Author Topic: Bizzybody's Terminal Velocity ships thread  (Read 15937 times)

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
MOTHER and GULL1 from Terminal Velocity
Here we have MOTHER and GULL1.

Mother looks like a bomber to me, so I gave it a pair of my rotary bomb pods under the wings, in addition to a couple of guns under the nose. I decided to boolean it all (except guns and pods) into a single mesh to make it easier to fix up the wing to fuselage join.

Gull1's original model had the most awful geometry so far of the TV ships. First I had to correct the self-intersecting geometry on the dorsal scoop, then I chose which half of the body was least bad, sliced it in half and mirrored that. Then I was able to get on to fixing it up. The dorsal scoop is fairly close to a duplicate in shape of the original. The wings got a lot of rework and re-shaping. They're separate pieces.

From the looks of these models, it makes me think the designer was given 15 minutes to think up and create each one, with someone standing over them with a stopwatch.  :ick:

The ZIP just includes the originals and my modified versions.

http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/TV/MotherGull.zip
"They were really only teeny little A-bombs, honest!" Dr. Charles Dart

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Re: MOTHER and GULL1 from Terminal Velocity
 :yes: as always

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Oi! It's yet another Terminal Velocity ship that's been kicked up a notch. BAM!
It packs four gun bays, two missile bays (the forward ones underneath) and a bomb bay in the belly. After making the upper gun bays I had a look back along the side and it didn't look like there was enough room to fit anything in there, so I created the lumped up blisters for what would be removable access covers over the weapons.

I've also included a pair of fixed up original wings that'd be useful for LOD.

http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/TV/SNOWFTR.zip

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Level of Detail, usually.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Yet another Terminal Velocity ship, the Icebird. Really stonking fast, small number of light weapons, large magazine capacity.

http://members.ispwest.com/gregg1/TV/ICEBRD.zip

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Somehow i think the classic and milestone game of its era might deserve a tad more detailed models.. Granted that originals were just single color thingyes.

BTW... Where did you come up with 'Space Viking' tag?
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Compared to the original model, that has plenty of added detail. The original textures are greyscale and the game used palette files to assign colors. I only have the demo with the first world, so the textures are extra crappy.

I'd like to find a download of the full game, floppy disk version so it'll be smaller. I don't care about playing it I just want to rip the rest of the models. I did the Hawk today, I think that's the last ship in the demo.

There are some other models but they're not ships or they won't open in binedit.

As for "Space Viking"... Some years back I needed a backup name for IRC and everything I could think of was taken. Finally I thought of KVUGNG. You say "Wuh?"? KVUGNG was the code sent to the Mars Viking 1 orbiter to release the Viking 1 lander back in 1976. (I've never been able to find out why NASA chose that, or what code was used for Viking 2.)

Viking, in space, Space Viking. That became my alter-ego for a while on IRC. K'Voo-gung! The Space Viking! "Space Viking" also happens to be the title of one of the best 1960's SciFi novels. Written by H. Beam Piper. Other great books by him are "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen", "The Complete Fuzzy", "Uller Uprising", "Lone Star Planet", "The Cosmic Computer", "Four Day Planet" and several others. The original publisher changed the title of "Lone Star Planet" to "A Planet for Texans", "The Cosmic Computer" to "Junkyard Planet" and thought they had better ideas than the author's titles on some others.

Ace Books reprinted all of Piper's books and short stories, with the original titles and where possible, as he originally wrote them. (Many editors in the 50's and 60's often made major changes in SF books without even bothering to ask the authors permission.) Piper had the unfortunate habit of burning his original manuscripts when they didn't sell right away. Nobody knows how many of his unpublished books went up in flames. Only one or two unpublished stories were found after his death, and nobody knows what happened to the extensive collection of notes and other material he had collected for his "Terro-Human Future History" in which most of his stories were set.

H. Beam Piper shot himself in 1964 because his wife left him, and he hadn't heard from his publisher about "Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen". Piper's agent had died and unfortunately the agent was one of those people who kept everything in his head and didn't have a secretary. He'd hired a new agent, who turned out to be a do-nothing type of person who couldn't be bothered to check with the publisher about payments. The publisher was trying to get a big check to Piper for "Kalvan". Meanwhile- Piper was shooting pigeons from his apartment window for food.

Several of his books and short stories are on Project Gutenberg. http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/authors/p#a8301

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
The tiger was pretty much the meanest looking fighter in the game, and i figured it was one of the few which deserved a rebuild, so here it is in .OBJ format! if you use this in a mod, please give me credit for coverting/adding a few hundred polygons :P

http://www.mediafire.com/?4id1wmcxlml

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Mean old fury 3 fighter
Is it just an impression, or...this model looks like Colony Wars' S-5 Vampire League scout fighter?!?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Never played it. would'nt know.

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Yup, from Terminal Velocity.

The original was for some crazy reason nearly standing on its nose. (Yup, the clunky original is in its normal orientation.) The original in .obj, the one piece rebuilt model in the pictures, and one with the rebuilt wing and body separate are in the ZIP for those who want to fiddle with things on their own.

http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/TV/hawk.zip

Offline bizzybody

• Space Viking
    • Fandemonium 2008!
Who knew the Shivans were in TV?
When I opened this up in BinEdit, my first thought was "SHIVAN!" ;)

I twiddled things around to fit the wings and body together, raised and shaped the top side of the body to blend to the vertical spiky thing, and put an engine exhaust under the rear, with a bit of inverse beveling- which is what led to how the rear wings got fit up to the body.

I think this would make a dandy beam fighter. Just that one BIG beam cannon is all it packs for armament. If you don't think the cannon looks like something you'd find on a Shivan fighter, change it!

http://members.aceweb.com/gregg1/TV/ali2.zip

Re: Who knew the Shivans were in TV?
If I was any good at modelling/texturing, I'd be interested. :P

Are you doing a TV conversion mod or something 'cause you have made an awful lot of these.
"I only miss what I don't hit."
Show me something that beats 87 BF reds and I'll show you Hateful Lies!!!

Are you doing a TV conversion mod or something 'cause you have made an awful lot of these.

Seriously, QFT.

Secondly, though I'm not familiar with TV, that ship looks like the kernel for a good ship. Kinda looks like a Death Glider from Stargate SG-1.

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, most people make one thread and just post new stuff to it.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Erm, who were you posting at? (your post didn't seem to mesh with mine...)

|[===---(-         
    ||
 =(||==)_
    ||_____|
 =(||==)
    ||                   
    |[===---(-                             

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me. Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back. Burn the land boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me. There's no place I can be since I've found Serenity. But you can't take the sky from me." - Ballad of Serenity

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the person you quoted for win purposes.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together