma rifle is stored under your seat. However, due to budget cuts, the napalm has been replaced with holy water! Acdess to the weapons lockers is restricted Admins and The Hyper Intelligent Shade Of Blue. Mention of a third installment of our favourite game is prohibited as are any combination of the characters eff ess three. Should this station develop a serious fault, please board an escape pod which has been programmed to take you to our sister station Game Warden. Please try to avoid all flame wars that can flare up at any time in various parts of the station and once again enjoy your stay!

Third Kill  ;)
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
http://www.7-zip.org/
It's free, no trial and opens nearly all types of compressed archives. It doesn't support compressing rars though, but 7z is better anyway. :p

It's still got a fair way to go before it matches the seemless operation of WinRAR though. Little things like not being able to add to an archive by simply dragging a file on top of a 7z file for instance.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Don't believe Sandwich
No need to believe Sandwich as long as you believe me. ;) :p
Woah, what the hell was I smoking when I posted that?!

In all honesty, I blame the similar colour of your avatars. It's confusing!!

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
as of now, everyone interested in compressing stuff should use WinRAR. It's freeware, and expires after like a month, but it still functions perfectly.

Good features on it for rightclicks... i most often use it for mass decompressions... I dont like opening ZIPs or RARs one-by-one and dragging the files out... with WinRAR, select all the RARs or ZIPs and select "extract..." or "extract here"... the former lets you put all the files into the same folder, which is default as a copy of the name of the current folder with only the compressed files in it, and the latter puts all files from the ZIPs or RARs in the same folder as the compressed versions.

RAR (pronounced "rare" i believe) is quite basically the second best format for compression, falling behind the currently-unused *.7z format. RAR is popular and very useful.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Freespace Freak

• Official forum permanewb
What's the deal with modding sites and rar over Winzip?  Oh, cross-platform compatability, duh.  :ick:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The Egyptian God of Dyslexia?  :nervous:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 02:18:40 pm by Flipside »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What's the deal with modding sites and rar over Winzip?  Oh, cross-platform compatability, duh.  :ick:

Rar has better compression than Zip. It adds up after a while.

Offline dr22

To all who have responed to my call for help, thank you. I am very sorry that I did not know about wikipedia. I did go to 7z and down loaded there un-zipper thingy.  I must admit that I am very tired of reading through tons of posts, sorry. Seems the older I get the less I like chasing things. Can you tell me where to find the sight that tells about installing all these files and using them? Or is it wikipedia as well?
 Have a great day, it could be worse, you could be dead.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Install what? Its an archive.
If you want to know where to put the archives, go to Karajorma's last post, and click his signature link about the FAQ.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline dr22

Thank You.

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
At least RAR's extractor is english-language and reasonably well-spread as formats go (probably #2 i think, behind ZIP).

I've come across some pretty obscure compressor formats; GCA, for instance, whose extractor is Japanese only, and LZH, which I had never heard of. RAR is pretty mainstream in comparison.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

If I'm not mistaken LZH is Lharc, a rather old compressor.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
LHA was VERY popular on the Amiga. (In fact its the defacto standard for anything on Aminet). It's still heavily used in Japan but isn't that popular anywhere else.