Author Topic: Truespace Infos  (Read 21326 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'll probably keep my eyes on this thread more often...
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline dr22

Hi All; I am still at it. Trying to texture or color my new ship. Have been trying to follow the ts5.2 tutorial on texturing and coloring but I have not figured it out yet. Thanks Mr. VA I will keep working and will create a great fighter soon, I hope. lol Has any one got a handle on how to texture or color my ship? I need help. Or as our un-educated troops say hlp. Thanks again for all your help thus far. Keep smiling all and have a great day. :-)

Wish I could help, but have 0 experience in truespaec other than setting up a scene.  Heck I couldn't figure out how to apply textures in truespace 7  :doubt:
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Sorry I can't help much, but in the case of TS3.2 which I used to use, the Paint Face option is useless.

There was one rare occasion when I got aldo's GTF Skadi to convert, but the thruster textures were totally screwy. I never managed to fix them (another problem was the fighter's size, it was in fullsize when I converted it).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
dr22: To do any ship justice in the texture department, you'll need to be able to UV map it.

IPAndrews has a slightly outdated but still good tutorial for the UV mapper Lithunwrap here: http://underworld.fortunecity.com/pacman/106/fs2mods/shipcreationguide/

(incidentally, IPA - did you know your tut there is the 5th result for Googling "lithunwrap 1.3"? ;) )
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Still though, what exactly didn't you like about the interface?

Christ you're persistent. Do you know what "intuitive" means? It means I should be able to use an interface and know through intuition where to find what I'm looking for and how to make it work. Blender is not intuitive. Neither is trueSpace. As I said if it wasn't for PCS I wouldn't use trueSpace either. I'd use a nice intuitive program where I don't have to invest huge amounts of time in learning a user interface that will never quite interface with my brain in a way which makes me happy. Do you understand now? Is that absolutely positively clear? If not, I will have to kill you :P.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 07:04:40 am by IPAndrews »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh come on, how much can I glean from "I loathe Blender's interface"? You never even mentioned intuitiveness! For all I could tell, you might not have been able to find a function and hated the entire program because of that. :p

I'm being persistant here because you've been saying blender's no good, but not provided a clear reason why you think that till now. I've been arguing that it's a lot of good in its functionality and capability - not about its ability to mesh with how your individual brain works. :p

And out of curiosity - and at risk of a probably painful killing, is Sculpt 4d your intuitive Holy Grail?
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
is Sculpt 4d your intuitive Holy Grail?

No that's Lightwave.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline dr22

Hi All; I went to the web sight you showed here Mr. VA and downloaded the tuts and I will start work using them soon. Thank You. Mr IPA thank you as well for the info. What is lightwave? All, Have agreat day.:-)

Lightwave is another high end modelling program like Max and Maya.
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline dr22

ok Thank you Mr.SD. So it is one of those exspensive ones.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Expensive, and also with a very not-Windows user interface.

Hmmm, I wonder if there's any 3D modeling program capable of high-end rendering (which even trueSpace is capable of since the version that they put the Lightworks render engine in) that has been a Windows program from its beginning?

Lightwave and trueSpace owe their funkiness to their Amiga beginnings. Blender was a *nix program for a while before it got a Windows version. Maya? What was its original platform? Bryce was a Macintosh app, then the company created a whole new programming language to do Bryce 2 for Windows and managed to have _fewer bugs_ in the Windows version than they did in Bryce 2 for Macintosh. ;)
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Is there a modeler around here that uses Maya for his/her FS2 ships?
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Hmmmm,  Is Rhino 3D £££ or Free i cant remember.........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline dr22

Hi All; Has anyone actually textured a ship in ts? Any one done it in ts5.2? If so how do you do it? Any tuts would be helpful. Thanks all. Any one have any thoughts pertaining to comparision between ts5.2 and ts6.6? I think its 6.6. What ever the next upgrade is from ts5.2.

Offline Tempest

• The Star Wars Conversion
    • The Fate of the Galaxy - SWC
I have a few questions. I loathe truespace's interface and can't figure this out.

1. How can I rotate a model a specific, exact number of degrees? (because XYZ coords are screwed, i make models with SolidWorks)

2. Is there any way to easily scale a model around its center, rather than dragging it and getting it off center?

3. How do I set a sob object to go to an exact co-ordinate rather than dragging it and eyeballing?

I normally figure out programs quite quickly, but Truespace hates me, I think. I'm using 6.5.

Dr22: I've done it, multiple times. The maps sucked, but I did it. I can't figure out how to make the texture not mirror on the mottom though. Click on planar projection, then uvmap, then materials, then the truespace logo, then hit what texture you want, and click the paint all button. Thats for a SIMPLE texturing job, mind you, and won't work for anything complex. Ideal for texturing a box though. Well, maybe a flat box.

"... and the klingons also were the soviet's space program. i mean can you really believe that a bunch of communist farmers can make rockets like that?"
-Axem

My photobucket: with all my shiny new stuff on it! http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o116/Tempest_77/

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Check out the tutorials here. http://www.caligari.com/Help/Resources/tSDemo_resources/default.asp
Here's a tutorial on the 6.x UV editor. http://members.aon.at/startist_x/uv_tutorial/

If you're still using 6.5, hunt up this file. ts65sp.exe (8.6 megabytes) That's the patch to 6.6. I found several references to a 6.6 Service Pack 2, I dunno if that's it or not. 'Course if you have a genuine license, you can register at the Caligari site and download the updates.

One thing all trueSpace users need to do is right click on the arrow button to open the object properties panel, then (in newer versions) click the little downward pointing red triangle in that panel's title bar to fully expand it. THEN ALWAYS LEAVE THAT OPEN. It has a 'feature' where if you change a number you must hit Enter or click in another field or it'll change the number back to the previous data. The refresh cycle appears to be fixed, so sometimes it'll change the number back just as you're touching Enter.  :ick:

That's where you directly enter numerical data for scaling, positioning, rotating etc. If you want to scale/move/rotate in exact measurements, right click the Grid button and the settings panel pops up. It's context sensitive so it only shows the relevant settings for when you have Move, Rotate or Scale selected.

Another 'feature' that's always been in trueSpace is when you're doing point/edge/face editing, then click the arrow button to exit that, it will almost always switch to Object Move, no matter what you had selected prior to clicking a mesh editing button. Another thing to watch out for is TS switching to Point Move upon entering mesh editing. Veteran TSers just learn to ALWAYS CLICK THE DESIRED MODE BUTTON when going between object and mesh editing. It becomes second nature to zip over to the object or point move/rotate/scale buttons and click.

One more thing to learn to use is the Axis buttons. There's a button to show/hide the axes, click it and the Axes appear (if hidden) and then they're moveable using the object buttons. Click Arrow and the axes stay visible. Click the Axes button again _before clicking Arrow_ and they hide. The Delete key can also be used to hide displayed axes but use with caution! In older versions, the Axes were shown in white while the mesh was orange when in Axes editing mode. then some %%@# at Caligari got the harebrain idea to make non-selected stuff near-white instead of orange like it always was before.

The button with the orange cube and axes moves them to the center of the selected object or selected group. Group Axes are blue, white for single object Axes. Normalize location yoinks the currently selected Object, Group or Axes to the origin.

I've attached my custom tS 6.6 UI config. Unzip it to the Configs folder in your trueSpace folder, then use the Configurations library to Import it. It's for a wide monitor so if you bring it into a normal ratio screen, for some reason it pushes the toolbar at the lower right with the Undo, Redo, Glue etc buttons down to cover the toolbar with the Object and Eye navigation mode buttons. Just click and drag up a bit on the handle on the toolbar. (If your 4:3 monitor is at some real high resolution like 1440 wide, it probably won't do that.)

In that toolbar, 3rd button down in the rightmost column, is the Icon Finder. Click it and a HUGE panel opens with every available button on it. Click'em to use them or you can Shift OR Control drag buttons from the Finder or the toolbars to construct custom toolbars. Shift or Control drag to the the Recycle Bin at the lower left to remove buttons from toolbars. That's also how you unload tSx plugins.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:17:13 am by bizzybody »

Offline dr22

Hi All; Hey guys thanks for the info. I'll be using it soon. I will also go to the web sights and I've downloaded the zip file, though I only have ts5.2 right now I am thinking of buying 6.6 as it is only $98 right now along with 10 tutorials. Thanks again. Have a great day all. :-)

Offline dr22

Hi All; Well as hard as I try I still can't color parts of an object. I select faces and try to color just those faces' but the whole object gets colored. Can't seem to figure this out. What a bummer. I guess I'm just extra thick this year. Thanks for your help though. I'll keep trying. Have a great day all. And Happy Thanksgiving. Go ahead eat to much. lol. Bye for now :-)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
You need to use the button with the Brush to paint faces. The button with the Funnel paints the whole object.